64-80, study arts
    4.34%
    64-80, study sciences
    5.58%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    63. Yeah, about right, I think

EDIT: Just realised, it ties in with the quote in my sig nicely :lol:
    Hey BWS, I got 19 - almost opposite your level of empathy.

ReputationRep:
    Your score: 31

Hehe but the questions weren't really specific enough to convey the way I actually am, so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    55...sounds pretty realistic

ReputationRep:
    75- doesnt surprise me in the slightest! I always am aware of how other people are feeling. it can be useful but exhausting and stressful sometimes too...

ReputationRep:
    72. Studying engineering.

Unsurprising though, as I could listed to people talk about their lives for hours and never get bored.

I took part in a test a few years ago where you'd be shown faces and have to work out what the person was feeling. I was quite chuffed to get 20 out of 20. A little less so when they told me that my brain was very womanly.

ReputationRep:
    7, study computer science

never really been empathetic or social but 7? i really hope this test is inaccurate

ReputationRep:
    Got 43.. not too bad :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    16. Maths.

See, it's true that I'm not that empathetic, however I dislike the way they correlate this with autism. While lack of empathy is part of Autism, obviously lack of empathy doesn't make you autistic. It's like it's scaring people into "oh ****, I scored lower than Asperger's sufferers do;" there is far more to the social behaviour of autism than empathy. I am well aware that my actions are "socially inappropriate" but it's my lack of empathy that makes me act like I do, not being unaware of how to behave in social situations.
    => holds
    <= does not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evanesyne)
    71. People tell me WAY too many things....too much information sometimes....
    Arts.
    Dammit clicked on the wrong bracket.

Also 71 and yes I know the feeling dude... At school I was referred to as 'resident moral compass'

It doesn't make me necessarily a 'nice person' in the common understanding. Not everyone's cup of tea... In daily life I'm very blunt. My friends know it's in their best interests, but there are plenty of people who find me self-righteous in my ethical codes. I can certainly see why, but I'm too old to change my entire outlook on life at this point.

Another thing I can't stand that is seeing selfish and ignorant acts performed deliberately and without penance against or at the cost of other people's interests and well-being. Yeah... those have provoked some fairly strong responses from me.. to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsLadette)
    16. Maths.

See, it's true that I'm not that empathetic, however I dislike the way they correlate this with autism. While lack of empathy is part of Autism, obviously lack of empathy doesn't make you autistic. It's like it's scaring people into "oh ****, I scored lower than Asperger's sufferers do;" there is far more to the social behaviour of autism than empathy. I am well aware that my actions are "socially inappropriate" but it's my lack of empathy that makes me act like I do, not being unaware of how to behave in social situations.
    => holds
    <= does not
    I think it's a conscious decision - I am inclined to believe that by including that information the creator of the test wanted to send out a certain message to healthy people scoring in that bracket. Whether that in itself is ethical is up for debate, but certainly seems effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis)
    Hey BWS, I got 19 - almost opposite your level of empathy.
    :lol: Arva - I guess we represent the arts/science split! We should get everyone in the thread to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Your score: 72
    0 - 32 = low (most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20)
    33 - 52 = average (most women score about 47 and most men score about 42)
    53 - 63 is above average
    64 - 80 is very high
    80 is maximum

That explains my constant overwhelming feeling of guilt.

ReputationRep:
    17 - History :P

ReputationRep:
    47 - I (think) I can always tell how someone else is feeling, their emotions, why they are feeling that way and I always tend to be the listener. However just because I can tell these things, it sounds harsh; it doesn't mean I care about them. I think this because the constant moaning and emotional issues some of my friends have despite having a roof over their head and food on their plate annoys me; but I'm always there to be the listener.

ReputationRep:
    boom
    I study Management Sciences (BSc) and am up late because I was helping a friend discuss a problem she wanted advise on. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    19 :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    67 and I study maths. Cool I guess.

ReputationRep:
    24. Guess law's the right path after all then.

ReputationRep:
    27. I always thought I was a bit socially awkward... If I see someone I know when I'm out and about, I'll try and cross the street so I don't have to talk to them. :ninja:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2012
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.