Turn on thread page Beta

Dental phobia :( - Do dentists ever use general anesthetic for procedures? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got general to peel the skin of my gum to pull down a tooth (i asked for it MASSIVE fear of beedles) also got the needle once asleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    I've had a root canal filling. In fact I had to have it done twice because the idiot dentist did it wrong the first time. Not very pleasant at all. But the pain from the root infection was 10x worse than anything the dentists threw at me.
    The pain after the failed root canal was the worst dental pain I've experienced (once the anesthetic wore off)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alisonhope)
    hi where can i find a dentist that still uses ga x
    There's a dental clinic called Smile in Tottenham, London near the bus depot, but you have to be referred there by your usual dentist .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alisonhope)
    hi where can i find a dentist that still uses ga x
    Dental departments in hospital, generally. You'd have to be referred there by your usual dentist. It is very rare these days to find somewhere outside hospital that will perform dental GAs (in fact the BDA say that GA should only be performed in hospital - http://www.bda.org/dentists/advice/p...aesthesia.aspx ). Talk to your own dentist about your options.

ReputationRep:
    This thread made my skin crawl :afraid:

I have to get my wisdom teeth out and I have hemophilia so can't have it done with local anesthetic, it has to be in hospital under general. I'm terrified about it. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    For normal pulling of teeth, unlikely. If you go private, you can probably ask for it, but obviously you'll pay. Anesthetists are paid by the hour and they're expensive. I'm having two wisdom teeth removed, and due to their position and shape, it is a complicated procedure which will take several hours (they will need to cut the teeth into pieces before removing them). It will cost around £1100. So if you want to ask and offer to pay that, sure. And that's not even general anesthetic, it's sedation.

For 'normal' pulling of teeth, it's local anesthetic. I've had two teeth pulled when I was younger, and it was fine. Uncomfortable, but not too painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    I do need dental work, yeah. It's for a root canal. I don't know if that would class as major
    You need to clean and fill it? I had that many times and it's nothing that painful Believe me, I'm like very afraid of pain and it was nothing compared to when a dentist without a warning or anything cut my teeth gums :eek: Now that was a hell painful!

Just relax, it sounds difficult but it isn't I'm already used to visiting dentists as I've been there like 20+ times And going this week because have problems with 3 teeth again

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I've skipped over the thread, late at night!

Try some Beta-Blockers like Propranolol or Benzodiazepines like Diazepam to help calm your nerves.

ReputationRep:
    I have a serious phobia of dentists I had some bad experiences as a child which have, scarred me. Now I know, I need treatment (two teeth broke in half from eating some popcorn of all things! But if it came to it I'd leave it rather than have it done under local. I just, cannot do it, my fear is real and overrides everything.
    I would rather be fast asleep knowing nothing about it. I can, deal, with the pain afterwards just not the dentistry part! I feel for people like me there should be a GA option. I'll happily, sign up to the risks (which although are there let's be honest they are also quite remote in likihood). People who do not have a genuine phobia of dentists wouldn't understand. I'd rather live with the issues /pain /longer term health issues caused through bad teeth than sit through a, procedure awake. I'm considering going private if the NHS won't allow, GA, there's one in Bristol who offer GA and is of course in a, hospital, setting. My fear is real!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Sorry I've skipped over the thread, late at night!

Try some Beta-Blockers like Propranolol or Benzodiazepines like Diazepam to help calm your nerves.
    Please don't. Messing with prescription grade medication unnecessarily may impact on your dentist's options to manage your pain relief in addition to exposing you to the risk of side effects and adverse reactions. Make sure your dentist knows about all your medication and don't add random extra things to it just because of your phobia.

(Original post by PUre scared)
    I have a serious phobia of dentists I had some bad experiences as a child which have, scarred me. Now I know, I need treatment (two teeth broke in half from eating some popcorn of all things! But if it came to it I'd leave it rather than have it done under local. I just, cannot do it, my fear is real and overrides everything.
    I would rather be fast asleep knowing nothing about it. I can, deal, with the pain afterwards just not the dentistry part! I feel for people like me there should be a GA option. I'll happily, sign up to the risks (which although are there let's be honest they are also quite remote in likihood). People who do not have a genuine phobia of dentists wouldn't understand. I'd rather live with the issues /pain /longer term health issues caused through bad teeth than sit through a, procedure awake. I'm considering going private if the NHS won't allow, GA, there's one in Bristol who offer GA and is of course in a, hospital, setting. My fear is real!!
    General anaesthetic without appropriate monitoring or rapid access to emergency medical facilities is not a small risk. In addition to being a very sizeable and very severe risk it's also a pretty shoddy way to provide pain relief for the procedure: Without appropriate monitoring by an expert anaesthetist there is a chance of you regaining some level of conciousness mid way through.

I can appreciate that your fear is a real issue but GA treatment in surgeries is not a viable option.

ReputationRep:
    I had a general anaesthetic at 8 for having some tooth drawn, but it was at a hospital- where I increased up, physicians and dentist's methods were entirely within medical centers anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2017
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.