Turn on thread page Beta

Does randomly using exercise machines actually help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nepene)
    Yeah, I've often made plans to ask them... but it's so embarassing to do it in person. So I put it off, maybe next time. And it never gets done.

That happens for so many things in life.
    I do that too and I feel like I'll sound like an idiot going up to them and not sure what to say or they look busy and don't want to disturb them sometimes they're giving tours. I've been trying about a week or two keep giving up but summers getting nearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysteriouschic)
    I do that too and I feel like I'll sound like an idiot going up to them and not sure what to say or they look busy and don't want to disturb them sometimes they're giving tours. I've been trying about a week or two keep giving up but summers getting nearer.
    The saddest thing is they'd probably be quite happy to help. They might well be rather bored and waiting for someone to ask for their easily given expertise.

Yet we still don't ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Who said I had a problem with people lifting weights?
    You post that I quoted. I don't think anybody actually gives advice to 'take steroids.' The advice to man up/lift weights makes sense for most guy but I might just be misunderstanding your tone.

ReputationRep:
    The saddest thing is they'd probably be quite happy to help. They might well be rather bored and waiting for someone to ask for their easily given expertise.

Yet we still don't ask.
    Yeah I keep thinking that except the ones in my gym walk in for like a minute then walk back out and I don't want to run after them. They don't always stay and walk around doing things or giving tours and I'm not sure if their busy. I've seen them by themselves then I tell myself I'll go tomorrow instead. I might try an make it my goal to get one by the end of this week. I've done that nearly every week.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I keep thinking that except the ones in my gym walk in for like a minute then walk back out and I don't want to run after them. They don't always stay and walk around doing things or giving tours and I'm not sure if their busy. I've seen them by themselves then I tell myself I'll go tomorrow instead. I might try an make it my goal to get one by the end of this week. I've done that nearly every week.
    Haha. Resolutions, they're as good as new years resolutions. They rarely work. I've made a ton of resolutions which I haven't kept.

Once it's the summer they'll be even more busy. Everyone will be there trying to lose weight. It'll be so much harder to ask them.

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Resolutions, they're as good as new years resolutions. They rarely work. I've made a ton of resolutions which I haven't kept.

Once it's the summer they'll be even more busy. Everyone will be there trying to lose weight. It'll be so much harder to ask them.
    I want to try this week or next week at the latest there only around really in the afternoon I've tried going earlier then their never there . I'm just not gonna over think it and walk up and say whatever comes out. I don't know if you say a program or a workout plan .

ReputationRep:
    I want to try this week or next week at the latest there only around really in the afternoon I've tried going earlier then their never there . I'm just not gonna over think it and walk up and say whatever comes out. I don't know if you say a program or a workout plan .
    Good luck. I wish you the best. I'll try to take inspiration from you and do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I very rarely see any of my gym's trainers. They're generally hiding in an office somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. I wish you the best. I'll try to take inspiration from you and do the same.
    Good luck too hope you get your plan soon .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conniebee)
    I very rarely see any of my gym's trainers. They're generally hiding in an office somewhere.
    Mine are the same or only come out late in the afternoon but don't stay for long an usually just walk around and back out somewhere then give tours , so hard to get them. I thought you'd get a program when you first joined off them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conniebee)
    I do similar to you actually. I just work my way around the Cardio Machines and shake up the order and length of time on each visit so my body doesn't just get used to the same thing. I've been told by my boss that's a good idea and I shouldn't do any form of weights until I've lost weight as I'll just "bulk up all the fat you're trying to get rid of."

So if any gym experts could tell me if that's sensible or stupid/what I should do for weight loss and toning, please let me know seeing as I seem to be being told 5 different things.
    Your boss is a ****ing moron and has in that statement demonstrated they should not even be entitled to an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck too hope you get your plan soon .
    One came up to me and talk to me randomly. He was kinda flirty which was creepy, but he gave me some tips.

1. Do interval training. Go fast then slow, fast then slow.

2. Do weights. Do twisting, stretching, and chest ones.

3. Do stretches.

I also have an appointment for wednesday when he'll talk more about it, it's awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    You can't bulk up fat :lolwut: I know hardly anything about exercise but I'm pretty sure that's rubbish, you can start weights whenever.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

P.S. Spin is hard work but worth it. It's like HIIT but on bikes, and you can't give up halfway through cos it'd be embarrassing infront of everyone else :P At least, it worked for me. Much more motivated than when I'm on my own.
    Spin class. :love:

Lool to the bold bit, totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    One came up to me and talk to me randomly. He was kinda flirty which was creepy, but he gave me some tips.

1. Do interval training. Go fast then slow, fast then slow.

2. Do weights. Do twisting, stretching, and chest ones.

3. Do stretches.

I also have an appointment for wednesday when he'll talk more about it, it's awesome.
    The guy was being flirty with you thats weird . Lucky one came up to you , I didn't go gym today didn't have the time I'll try and get one tomorrow hopefully they'll be around. I kinda already do interval training still need the proper program.

ReputationRep:
    By toned I would assume almost marathon runner type kind of toned?

Well if you want to looked toned, diet is probably the most key part, with lots of cardio (30-45 minutes every other day) and maybe a bit of weight training.

Honestly, it sounds like you're just getting started in training. If you're at the basic stages, then don't worry about shaking your schedule up. Be consistent, get into the habit of making it to the gym on time and doing the exercises right.

More info on the dieting can be found if you youtube a guy named 'scooby.' He's got great advice for anything exercise related. His website also gives out different diet plans for your desired result. I've been following his stuff for awhile and it's been great!

Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canadian Student)
    By toned I would assume almost marathon runner type kind of toned?

Well if you want to looked toned, diet is probably the most key part, with lots of cardio (30-45 minutes every other day) and maybe a bit of weight training.

Honestly, it sounds like you're just getting started in training. If you're at the basic stages, then don't worry about shaking your schedule up. Be consistent, get into the habit of making it to the gym on time and doing the exercises right.

More info on the dieting can be found if you youtube a guy named 'scooby.' He's got great advice for anything exercise related. His website also gives out different diet plans for your desired result. I've been following his stuff for awhile and it's been great!

Hope this helped!
    Who is more toned?

Yeah, basically your argument has fallen down rather rapidly.

Tone refers to a lower bodyfat and an increased muscle mass level - weight training is key to this or people end up skinny fat

ReputationRep:
    The guy was being flirty with you thats weird . Lucky one came up to you , I didn't go gym today didn't have the time I'll try and get one tomorrow hopefully they'll be around. I kinda already do interval training still need the proper program.
    I guess he was gay. We're about the same age.

At least I get free training.

Good luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    I guess he was gay. We're about the same age.

At least I get free training.

Good luck to you.
    Yeah thats good. Hope your training goes well for you.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.