Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, title pretty much sums it up: I'm an undergraduate, and really starting to panic. I do love French and am glad I'm studying it at uni (joint honours), but the main module you absolutely have to pass - core language - is typically the one I'm struggling with.
    I'm thinking I'm going about working on it the wrong way or perhaps not got enough access to good resources? Unless there's no tips and all I can genuinely do is sit there and learn rules rather than pick things up any other way?

Basically, we've had 2 grammar tests so far this academic year - each worth 7% of the core language module, and I've managed to fail them both. I got 35% and 37%, I think, which I am aware is just awful. There's a big language test at the end of term which is worth 50% of the entire module so I definitely need to do well in that but just feel so overwhelmed. And obviously I have my other subject's exams to revise for as well, but all I'm panicking about right now is grammar (which I'm aware is risky).

Anyway, all the waffle aside: does anyone have any tips or advice for tackling French grammar and SOMEHOW making it more interesting, lol? Or any good website links etc.? Would be MUCH appreciated - even some words of comfort would help right now!

ReputationRep:
    "French grammar" is pretty wide, and by giving it a big umbrella title you're making it one big scary impossible mountain to climb. Break it down by making a list of SPECIFIC things you struggle with (things like adverbial pronouns, relative pronouns and adjective/adverb usage are things people often find tricky, as well as certain tenses/moods). If you're not sure where you're going wrong then ask your tutor or look over work that you've had corrected.

Once you're know where you're going wrong, you can target the problem. The bad news is, it is largely a matter of learning rules - I have yet to find a "fun" way of learning grammar. Bescherelle is the best book, and if you master its contents you'll be able to correct natives I also find french.about.com has info on pretty much every area of French and explains things clearly.

Finally, don't feel bad, French grammar IS tricky with more rules than exceptions, and even natives (especially natives :p:) make mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    "French grammar" is pretty wide, and by giving it a big umbrella title you're making it one big scary impossible mountain to climb. Break it down by making a list of SPECIFIC things you struggle with (things like adverbial pronouns, relative pronouns and adjective/adverb usage are things people often find tricky, as well as certain tenses/moods). If you're not sure where you're going wrong then ask your tutor or look over work that you've had corrected.

Once you're know where you're going wrong, you can target the problem. The bad news is, it is largely a matter of learning rules - I have yet to find a "fun" way of learning grammar. Bescherelle is the best book, and if you master its contents you'll be able to correct natives I also find french.about.com has info on pretty much every area of French and explains things clearly.

Finally, don't feel bad, French grammar IS tricky with more rules than exceptions, and even natives (especially natives :p:) make mistakes.
    THANK YOU for your reply! I guess I just need to reassure myself and hear reassurance that it is in fact difficult and I'm not totally thick. Didn't help that we didn't do any at A level, but loads of people who did other syllabuses seem to know everything! Pretty naive and stupid of me not to learn it beforehand, but what's done is done... I feel like I've wasted a lot of time not doing it this year too and now it's all spiralling out of control arghhh! I've got a month though before exams and just need to get on with it all, I guess...

ReputationRep:
    Marilyn's said everything I believe.
    You need to get your papers and review your errors, try and find your weaknesses so you can correct them. Also, never think you know for certain a rule or a spelling, always check when you can to prevent bad habits.
    Bescherelle's indeed one of the best, the most well-known in France. "Tu fais tellement de fautes qu'on va t'acheter un Bescherelles pour Noël" and sentences like this one are fairly common for instance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.