Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    which is more useful? i have to choose for my second year from what i know, extended project adds to an application whereas general studies is useless. im wanting to do politics at uni, so i think that something related for an extended project would be beneficial, but im not too sure :/

ReputationRep:
    Generally, General Studies would be better but in the case of a specific subject then an EPQ of that exact subject would be more valuable. I'm just echoing what you have already said since you seem to have made up your mind

ReputationRep:
    this really is quite a simple answer, extended project is by far the more useful.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do General Studies. It's not worth the paper it's written on. Unless you're applying to a university with lax enough entrance requirements to accept GS (pro tip: you probably don't want to go to one - correct me if I'm wrong but I'm yet to come across a university that takes GS seriously which I would also want to attend) there is no benefit whatsoever associated with taking it. An EPQ, on the other hand, is very useful; it allows you to demonstrate extra-curricular interest in a subject, which can help you get offers, is appreciated by the best universities (Cambridge and Oxford have both said that they support and encourage it), and is also sometimes accepted in lieu of a 4th AS.

ReputationRep:
    GS = COMPLETELY and UTTERLY useless.

EPQ is OK.

do the EPQ if you want, but the top unis don't care about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    Do the EPQ, I've just about completed mine . Hard work but worth it. Most unis no longer accept general studies and they generally look favourably on the EPQ. This is probably because it's more like the type/standard of work you will be doing at uni so stands you in good stead.
    I applied to study History which is v competetive so I did my EPQ on a historical topic. Whether it was cos of that or not, I actually got lower than the standard offer from one of my unis.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an AS student currently studying general studies. I have also just finished the EPQ which took ages. I would only advise doing the EPQ if you're motivated to read and write about your subject on a regular basis (That is if you are referring to the dissertation).

With regards to general studies, I don't actually study it so what I've already said in the first sentence isn't strictly true. I have studied it, however due to a tight schedule for Further Maths, time had to be allocated elsewhere in place of something useless - et voíla. Good riddance to general studies!

I should probably answer your question now. Personally, I'd just about advise the EPQ but only if you have good time management skills (seriously) and self-motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    I think that's slightly misleading. It's not that universities "don't care about it too much". Working independently in order to write a dissertation is at least a somewhat useful skill for University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamma)
    I think that's slightly misleading. It's not that universities "don't care about it too much". Working independently in order to write a dissertation is at least a somewhat useful skill for University.
    Not my words but the words of 3 top uni admissions tutors.

EDIT: Again, someone negged a fact. I was there when an Oxford admissions tutor said to me QUOTE! "What is the EPQ :/". I guess peope can't handle the facts.

ReputationRep:
    The EPQ at least gives you a head start at uni, because you'll know about long essay-writing and referencing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    (Original post by Dr Geoff Parks, Director of Undergraduate Admissions, University of Cambridge)
    Cambridge is one of many universities which support extended projects as good preparation for degree-level study, but any stronger endorsement is prevented because they are not made available to all students.
    (Original post by University of Oxford)
    Where applicants have undertaken the Extended Project (EP), this will not be a condition of any offer but the University recognises that the EP will provide an applicant with the opportunity to develop research and academic skills relevant for study at Oxford. Candidates are encouraged to draw upon relevant EP experience when writing their personal statement.
    And beyond this, anecdotally, I was asked about my EPQ at my Cambridge interview; I highly doubt that they would have brought it up if they weren't that bothered about it. They don't make offers conditional on it, but it will still help your chances of getting an offer, as it develops skills and shows an extra-curricular enthusiasm for your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    And beyond this, anecdotally, I was asked about my EPQ at my Cambridge interview; I highly doubt that they would have brought it up if they weren't that bothered about it. They don't make offers conditional on it, but it will still help your chances of getting an offer, as it develops skills and shows an extra-curricular enthusiasm for your subject.
    That is what I was getting at. One of the tutors (an oxford one) hadn't even heard of the EPQ. I'm not even joking! I was like WTFF?? But seriously, if they're not going to make or break your chances on an offer, it can't be worth that much time and effort. Sure like you said, it helps develop some study skills which is useful, but it's never going to be an integral part of an offer which is what OP was getting at.

ReputationRep:
    gereral studies is dissed so much, but it's actually a fair representation of your knowledge, as it's basically just a massive IQ test.
    i know people who've got into leeds and sheffield because of it . . .
    don't write it off
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    EPQs can make you look at little better, but I remember reading somewhere that they're not allowed to give it too much weight because not all centers offer the chance to do them so there would be a bias or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Extended Project.

General Studies is worthless generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louiseyoung)
    gereral studies is dissed so much, but it's actually a fair representation of your knowledge, as it's basically just a massive IQ test.
    i know people who've got into leeds and sheffield because of it . . .
    don't write it off
    General studies is not a massive IQ test. It doesnt focus greatly on your general knowledge at all, it's mostly a test of how you can interprette generic texts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.