The Student Room Group

Dental phobia :( - Do dentists ever use general anesthetic for procedures?

Scroll to see replies

Your dentist may have gas anaesthesia, which i've heard can be effective on anxious patients.

Just out of interest, why do you suffer from this phobia? Have you had a bad experience with dentists in the past?
Reply 21
Original post by Helenia
Well it's not going to be me any time soon. :frown:
I'm sorry mate, I didn't mean to be a ****. :frown:
take anti-anxiety pills beforehand?
No.

A GA has too many risks to consider giving an adult for dental work. The only circumstance would be extracting lower wisdom teeth very close to the nerve that runs through your jaw and the patient needs to be very still, but this is exceptional.

It would also only work on a referral to hospital basis.

The option that is open to you is IV sedation. Some dental surgeries have the equipment to do it, or you can be referred somewhere that does. But it won't help your phobia.

Your dentist could also prescribe you an anti anxiety med to take before you go.
Reply 24
Original post by Renal
I'm sorry mate, I didn't mean to be a ****. :frown:

Meh, don't worry about it, I'll get there in the end I hope. Just wish I knew where the hell I'm going wrong so I can fix it.
I'm getting some work done and was referred to by my dentist for sedation. I'm only getting the "twilight sleep", but even then I had to wait an extra 2 months for the procedure (NHS dentist). It's worth asking, but bear in mind that you might end up waiting to get treated as a result.
Original post by impossible!
If you ask for general, due to fear reasons, is it likely? Has anyone got any exp of this?

When I was about 10 they used general on me to remove some teeth, because I was crying and wouldn't let them do it. But obviously, I was young so I think it's more plausible. I'd think they are used to people having phobias, I'm just wondering what the options are.

I think they will if it's really bad, but it won't be NHS you'll have to have it done private in a hospital, and they will advie against it cos it can make you feel very groggy and there is a slight risk.

Go and see your GP,I did because I have dental phobia too, it's all I think about, it's taken over my whole life. So he's given me some Valium to take for check-ups and procedures. It's a sedative, it will reduce anxiety, make you sleepy, and cause you to forget the experience. Perfect!
It depends on the person and the procedure. But people with anxiety often feel pain with LA because we think it's going to hurt. We need a distraction.
Reply 28
i got put to sleep at 18 to have a tooth removed because i was too scared to sit in the chair and be awake :biggrin:
I get a prescription for Diazepam before I go to see my dentist. She writes me one up each time, it's great.

I'd definitely recommend going down the anti-anxiety / tranquilizer meds and local anaesthetic road, rather than going for a full general. GA's carry great risks, not really worth it, imo.
Reply 30
Original post by Ilora-Danon
I get a prescription for Diazepam before I go to see my dentist. She writes me one up each time, it's great.

I'd definitely recommend going down the anti-anxiety / tranquilizer meds and local anaesthetic road, rather than going for a full general. GA's carry great risks, not really worth it, imo.

Did you just go to your doctor and explain the situation, and then they prescribed you some?
Did you just go to your doctor and explain the situation, and then they prescribed you some?

Your dentist can prescribe it :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Magnanimity
Your dentist can prescribe it :smile:

Ah, thanks. I'll be sure to ask when I go in.

Tooth ache is getting worse. It will soon be time :afraid:
My dentist writes the prescription... I'm a private patient, rather than NHS.
Reply 34
Original post by Ayshizzle
Your dentist may have gas anaesthesia, which i've heard can be effective on anxious patients.

Just out of interest, why do you suffer from this phobia? Have you had a bad experience with dentists in the past?

When I was really young I had to have teeth removed because of overcrowding. The dentist told me to put my hand in the air if it hurt and I wanted a break. I did just that when it started to hurt, but they didn't stop...:frown: Because I was so young at the time it's just stuck with me as a bad memory and I now have an irrational phobia.
I just found out that I have a check-up in he morning. I hope these f****** pills work!!!
I was terrified of dentists when i was younger aged 7 I got a baby tooth pulled out with no pain relief it was the worst experience of my life.
Reply 37
Original post by thegodofgod
Yeah - the dentist that my dad goes to definitely uses GA as my dad can't stand being conscious - he's afraid of feeling pain :erm:

hi where can i find a dentist that still uses ga x
If you ask for general, due to fear reasons, is it likely? Has anyone got any exp of this?

When I was about 10 they used general on me to remove some teeth, because I was crying and wouldn't let them do it. But obviously, I was young so I think it's more plausible. I'd think they are used to people having phobias, I'm just wondering what the options are.

I've had 2 and a 1/2 root canals done in 1 visit (the 2 that were fully done were prepped in a previous visit, and the 1/2 was for when the 3rd one was prepped, so 3 visits in total).

The difference between a normal filling and a root canal is that usually for a root canal, they put a plastic sheet over your mouth only exposing the tooth. This means that you can swallow normally, there is no saliva sucker (I have no idea what it's called) which is SO much more comfortable. You should also get a jaw rest so you don't have to keep your mouth open. They also put you completely flat.

A lot of people will say that root canals hurt. This is true and not true. Mine started to hurt near the end of the procedure, basically because the 2 local anesthetics started to wear off (this was about 1 hour 45 mins in). This will not happen for a single tooth. They should also use a topical gel before the local anesthetic (basically an anesthetic before the anesthetic) so even that doesn't hurt.

I basically almost fell asleep in mine. The dentist had a CD player on with her playlist and was basically singing along to it while drilling in to my teeth. I also got a small break halfway through.

So mine was only slightly uncomfortable, but that's due to having several done at once. One tooth will not be any trouble. It's more comfortable than a normal filling. The worst bit is always the anesthetic, but even they don't hurt so much anymore.
Reply 39
I got general to peel the skin of my gum to pull down a tooth (i asked for it MASSIVE fear of beedles) also got the needle once asleep

Quick Reply

Latest