Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Guys : Going to see a girl in a foreign country ? watch

Announcements

So, I am from France, and I met a guy from London this summer, only spent an hour or so with him, we just had a drink and went for a walk, and afterwards we didn't talk much. But a few months ago we started talking again, on facebook, and out of nowhere he decided he'd come to see me in my city, in one month, staying at my house and that (he's a student and I still live at my parents').

He never showed any signs whether he liked me or not, never. He called me a couple of times "pretty", but that's it. We obviously get along though, as he's coming around !

But basically guys, if you met a girl from a foreign country, and she invited you to come over, knowing that you'll have to pay for the flight tickets etc (it's going to cost him quite a lot, maybe around 300£ for 4 days), would you happily go? Even though you don't think she could be more than a friend ?

I really like him , but I kind of fear the rejection, if I try anything and he says no, as he's going to live with me for 4 days....!

ReputationRep:
    Try stuff on the last day then

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he wants to go to France? I mean, a bit like Couchsurfing, but with a person he's already met.

ReputationRep:
    *has a vag an answers anyway from a different perspective*

If it was that soon and sudden I'd think he was a creeper, tbh. But if you had been talking for a few months, properly, not just "how are you, fine, bye" it makes sense. I would consider going even if they were just a friend.

(Original post by Cicerao)
    *has a vag an answers anyway from a different perspective*

If it was that soon and sudden I'd think he was a creeper, tbh. But if you had been talking for a few months, properly, not just "how are you, fine, bye" it makes sense. I would consider going even if they were just a friend.
    I did not invite him though, he planned the trip. We kind of organised it together.

ReputationRep:
    if he's coming all that way to see/stay with you he won't say no - trust me

ReputationRep:
    If he gets easyjet it will be ok

ReputationRep:
    there's no guarantee that he'll get pussy when he get's there. so if i were him i wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    You should not be allowed.

(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
    there's no guarantee that he'll get pussy when he get's there. so if i were him i wouldn't.
    Well that wasn't really my question.. You wouldn't go if you weren't sure to get the girl once you're there?
    I'm asking if you'd go even though you didn't want the girl..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well that wasn't really my question.. You wouldn't go if you weren't sure to get the girl once you're there?
    I'm asking if you'd go even though you didn't want the girl..
    no man would go abroad to visit a girl that he doesn't want; unless she is a really, really close friend (which you don't seem to be). if a man is going to that length to see you it means that he wants you.

ReputationRep:
    maybe he wanted to go to France too and meeting you would be nice for him, as well as free accommodation

(Original post by Refrigerator)
    maybe he wanted to go to France too and meeting you would be nice for him, as well as free accommodation
    I guess I'll never know then, eh?
    I hope you're wrong though

ReputationRep:
    Having done this before, and planning to do it again, here's some advice:

(1) He definitely likes you, and he wouldn't travel there if he didn't. I talked in person with the girl I visited for maybe a total of 6 hours, we really hit it off, but only started talking on skype about 4 months later. I planned to go to her country again to visit her, but I made some other backup plans too - the first time. The second trip is just to see her. Why did I do it? She's an extremely good match, shares my religious views, hobbies, life outlook, and by complete coincidence, one of my closest friends in the US is a mutual friend. It's very hard to find anyone like this girl in the States. Beyond that, there's a spark when I'm with her that just isn't there for anyone else. So yeah, I'm aware that I'm taking a risk, but that risk is worth it to me under these particular circumstances. Chances are your guy feels the same way.

(2) Since he's in your home, you need to make some moves to indicate that you're interested. When I visited this girl the first time, we were really carefully supervised, and I wasn't going to be the first mover since I didn't want to get kicked out and stranded in rural Eastern Europe.

(3) The cultural differences might throw him off a little. I found that speaking in a foreign language, getting used to different kinds of food, levels of formality and respect, etc. was really difficult at the same time as I was getting to know this girl better - and I actually have a lot more familiarity with this culture than the vast majority of Americans. Everything was new - not just the girl!

Good luck! Although I think the chances of a relationship like this working out long-term are slim, if this guy thinks you're a risk worth taking, then you're starting from a good position.

ReputationRep:
    He probably just want to visit France?

You won't know until he's there. If you're nervous about it, you should have gotten to know him better before you invited him to stay with you (and your parents! how do they feel about this?). It might get awkward, but not much to do about it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artvandelay)
    He probably just want to visit France?

You won't know until he's there. If you're nervous about it, you should have gotten to know him better before you invited him to stay with you (and your parents! how do they feel about this?). It might get awkward, but not much to do about it now.
    no need to be that negative when you don't really know the story. These kinds of answers just put people down, and you have no reason to be like that.

For your information, something did happen, it wasn't awkward at all, we were extremely comfortable with each other, and I visited him again at his house a few months later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlepotatoe)
    no need to be that negative when you don't really know the story. These kinds of answers just put people down, and you have no reason to be like that.

For your information, something did happen, it wasn't awkward at all, we were extremely comfortable with each other, and I visited him again at his house a few months later.
    You said he hasn't said anything about liking you? People are not trying to bring you down, they are just trying to prepare you for the likely possibility that he is primarily interested in visiting France. There is a saying along the lines of "if you have to ask whether a guy likes you, he doesn't".

If you really like him, then try to talk to him before he arrives, be a tad flirtatious and see what kind of response you'll get.

ReputationRep:
    LOl london isn't foregihn country

LONDON - Paris
    Paris- Londong = same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denironicholson)
    You said he hasn't said anything about liking you? People are not trying to bring you down, they are just trying to prepare you for the likely possibility that he is primarily interested in visiting France. There is a saying along the lines of "if you have to ask whether a guy likes you, he doesn't".

If you really like him, then try to talk to him before he arrives, be a tad flirtatious and see what kind of response you'll get.
    :lol: at not even reading the OP before replying....................

if you bothered to take 3 seconds and apply some reading comprehension:

the OP was in April
    the guy was going to France in May
    he smashed it.

btw there's NO WAY I go abroad to meet a woman if I haven't had sex with her, unless it's guaranteed from her, OR I can meet another woman out there anyways (virtual freeroll)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.