Turn on thread page Beta

Advice on getting a petrol run lawnmower over an electric one please...! watch

ReputationRep:
    Now the summer's back, the lawn needs mowing and nice enough, the electric one we've got has gone up in smoke! Literally, smoke appeared from the engine area.

So having purchased an electric one today and now my brother's thinking about petrol/oil one. My next door neighbour use to use them but I wouldn't mind saying no but just fear it might be susceptible to having problems and regular issues.

Any other lawn mowers out there got any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Real men use kitchen scissors on all fours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Now the summer's back, the lawn needs mowing and nice enough, the electric one we've got has gone up in smoke! Literally, smoke appeared from the engine area.

So having purchased an electric one today and now my brother's thinking about petrol/oil one. My next door neighbour use to use them but I wouldn't mind saying no but just fear it might be susceptible to having problems and regular issues.

Petrol mowers are best for large areas and are great to use as they're much more powerful and push themselves along. The only problem is that they need more maintenance and are costly to run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)

Didn't know they could talk or post threads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Didn't know they could talk or post threads...
    Oh yeah, it's the new found norm these days. (Obviously meant those who mow the lawn and have any tips on the matter)

My dad uses a petrol/oil one. Not really any different, just means you don't have to faff around with the cable every time you turn around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    The only problem is that they need more maintenance and are costly to run.
    That's my only concern. We've got three gardens that will need the cutting, two of them are big whilst the third one is small (all gardens aren't in one house, but another one nextdoor). We're looking to get one from Argos as they have a 1 year guarantee and you can pay abit extra for a 3 yr warranty.

ReputationRep:
    We had a bad boy petrol one, but it needed servicing after every winter, plus it was heavy. Self propelled is ok, if you walk like mole man from the simpsons, so slow.

We have an electric one now, much better for us anyway. Have to think about the cord, but other than that. We have around 1/2 an acre to cut.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As has been said, petrol mowers are ideal for cutting long strips of lawn. Due to their weight and size, not so good for tight corners.
    Fly-mos are great for nipping around small sections of grass in very little time.

Personally I prefer to use a petrol on our garden (it's quite big), mostly so I can feel like a real man if I get it started in one pull of the cord :awesome: Especially when I first take it out of the shed when the engine is still cold.

Also with electrics you've got to faff around throwing the cord over the mower every so often - it's pretty annoying. And running over the cable can be a nightmare (thankfully I've never cut the cable but I did run over it once - no idea how that happened!)

ReputationRep:
    Petrol is also better than electric if you let it grow too long between cuttings - electrics seem to stall very easily and you need to keep stopping to pull out the long grass jamming the blades (after switching off obviously) whereas petrols have the torque to power through.

mo power!

ReputationRep:
    petrols the best, makes alot of noice to anoy the niegbours, u get those nice lines on the grass which look kl if u can cut straight (seperates the men from the boys lol) and it also has the autodrive option so u jus have to walk around with it. one day i hope to have the tractor style grass cutter... now thas a real machine lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Petrol is also better than electric if you let it grow too long between cuttings - electrics seem to stall very easily and you need to keep stopping to pull out the long grass jamming the blades (after switching off obviously) whereas petrols have the torque to power through.

mo power!
    hey ive never used a electric cutter before but how can a electric one stall, and also petrol ones do stall when something gets jammed since the blades connected directly to the crank - the spinning keeps the spark going as soon as it gets stuck it stalls and u have to pull the crap out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    petrols the best, makes alot of noice to anoy the niegbours, u get those nice lines on the grass which look kl if u can cut straight (seperates the men from the boys lol) and it also has the autodrive option so u jus have to walk around with it. one day i hope to have the tractor style grass cutter... now thas a real machine lol
    And one day i'll have this

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)
    And one day i'll have this

:cool:
    pshh ill have one of these :cool:

ReputationRep:

:banana2:
    I'll race you!

ReputationRep:
    hey ive never used a electric cutter before but how can a electric one stall, and also petrol ones do stall when something gets jammed since the blades connected directly to the crank - the spinning keeps the spark going as soon as it gets stuck it stalls and u have to pull the crap out.
    The petrol mowers I've used have all had rev 'n' go clutches on them - like a moped or a chainsaw :unsure:

not saying a petrol will cut through anything but electrics stall all the time in long grass - just slows down (happens quickly - hard to avoid) and gets a load of uncut grass wrapped up with it's last couple of revs, then it won't start again till you clear it all out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

That looks like a dock off pulse jet shoved onto a really old tractor :eek:

ReputationRep:
    petrol are much easier to mow with, no wire to worry about, but it must be a pain in the ass having to buy petrol for it

personally, I'd go for a manual cylinder mower, something like this:

it'd be less convenient for larger lawns, but it's much more easy to use - just take it out of the shed and get going. It's also much more fun, as it's silent and you can hear the grass being cut as the thing spins, rather than an engine being blasted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    The petrol mowers I've used have all had rev 'n' go clutches on them - like a moped or a chainsaw :unsure:

not saying a petrol will cut through anything but electrics stall all the time in long grass - just slows down (happens quickly - hard to avoid) and gets a load of uncut grass wrapped up with it's last couple of revs, then it won't start again till you clear it all out.
    meh electric sucks prolly low on torque so cant cut thro the grass, only thing that stops the petrol ones is some big branches or rocks (dont tell my dad l0l) or last but not least when you run out of petrol... lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.