Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegans and Veggies answer this question please... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    I'd understand that reasoning for someone who likes eating meat but can't for health reasons etc. But if someone just doesn't want to eat meat because animals dying saddens them why would they want to eat an impression of a meat burger?
    Because I love meat, meat is delicious. I love the taste of steak and bacon so much, but I feel really bad eating it because I know an animal died, so I eat a substitute that is as close to the real thing as possible.

What's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Because I love meat, meat is delicious. I love the taste of steak and bacon so much, but I feel really bad eating it because I know an animal died, so I eat a substitute that is as close to the real thing as possible.

What's the problem?
    The problem for the OP is the confusion of the association of a food with meat, which someone disagrees with.

Imagine if someone gave you a fake aborted foetus to try, would you be 100% comfortable eating it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    If you are against the consumption of meat why do your substitutes try to resemble meat?

I just don't understand.

Take Quorn for example, even the adverts try and push the idea that it's meat without being meat.

If you don't eat meat why do some of you have a meal that is a 'fake' meat meal. Instead could you not have a meal with no meat with out making it seem meat based?
    The stupidest post on TSR since records began. Vegetarians dislike the idea of harming animals not the idea of meat...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    The problem for the OP is the confusion of the association of a food with meat, which someone disagrees with.

Imagine if someone gave you a fake aborted foetus to try, would you be 100% comfortable eating it?
    I'd actually quite be up for eating that just to see what it was like

ReputationRep:
    The amount of animals killed for animal-substitute meat is a lot less than the amount killed for meat. I would assume that it's a tasty enough substitute for the vegetarians who hark back to a more standard type of meal.

Something to eat with the 2 veg, put in the pasta, etc.

ReputationRep:
    If it's for ethical reasons, then I would assume that they might still like the taste of meat and want to eat something that is similar.
    Myself, I don't eat meat because I don't actually like the taste/texture and therefore nor do I like or eat the 'fake meat'. It's ****ing disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    You usually find it's only converted people have the stuff rather than life-longs. Meat's a hard habit to get out of. It's like having one of those fake cigarettes that just gives you nicotine.

ReputationRep:
    Just because veggies and vegans don't agree with killing animals for food doesn't mean we don't like the taste. I'm a vegan, and I loved the taste of meat, I can't deny it, but I refuse to let animals suffer just so I can enjoy a flavour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I'd actually quite be up for eating that just to see what it was like
    Okay, although that wasn't what I was asking. And the reason I asked it is, you can understand why people wouldn't be 100% comfortable with it, so the OP is confused of why veggies and vegans are okay with fake-meat, if it's something they dislike so much.

(Original post by icarus_xx)
    The amount of animals killed for animal-substitute meat is a lot less than the amount killed for meat. I would assume that it's a tasty enough substitute for the vegetarians who hark back to a more standard type of meal.

Something to eat with the 2 veg, put in the pasta, etc.
    I'm not sure that's true of quorn, which relies on eggs.

(Original post by Evil Monkey)
    You usually find it's only converted people have the stuff rather than life-longs. Meat's a hard habit to get out of. It's like having one of those fake cigarettes that just gives you nicotine.
    This. I eat fake meat, but I don't think of most of it like meat, at all.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.