The Student Room Group

What London Club should I start supporting?

hmmm?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
um, I don't think moving to London means you should stop supporting a team you've liked your whole life. don't pick a random new team just because you think it will make you 'fit in' better or some crap.
Crystal palace.
You were brought up in Biggin Hill, seems like you should follow one of the two local teams, Palace or Charlton.

Hopefully other Man U fans with no connection to Manchester will start to see the same way.
Reply 4
You pick a team and stick with them through thick and thin. You don't just change because you've moved to a different place, otherwise you can't class yourself as a proper "supporter"
Reply 5
You've a family connection to Crystal Palace but have discounted them because they're a Championship team?

If you're going to 'follow' a club then really shouldn't you try to pick one you have some connection with rather than "I'll pick them because they're a Premiership team"?

Its the way a 'proper football fans', something you desire to be, would usually choose a team to follow.

Without wishing to sound too harsh you sound like a bandwagoneer and as such Chelsea or Arsenal it is then. Flip a coin, doesn't really matter which.

You can't really choose Fulham or West Ham because hey, they might get demoted one day and then where will you be?
Reply 6
Football is just a game lads. It's actually not important to life, and changing which team you support is hardly like changing your religion or getting plastic surgery to change your boobs.

Arsenal.
Original post by racello
um, I don't think moving to London means you should stop supporting a team you've liked your whole life. don't pick a random new team just because you think it will make you 'fit in' better or some crap.

Yea...what she said
ARSENAL!
Reply 9
:laugh: Rags are funny. Anyway, I don't understand how a person can just change teams. No sense in forcing yourself to care about something. Go for West Ham or Fulham if you absolutely must support a PL club and want to avoid glory-hunter accusations, the former in particular have a great history and a fanbase I've found to be fairly wonderful in comparison to other London clubs.

Also, don't sneer at 'those people who support a div2 club'. Except Leeds. It may be terribly cliché to say this, but it takes a lot more to travel to a miserable, rainy, weekday away fixture at Rochdale in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy than it does to half-heartedly celebrate an nth league win from the comfort of your recliner.
Reply 10
Original post by texico11
Thing is I picked United cos they was popular when I was 4. It's not really just cos I'm moving, that's just a fitting time to switch I feel. I want to pick one that I can stick with and have a reason to go with and build real connections with, that I travel with mates to see away games and take my kids to see matches when I'm older, which is something I won't have with Man United. I'm supporting Man United and I've never been north of London, I live in East Sussex right on the Channel in Hastings. I didn't switch to support Portsmouth when I moved down here; I'm not looking to switch clubs every time I move to different cities.

Well I personally could never switch allegiances from my club no matter what, and I don't know any fans who would switch either. Many of my friends support different clubs, and we don't find it any harder to blend in with each other, if anything it helps the banter between us. But I suppose it depends on how much of a Man United fan you consider yourself to be. If you only followed them a bit because of the likes of Beckham/Scholes then maybe you only have loyalty to them players rather than the club itself? So if you're fans of them players and not the club then I'd say go on ahead and start supporting a team you have an interest in that are local and in your favourite city. ps. if you do switch pick Arsenal, they play the best football so if you go to games you'll get your moneys worth.
Reply 11
In my opinion theres nothing worse than a londoner supporting Man Utd. Out of all the london teams i would go for west ham; a real tradtional team, real supporters and very accessible from central london i.e. the district line
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
:tongue: yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. I do tease about with it with my mates who all support different clubs, but the truth is yeah, I only was really interesting in Beckham Scholes and only claimed to be a United fan this season because that's what my family know me (and tease me) as.

And yeah, Arsenal are a big thinking point for me. Always been a fan of dynamic football and I like Wenger. I'm basically trying to way up what I want from a club. I also have to consider that my dad supports Fulham as a kind of second club, so wondering if I should go with him, although I'm indifferent to Fulham's style, but things can change :tongue:

Yeah just choose the club that suits your interests/wants best. But if I was in your situation I'd probably go with Arsenal. Just to confirm that's not being biased as I'm not an Arsenal fan, I've just always admired the way they play football.
; I've been to some of their games with my dad and it wasn't really a spectacular environment, nothing like when I went to an England match at Wembley.

Hang on, you're trying to compare a small London team the experience you'll get watching the national side at Wembley?

For example If I was a Newcastle fan I'ed be happy to support them in the Champs or lower because they still have a huge fan base with lots who I can relate to. So yeah it's not really trophy's or competition (arsenal havn't won anything in 7 years -.-), it's more size and fanbase.

Newcastle is a city with a single professional football team. They are bound to have a large, 'die-hard' following as the city doens't have a split fanbase.

Also like I said, I'm really into Tactic philosophy, and that gets more intersting and complicated with bigger clubs. Crystal Palace are essentially kick and rush. Two big guys upfront, strong midfield, strong defence, physical game (or atleast they were before administration), nothing interesting really going on, not much to think about or analyse except results. Compare that with the incredible complex structures of premier league clubs in the modern game. Tactics are constantly evolving and they evolve around big clubs with lots of support (Leeds are an example of a lower league club that has a big fanbase and a more sophisticated playing style.)

Thats a very short-term view. Football success comes and goes for many teams. Norwich, Ipswich, Forest, Leicester and Derby were once powerhouse teams in the top flight, playing some excellent football and (in the case of Forest) beating the best in Europe to win the top prize in club football.

Palace have had a fair run in the past for what is a very small team surrounded by huge teams, the late 80s/90s were very good years for them. Took your soon to be dropped MUFC to a replay in the FA Cup final, much to everyone's surprise.

I don't know why I'm saying this stuff to you though. It seems you just want to jump on what is good now and as such talking about the long game is perhaps a little wasted.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by seans443

Arsenal - You'd fit in well with all the clueless home counties casual football fans they attract.
i still support my hometown club (fc klaipeda, of my homecountry lithuania),

when i first moved to england i did not support any british team (i was in birmingham uni for 3 years.....and like neither midlands team),
but since moving to london in last year i have started following fulham :'D

........every night i pray somebody will deface/destroy/remove that gawd-awful michael jackson statue at craven cottage. x
Reply 16
west ham are the only london club not supported by *****
Milllwall FC
Fulham :yep:

Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
i still support my hometown club (fc klaipeda, of my homecountry lithuania),

when i first moved to england i did not support any british team (i was in birmingham uni for 3 years.....and like neither midlands team),
but since moving to london in last year i have started following fulham :'D

........every night i pray somebody will deface/destroy/remove that gawd-awful michael jackson statue at craven cottage. x

Yeah the statue is dire, but for what Al Fayed has done for the club I'd let him stick a statue of Lampard in the ground!

Quick Reply

Latest