Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

For the past 3 years I have been saving in an ISA with HSBC. However, the interest rate is rubbish.

Santander are doing 3.3% (though advertising 3.5% in store) but not allowing transfers from previous years. Halifax are offering 3.0% but allowing in transfers from previous years.

Now if I were to transfer my past ISA savings to Halifax, would all of those 3 years all receive 3.0% interest over the year? Or is that only for the £5,340 that I put in this year? If the answer is that only this year receives 3.0%, what interest will the previous years get? I will phone and ask but I'm about to go on holiday, so cannot do it for another week.

This next part may sound confusing, but bear with me. Am I able to transfer my past 3 years of my ISA over to Halifax WITHOUT setting up a new ISA quota this year with them? Could I in effect transfer over my existing ISA savings to Halifax, but put this year's maximum amount in a Santander ISA?

Many thanks for anyone that can help.

Please QUOTE me if you respond. I'm very grateful for all knowledgable responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_ron)
    x
    If you transfer your previous years' ISA subscriptions to Halifax you'll get 3.0% on the entire balance (you could also get an additional 0.2% if you have a 'qualifying' current account with them and meet a few other conditions, taking the rate to 3.2%).

In fact, your plan sounds like exactly what I'm doing. I have previous years' subscriptions currently held with Nationwide and Santander. I'm getting both of these balances transferred to a new ISA with Halifax, to get the 3.2%. For 2011/12, I'm then subscribing to a new ISA with Santander and paying in the £5,340 allowance, to get the 3.3% rate on that. It's a little admin-heavy, but should work if you want to get the higher rate - even if it is only an additional £5 or so. There's also the benefit that with Santander, the interest rate automatically tracks bank rate, which I don't think the Halifax rate does.

When opening the Halifax ISA, you'll note that part of the online declaration states that you're going to subscribe to a new ISA with them for 2011/12, but having queried this with them they've confirmed that this won't apply if you don't actually pay in 'new' money for the year.

As a note, the 3.5% rate with Santander relies on you having a qualifying current account with them (similar to the way that the Halifax rate works).

ReputationRep:
    I see. That's really helpful, thank you. I think I may just transfer it all to Halifax. Setting up a whole extra account for an extra £5 interest probably isn't worth it - I hadn't thought about it like that. So yeah, think I'll transfer it all to Halifax.

Do you happen to know if I need to set up a current account with them? And can I access it all online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony_ron)
    I see. That's really helpful, thank you. I think I may just transfer it all to Halifax. Setting up a whole extra account for an extra £5 interest probably isn't worth it - I hadn't thought about it like that. So yeah, think I'll transfer it all to Halifax.

Do you happen to know if I need to set up a current account with them? And can I access it all online?
    Yeah, that's fair enough. I already have some money with Santander, so opening the new account there isn't *too* much hassle for me.

There's no need to open a current account with Halifax to open their ISA, though you can get the additional 0.2% on the interest rate if you do and pay in £1,000 per month. You can definitely access and manage the account online - in fact, that's the focus of the account and it *can't* be managed (except for deposits) via branches.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.