Turn on thread page Beta

How do sperm banks work? watch

Announcements

I was just wondering if anyone knew how sperm banks work? I know this is probably not the best place to ask but...

Are they just for couples who can't conceive/gay and lesbian couples, and only upon referal by a doctor?

I'm at the stage in my life where I am in a position career wise, financially and emotionally to be a mother. However, I've been single for nearly three years and feel time is starting to run out - I'm 35.

Please don't suggest adoption. I want to experience pregnancy. I've been in love twice, once for seven years with the love of my life, but ultimately we were too young to settle down. And again for two years with someone, which didn't work out.
    I don't want to get pregnant by a one night stand. I never want to have one again, and it's irresponsible with regards to health and infection.

ReputationRep:
    Advertise on gumtree or something for a person with a recent std test to come round for an afternoon?

Check they havent got huge hereditory disorders first. Dont have to, but I would... Id rather have that than having sperm from a person id never met.

ReputationRep:
    I can only imagine talking to your GP would be a good first step...

ReputationRep:
    They take your sperm and 'keep it safe' for you by using it as part of their fund for making dodgy deals and buying bad bonds, then when they lose your sperm they will ask you for more so that they can give it to themselves as an undeserved sperm bonus and trade it for that yacht they had their eye on.

ReputationRep:
    How very selfish.

[Dear Fuehrer: Stop being a nazi mod]

ReputationRep:
    You pay to have someone shove a tube up your va-jay-jay, through which they squirt you with semen.

ReputationRep:
    To reply to the question as to how sperm banks work, I shall give my answer in the form of a short, juvenile poem.

To be frank.
    You ****,
    Like a tank,
    At a skank,
    Till a bank,
    Makes sure you get thank(ed).

Obviously this doesn't relate to you since you're not the guy... but I started thinking that up before I'd read anything but the thread title so had to get it out there.

If you want a child and don't feel you can get/handle a relationship right now... go ahead. Your doctor is a good person to start asking about it. Just make sure the guy the sperm comes from is a nice one with good genes! I wish you luck whatever happens though. Just don't leave it too late or you'll regret it!

On a side note - Here's a funny advert that is related to this if anyone is interested:

(Original post by Cicerao)
    How very selfish.

[Dear Fuehrer: Stop being a nazi mod]
    Why is it 'very selfish'? What about all these children who are born to trashy people who do it for the benefits, teenagers who sleep around using no contraception, people who can't afford it and people who bring children into a bad homelife with violence etc?

I'd be a fantastic mother. I have godchildren, nieces and nephews who I love being with. I've made my career in childcare, graduating from nurseries to teaching and then onto working with special needs children.

My whole life has been dedicated to children, is it so 'selfish' to want to have a child of my own to raise in a loving, stable environment?

ReputationRep:
    I can give you my dirty boxers. Will that help?

ReputationRep:
    Try visiting one of these:
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...SAyrXCM4n2mrzo

ReputationRep:
    speak to your GP, and they will refer you to a clinic and I assume to a councillor who will make sure that your emotionally ready and will be able to cope.

I don't actually know how it works in the UK, but I know that clinic in Switzerland (it was in an artical in the paper) they ask for what physical attributes you would like from a donor, ie hair colour, eye colour, hight ect. and then bobs your uncle ... as it were!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Use a doctor recommended clinic if you do. They actually have quite rigorous testing for those eligible to donate sperm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why is it 'very selfish'? What about all these children who are born to trashy people who do it for the benefits, teenagers who sleep around using no contraception, people who can't afford it and people who bring children into a bad homelife with violence etc?

I'd be a fantastic mother. I have godchildren, nieces and nephews who I love being with. I've made my career in childcare, graduating from nurseries to teaching and then onto working with special needs children.

My whole life has been dedicated to children, is it so 'selfish' to want to have a child of my own to raise in a loving, stable environment?
    Hey, I've got info that might help in some way if you pm me, not happy posting links and info people have passed onto me here for the whole world to see but might be able to help if you drop me a message

ReputationRep:
    You come along to a sperm bank and have a chat,interview etc....
    Then after payment is sorted they ask what you want of your donor such as physical attributes. You read through a flip book with info and pics regarding each individual donor. You choose it and they get the inseminator. Place if in your vagina. This squirts out semen a fine jet.

Then "who's your daddy" your baby is on it's way.

ReputationRep:
    And did I say those people aren't selfish? But hey, those abandoned kids? Apparently you don't want them because YOU WANT "your own" to fulfill your own selfish desires, and you really don't care about leaving that child without a father. YOU WANT to take the decision to bring a child into the world without having a father without considering what that child wants, and I consider doing what we ourselves want at all costs without any regard for anything/anyone else selfish.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how you donate to a sperm bank and would you get paid and lastly if you can't get it out that day would a nurse help you?

ReputationRep:
    Wait... you're 35 and have a decent career but you're using a student forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisDRFC)
    Wait... you're 35 and have a decent career but you're using a student forum?
    I was going to point this out too.

Even if you are a student OP, why would a bunch of students mainly aged 16-21 know anything about this?!

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone knew how sperm banks work? I know this is probably not the best place to ask but...

Are they just for couples who can't conceive/gay and lesbian couples, and only upon referal by a doctor?

I'm at the stage in my life where I am in a position career wise, financially and emotionally to be a mother. However, I've been single for nearly three years and feel time is starting to run out - I'm 35.

Please don't suggest adoption. I want to experience pregnancy. I've been in love twice, once for seven years with the love of my life, but ultimately we were too young to settle down. And again for two years with someone, which didn't work out.
    I don't want to get pregnant by a one night stand. I never want to have one again, and it's irresponsible with regards to health and infection.
    why is there a 35 year old on tsr? isnt this place for students? a bit pervy tbh

(Original post by M&Ms)
    why is there a 35 year old on tsr? isnt this place for students? a bit pervy tbh
    You do know students can be age, don't you? There's not a cut off point where you're not able to get further qualifications to better yourself!

I'm a mature student, studying at postgrad level to further my career, and if you read my post, I did say this is maybe not the best place for advice. I'm just getting advice from everywhere at the moment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.