Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does randomly using exercise machines actually help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I go to the gym once a day. I run on the treadmill, I pull on the rowing things, I bike around. After that tend to use all the weigh machines in the gym, generally doing about 3 sets of ten reps.

So, to anyone who has any expertise in going to the gym. Does that actually build muscle? I know I'm at least burning some calories, but are 3 sets of 10 enough to build muscle (if only a little), if done every day? Does anyone have any tips for better exercise if not?

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple of people that do this. Sure it'll give you some minute noob gains, but that'll be it.
    3 sets of 10 for random exercises every day will do nowt. Your body needs time to rebuild muscle tissue and you won't be giving it that ability. You need big compound movements like squats/deadlifts/presses weekly in sessions 3-4 times a week to gain muscle.
    Read stickies for more info on bulking/cutting/HIIT etc...

ReputationRep:
    I do similar to you actually. I just work my way around the Cardio Machines and shake up the order and length of time on each visit so my body doesn't just get used to the same thing. I've been told by my boss that's a good idea and I shouldn't do any form of weights until I've lost weight as I'll just "bulk up all the fat you're trying to get rid of."

So if any gym experts could tell me if that's sensible or stupid/what I should do for weight loss and toning, please let me know seeing as I seem to be being told 5 different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HilariousNinja)
    I know a couple of people that do this. Sure it'll give you some minute noob gains, but that'll be it.
    3 sets of 10 for random exercises every day will do nowt. Your body needs time to rebuild muscle tissue and you won't be giving it that ability. You need big compound movements like squats/deadlifts/presses weekly in sessions 3-4 times a week to gain muscle.
    Read stickies for more info on bulking/cutting/HIIT etc...
    Haha, I don't wanna bulk out. This is to make me look toned, not muscly.

But, rest around half the time helps, good to know.

(Original post by conniebee)
    I do similar to you actually. I just work my way around the Cardio Machines and shake up the order and length of time on each visit so my body doesn't just get used to the same thing. I've been told by my boss that's a good idea and I shouldn't do any form of weights until I've lost weight as I'll just "bulk up all the fat you're trying to get rid of."
    Honestly, you're better than me, I have no advice on this subject whatsoever. I just go there and do stuff.

ReputationRep:
    In B4:

"Haha my mother could lift more than you. Ha! Grunt. You pussy! Take some roids and beef up. Uh, I mean man up! Uh, grunt."

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nepene)
    Honestly, you're better than me, I have no advice on this subject whatsoever. I just go there and do stuff.
    That's pretty much all I do. I walk in, decide what to start on, and whilst I'm doing that pick out the next thing and the length of time I do that for until I've made up an hour at least on different things. I probably should actually talk to one of the Trainers around and see what's the best to do. I may sign myself up for a Spin Class, just don't know if they're any good or not?

ReputationRep:
    You can't bulk up fat :lolwut: I know hardly anything about exercise but I'm pretty sure that's rubbish, you can start weights whenever.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

P.S. Spin is hard work but worth it. It's like HIIT but on bikes, and you can't give up halfway through cos it'd be embarrassing infront of everyone else :P At least, it worked for me. Much more motivated than when I'm on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    You can't bulk up fat :lolwut: I know hardly anything about exercise but I'm pretty sure that's rubbish, you can start weights whenever.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
    Exactly what I thought!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I thought!
    Silly boss! You would lose fat because you're using energy on the machines. Also your muscles would bulk up (not so they're massive though) so your metabolism would be raised, in turn burning more energy... in short, weights are good :P

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=887324

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1445988 -- post here for advice

(I really need to join the gym :ninja:, not sure why I'm giving this advice when I don't even do it myself :p:)

ReputationRep:
    I go to the gym once a day. I run on the treadmill, I pull on the rowing things, I bike around. After that tend to use all the weigh machines in the gym, generally doing about 3 sets of ten reps.

