Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

about overtaking on the dual-carriageway Watch

ReputationRep:
    say if someone infront is going about 50 mph and you overtake them and are still in the right hand lane and there is a slip road ahead.

do you switch back into the left depending on the speed of the merging cars or stay in the right lane until you've passed it just to be safe?

would that be a driving error on the test for 'lane discipline'?

So the slip road is for traffic joining rather than leaving? I stay out in the outside lane. However officially I'm not sure which you would do in a test, but staying out seems like the safest option to me.

ReputationRep:
    Staying out seems safer, since you don't have to split your concentration into driving on the outline, as well as looking in your mirror and thinking about how to edge towards the right lane

ReputationRep:
    If there is no car joining the carriageway, it's customary to move into the left-most lane as you would normally. There's nothing to prohibit you from doing it, unless there are specific road markings that prevent you (such as those on the M6 around Junction 6). You should only move across if it is safe to do so.

ReputationRep:
    You should pace your self and try to stay in the left lane and let the driver pop in comfortably behind you or in front. A common problem with going to middle lane to let him in is that you try to overtake and he trys to overtake etc. And chances are you are going slowish since you are in the (as mihcael mcintire referes to) looser lane.

I dont have much experience in this as im always in the fast lanes 'overtaking'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khyuma)
    say if someone infront is going about 50 mph and you overtake them and are still in the right hand lane and there is a slip road ahead.

do you switch back into the left depending on the speed of the merging cars or stay in the right lane until you've passed it just to be safe?

would that be a driving error on the test for 'lane discipline'?
    If cars are coming down the on ramp i would stay in the outside lane.

If no cars were coming down the on ramp i would move to the inside lane.

Simples.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.