The Student Room Group

MyDoom Virus

Just wondered how many uni's this virus affected - i know Exeter has it from the announcement, and its been going round UEA (the whole Uni has been sent at least 10 emails with it in). I stupidly clicked on an attachment (because the email appeared to be from one of the IT persons here) and got the virus. Have managed to sort it now though which is impressive for me, but anyone who has got it needs to get rid of it by February 1st as it becomes active then...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chicken
Just wondered how many uni's this virus affected - i know Exeter has it from the announcent, and its been going round UEA (the whole Uni has been sent at least 10 emails with it in). I stupidly clicked on an attachment (because the email appeared to be from one of the IT persons here) and got the virus. Have managed to sort it now though which is impressive for me, but anyone who has got it needs to get rid of it by February 1st as it becomes active then...

i think its going around durham and why the quote lou p lou made to me in your sig?
Reply 2
Chicken
Just wondered how many uni's this virus affected - i know Exeter has it from the announcent, and its been going round UEA (the whole Uni has been sent at least 10 emails with it in). I stupidly clicked on an attachment (because the email appeared to be from one of the IT persons here) and got the virus. Have managed to sort it now though which is impressive for me, but anyone who has got it needs to get rid of it by February 1st as it becomes active then...

As far as I know the activation only means a D.D.O.S. to SCO and Microsoft in the new variant.
Reply 3
I believe oxford is still free of it (the network seems fine and not lagging), but i know of a few people that have been sent it from outside. fortunately they didn't open the attachment
Reply 4
elpaw
I believe oxford is still free of it (the network seems fine and not lagging), but i know of a few people that have been sent it from outside. fortunately they didn't open the attachment

the network at exeter is holding up fine, but every day we get emails with it in, people just ignore them now
Reply 5
Ollie
the network at exeter is holding up fine, but every day we get emails with it in, people just ignore them now

Yeah the network here hasn't gone rubbish either, I don't think too many people were stupid enough to click on the attachment (like me :redface: ). Its quite easy to remove if you do have it though (even I managed it)...
I'm not at uni or anything, but loads of people know my e-mail address and I don't get any of these viruses. Most viruses I got in my Hotmail inbox rather than the POP mailbox I get right now. Although there is a steadily increasing flow of "Enlarge Your Penis" e-mails... I've set up a spam filter to stop them though. And I can guess exactly which joker probably signed me up to them; the only problem is it's impossible to opt out really.
Reply 7
thefish_uk
I'm not at uni or anything, but loads of people know my e-mail address and I don't get any of these viruses. Most viruses I got in my Hotmail inbox rather than the POP mailbox I get right now. Although there is a steadily increasing flow of "Enlarge Your Penis" e-mails... I've set up a spam filter to stop them though. And I can guess exactly which joker probably signed me up to them; the only problem is it's impossible to opt out really.

I think this email has mostly affected uni's though, nobody else has said to me that they've got it...
Reply 8
Chicken
I think this email has mostly affected uni's though, nobody else has said to me that they've got it...

unis are more affected because of the nature of their semi-self-containment. it is easy to send one email that goes to every single inbox in the uni's network. and because once people have opened them, they are sent again, usually to the same addresses within the uni, being bounced back and forth, so it just clogs the unis server.
Reply 9
elpaw
unis are more affected because of the nature of their semi-self-containment. it is easy to send one email that goes to every single inbox in the uni's network. and because once people have opened them, they are sent again, usually to the same addresses within the uni, being bounced back and forth, so it just clogs the unis server.

Well i think it started when the head of the uni IT services got it, and of course her contacts include the entire uni, so it went to everybody. She shouldn;t have got it in the first place though, being the IT person. I don't think I sent it to anybody, I don't save any contacts in my uni email address book.
Chicken
Well i think it started when the head of the uni IT services got it, and of course her contacts include the entire uni, so it went to everybody. She shouldn;t have got it in the first place though, being the IT person. I don't think I sent it to anybody, I don't save any contacts in my uni email address book.

Catching viruses?

Ha, typical IT person. When the Love Bug came our school network was clogged up by it, I could just imagine our IT tech excitedly opening this "love letter" addressed to him and then getting smacked by his boss for being naughty.
Reply 11
Newcastles still fine atm, theres lots of warnings up about it though.
Well my junk e-mail account is full of e-mails that are different to the junk i usually get, so i haven't opened those, because they seemed suspicious.
Ollie

if you say so....i can no longer send or recieve emails...and they've banned anyone using outlook/outlook express or any similar systems...

love Katy ***
Reply 14
Iluvatar
Well my junk e-mail account is full of e-mails that are different to the junk i usually get, so i haven't opened those, because they seemed suspicious.

The virus is in emails with the subject 'HELLO' or 'Hi' or 'test' or something along those lines.
Chicken
The virus is in emails with the subject 'HELLO' or 'Hi' or 'test' or something along those lines.

Oh, well i answered a "Hi :smile:", but that was from some degree course or something, and had no attachments.
But i've currently got four unopened "hello" messages, all from people i've never heard of.
Reply 16
Iluvatar
Oh, well i answered a "Hi :smile:", but that was from some degree course or something, and had no attachments.
But i've currently got four unopened "hello" messages, all from people i've never heard of.

It has a bit of text in the email, above the attachment, and says something along the lines of some text being missing, or something being in binary. It's if you open the attachment that you will get the virus.
Reply 17
eric bischoff
why the quote lou p lou made to me in your sig?

cos it made me laugh. When someone says a better one then i'll change it, but for now that ones staying :tongue: !!
Chicken
It has a bit of text in the email, above the attachment, and says something along the lines of some text being missing, or something being in binary. It's if you open the attachment that you will get the virus.

Well, i didn't open it, but it might be fun to see what happens at the college if i did!!! :smile: :wink:
Reply 19
Iluvatar
Well, i didn't open it, but it might be fun to see what happens at the college if i did!!! :smile: :wink:

lol don't think they'd be too happy with you...

Latest

Trending

Trending