Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanity514)
    Ok so I've some how got the answer..here's how

First you wanna split the middle part into two triangles.
    The horizontal component of on the ring will therefore be mcos30.
    SInce this is perpendicular to the plane this is the reaction force.
    Now you wanna find the friction thingy on the vertical string not the string on the pully. If the system was not in rest the ring would move up the vertical string (logic).
    Therefore friction acts downwards of the vertical string and force acts up. Now you want the force that acts up the string. This is found from resolving the forces on the top triangle. If you resolve it the verticale force is msin30. m being the mass of that black particle. Since the ring is stationary, mewR=msin30. (mew is coefficient of friction). But you know R is mcos30 as explained above. so Mewmcos30=msin30.
    Cancel the m out from both sides. gives sin30=Mewcos30. Mew=sin30/cos30

Which gives 0.577.

Hope it helps and tanks for posting this got me thinkin.
    Excuse spelling mistakes please lol

Any pictures of the diagram you drew?

I'm wondering how you split it into two triangles.
    :confused:
    Help please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pearlypearl)
    How did you rearrange Z(-mgcos60+mg) to get mg(cos60Z+Z) ?
    Shouldn't it be mgZ(1-cos60) ?
    I posted that solution in April, but yeah, you're right, it should.
    In my solution I think I labeled the friction and reaction forces wrong, which is why it doesnt work.

The Reaction force points horizontally left because the loop in the string is been pulled against the egde of the ring creating a reaction force in the opposite direction. (You assume it's horizontal since the string is about in the middle of the ring on the picture)

If there was no friction, the ring would slip downwards since the downward forces on the ring (mg) are greater then the upward forces on the ring (mgcos60). Since the system is in eqm, the friction must be acting upwards.

From this, the reaction force is mgsin60 meaning friction is Zmgsin60. (Resolve horizontally)
    Friction is also mg-mgcos60. (Resolve Vertically)

mg-mgcos60=Zmgsin60
    1-cos60=Zsin60
    Z=0.577

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    I posted that solution in April, but yeah, you're right, it should.
    In my solution I think I labeled the friction and reaction forces wrong, which is why it doesnt work.

The Reaction force points horizontally left because the loop in the string is been pulled against the egde of the ring creating a reaction force in the opposite direction. (You assume it's horizontal since the string is about in the middle of the ring on the picture)

If there was no friction, the ring would slip downwards since the downward forces on the ring (mg) are greater then the upward forces on the ring (mgcos60). Since the system is in eqm, the friction must be acting upwards.

From this, the reaction force is mgsin60 meaning friction is Zmgsin60. (Resolve horizontally)
    Friction is also mg-mgcos60. (Resolve Vertically)

mg-mgcos60=Zmgsin60
    1-cos60=Zsin60
    Z=0.577

Thanks a lot ! :^_^::^_^:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.