So, to anyone who has any expertise in going to the gym. Does that actually build muscle? I know I'm at least burning some calories, but are 3 sets of 10 enough to build muscle (if only a little), if done every day? Does anyone have any tips for better exercise if not?
    Yes, it will help initially because you are pretty much detrained. However, you eventually need to get on to some kind of program which gives you structured progression in either resting less, doing more volume and/or lifting more weight.

I'd also advise lifting before cardio and free weights over machines but it's your call. That and nobody has ever got 'muscly' by accident. You still need progressive resistance to get whatever kind of look you're going for (unless it's Christian Bale in the Machinist or something.)
    (Original post by No Future)
    Give some kind of constructive advice if you think there's such a big problem with the standard 'lift weights.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)

Give some kind of constructive advice if you think there's such a big problem with the standard 'lift weights.'
    Who said I had a problem with people lifting weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    In B4:

"Haha my mother could lift more than you. Ha! Grunt. You pussy! Take some roids and beef up. Uh, I mean man up! Uh, grunt."

:rolleyes:
    I don't think anyone has ever said that. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Yes, it will help initially because you are pretty much detrained. However, you eventually need to get on to some kind of program which gives you structured progression in either resting less, doing more volume and/or lifting more weight.

I'd also advise lifting before cardio and free weights over machines but it's your call. That and nobody has ever got 'muscly' by accident. You still need progressive resistance to get whatever kind of look you're going for (unless it's Christian Bale in the Machinist or something.)
    Thanks for the help. I'm unfit, so my main goal is to gain more lactic acid resistance, be able to run at a face past for longer. I often have some need to run for ten to fifteen minutes at a high pace, and I want to be able to do that without getting tired.

The machines are just a secondary thing to gain some muscle. If I gain a little, that's fine.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    I do a similar thing just do whatever I never know what to go on. I usually just do treadmill , crosstrainer , bikes then mat excercises and I tried using a few over random machines not sure the name but I haven't been near any of the lift weights machines as I don't know what to do. Don't know if it actually works been there a year and look exactly the same .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    I do a similar thing just do whatever I never know what to go on. I usually just do treadmill , crosstrainer , bikes then mat excercises and I tried using a few over random machines not sure the name but I haven't been near any of the lift weights machines as I don't know what to do. Don't know if it actually works been there a year and look exactly the same .
    Yay, I like that I am not the only idea who has no idea what they are doing.

ReputationRep:
    Haha my mother could lift more than you. Ha! Grunt. You pussy! Take some roids and beef up. Uh, I mean man up! Uh, grunt.

EDIT: Oh shoot, someone came in before me

ReputationRep:
    When I go to the gym I have a plan. I know what I'm going to do, in what order, with what weight. If you look up starting strength it has a decent guide on getting started. However as long as that 10th rep is the most you can do (ie you can't do an 11th), doing 3 sets of that will give you strength improvements. 8 reps would be preferable tho, 5 reps for 5 sets would be ideal.

You could try supersetting, where you work alternate muscles like biceps then triceps, chest then shoulders so you cut down rest time between sets, better for the cardio and cuts your gym time and makes it look like you're on a mission!

ReputationRep:
    Yay, I like that I am not the only idea who has no idea what they are doing.
    I probably should have asked to be shown how to use them . I hate asking for things. I've tried creating plans I started off only doing cardio and then added in the mat excercises and swimming . I might try and get a programme but I never see the trainers they're not always around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    I probably should have asked to be shown how to use them . I hate asking for things. I've tried creating plans I started off only doing cardio and then added in the mat excercises and swimming . I might try and get a programme but I never see the trainers they're not always around.
    Yeah, I've often made plans to ask them... but it's so embarassing to do it in person. So I put it off, maybe next time. And it never gets done.

That happens for so many things in life.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I don't wanna bulk out. This is to make me look toned, not muscly.

But, rest around half the time helps, good to know.

Believe me you're not going to get look like Arnie by going to the gym regularly. To gain muscle you need to eat enough, hencing bulking.
    Looking more 'toned' is due to muscle mass and low body fat, you won't get there by using resistance machines.

in b4 matt and his hatred of the word 'toned'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.