Turn on thread page Beta

Why are lawyers seen as not useful/crucial to society as doctors? watch

ReputationRep:
    Because doctors get to **** more nurses and can prescribe drugs.

Because of the Hippocratic Oath.

Because doctors have been respected throughout the world, throughout the history of man.

I think lawyers are useful tho, but they don't save ya from cancer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    Well, Doctors do kill people. Lawyers don't?

http://www.naturalnews.com/021206.html

But in all seriousness, lawyers can ensure that innocent people are not convicted of crimes. And such.
    :facepalm:

Maybe because they're dealing with err...really sick people?

ReputationRep:
    We have not enough doctors, but too many lawyers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    They're both useful. Without lawyers, the law wouldn't be sucessfully upheld and more people would be victims of crime.
    Half true, lawyers don't always defend innocent. they defend those who pay them, then find loopholes.

Why is tony blair, goerge bush and all the other war criminals not arrested?

PS: i apologise to you for my past immaturity, it went against all my beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    Half true, lawyers don't always defend innocent. they defend those who pay them, then find loopholes.

Why is tony blair, goerge bush and all the other war criminals not arrested?

PS: i apologise to you for my past immaturity, it went against all my beliefs.
    It depends on your view as to whether they're criminals or not really.

Ah and it's okay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It depends on your view as to whether they're criminals or not really.

Ah and it's okay!
    Indeed, and thank you for accepting, best of luck in your exams

ReputationRep:
    They have a very bad reputation in my parts. They are happy to lie and convince people to lie when they honestly know the crime. Especially public defendents.

They get in the way of the police doing their jobs to stop people beating each other up. They probably on net contribute more to chaos than they take away.

They're about fairness to the criminal, not about making the world a better place for the victim.

ReputationRep:
    Most lawyers are dicks. Even if doctors are just in it for money (luls) at least they're helping people.

That and it doesn't help that our laws are such *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    [Gross generalisation]Doctors become doctors to help others, lawyers become lawyers to get rich[/Gross generalisation]

Lawyers have long had a bad reputation. Too many of them seem to be in it only for their own benefit and this detracts from the good that a lot of them do. Plus, generally politicians studied law...
    Which may explain why generally politicians are liars. Saying that, if the IT industry ever folded, I wouldn't mind retraining as a lawyer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Most lawyers are dicks. Even if doctors are just in it for money (luls) at least they're helping people.

That and it doesn't help that our laws are such *******s.
    If they are dicks, it's because they become so awesome, they implode.

But seriously, you can't have met many lawyers, the one's I've met have all been quite cool, even Lords.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say lawyers are just as important as doctors. A strong legal/criminal/justice system is essential for any healthy society.

Lawyers are essential for making sure people get a fair trial, you can't expect everyone in society to know the law back to front and be able/intelligent/capable enough to defend themselves when accused of something.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think all lawyers are equal.

human rights lawyers are the most repellent-- they tend to be ideologues who use the suffering of people to further their own political agendas.

human rights to most people now means criminals rights. terrorists rights. peadophiles rights etc

no win no fee lawyers are ok, just depends who they are suing and for what purpose.

ReputationRep:
    Without the rule of law, doctors would be pointless. We're the ones who keep you safe in your beds at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Without the rule of law, doctors would be pointless. We're the ones who keep you safe in your beds at night.
    What about the argument that people could simply self-teach themselves the law and represent themselves in court? Or that the state could do the same and just send any old official?

I guess that argument could be countered with the notion that people could self-teach medicine and treat themselves. Although that might be difficult with heart bypass surgery!

ReputationRep:
    Because when you go to a doctor, all the doctors appear to be on your side. When you need a lawyer there's usually an evulz counterpart supporting the other side.

ReputationRep:
    The role of a doctor is almost inherently and universally helpful (theoretically). Society needs lawyers, but surely you can see that the same does not apply to them? For a start, the role is disparate to a far greater extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    i dont think all lawyers are equal.

human rights lawyers are the most repellent-- they tend to be ideologues who use the suffering of people to further their own political agendas.

human rights to most people now means criminals rights. terrorists rights. peadophiles rights etc

no win no fee lawyers are ok, just depends who they are suing and for what purpose.
    You are too stupid to enter into conversation with. You appear to have taken your extreme right wing "politics" as being representative of "most people". This is incorrect.

I hope you die in a fire. Quite genuinely

ReputationRep:
    Because they aren't, really.

(Original post by Cinnamon_Twist)
    What people don't understand is that lawyers don't ONLY do this. That is only criminal law. They also help people evade tax AND help people squeeze out every last penny from some poor soul as 'compensation' for an 'accident or injury' they have suffered recently.
    Lawyers do defend rapists and murderers. They also defend people falsely accused of rape and murder. In order to maintain the right to a fair trial (which I am quite fond of) they must treat the former as the latter.

Lawyers, if they are working within the confines of the law, don't help people evade tax. But they do help people avoid it.

Lawyers do help people squeeze out every last penny from some poor soul as compensation, though I'm not quite sure why you are using accusing quotation marks. They are real words. They also help to squeeze enough compensation out of negligent businesses and organisations so that someone whose life is hugely disrupted by an accident can have the prospect of a halfway decent recovery.

ReputationRep:
    because lawyers defend people who have committed heinous crimes and help people all the while getting payed crap loads.

doctors help people and dont get payed as much, without doctors we could all expect to live to the age of about 40ish. Doctors and scientists are what have helped the UK become a developed country thus improving standard of living and life expectancy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnamon_Twist)
    LOL this! BUT You forgot INJURYLAWYERS4U.

Seriously though there are human rights lawyers who help end suffering and injustice around the world.
    Love the naivety in this post, even though, I do support the HRA.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.