Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance help: max. loan for London unis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I am applying for student finance and I am on the bit where they ask you on how much you want - if you just want the standard amounts or whether you'd like your household income to be taken into account. Because I've chosen a London uni and my household income is above the threshold, I should receive ~ £6900+ loan right? well I click the 'continue based on your household income' button and the next page asked how much i'd like out of the available loan and I obviously ticked 'maximum'

However,the page after that claims that the maximum loan I am requesting for is £4988 which is the normal loan for those out of London :/ but I'd like to apply for a loan based on the fact that I might be going to a London uni which means the max should be more? Or is it like this for everyone until you provide evidence? :/

ReputationRep:
    £4988 is the basic loan for in London (i.e. without your income taken into account, or if your household income is over the threshold for means tested finance).

You only get more if you are entitled to means tested finance (i.e. your parents earn under 60k). The maximum loan is the amount you get when you're just over the threshold for a grant; i.e. at 50k, you get the maximum loan and no grant. Between 50 and 60k this then decreases from the maximum to the basic loan.

If your household income is above the threshold, then £4988 is correct; if it's not, then I would imagine it would change once you've provided evidence. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    £4988 is the basic loan for in London (i.e. without your income taken into account, or if your household income is over the threshold for means tested finance).

You only get more if you are entitled to means tested finance (i.e. your parents earn under 60k). The maximum loan is the amount you get when you're just over the threshold for a grant; i.e. at 50k, you get the maximum loan and no grant. Between 50 and 60k this then decreases from the maximum to the basic loan.

If your household income is above the threshold, then £4988 is correct; if it's not, then I would imagine it would change once you've provided evidence. :dontknow:
    Oh okay thanks! It makes sense now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of going to uni in London next year. My parents earn over £60k between them, so does that mean I'll get less than a 5k loan? My accomodation will cost more than that :O Although my parents are probably considered as relatively high earners, this doesnt mean they'll be able to give me financial help, as they have other things like mortgages/loans to worry about. Surely its unfair that i get such a **** loan even though I'll be getting no help atall from my parents?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.