The Student Room Group

What London Club should I start supporting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Understand your situation.
But as A football supporter - Don't switch club because your moving.
As an North London resident and Arsenal supporter (since Birth) - Due to your minimal affiliation with Manchester United, don't even think about joining us.
Reply 61
Original post by Angel11
DONT BE A GLORY HUNTER,,,

Support Arsenal- the only London club :wink:

He can't be a glory hunter, if he wants to leave Man U, and definitely if he goes to Arsenal aha
Reply 62
Supporting Wolves is endless fun
Reply 63
Original post by thecookiemonster
You clearly don't understand football properly.

+rep.
Depends upon where you lived in Lambeth.

If you take King's College Hospital as your reference point your closest football team at birth would have been Millwall FC, by 2.1 miles, though if you were born when they were still playing at The Den they'd have been even closer than Stamford Bridge.

Of course Millwall FC aren't a fashionable team to support and are less sucesssful, though I'm sure this had no bearing at all.....
Reply 65
Original post by James1977
Depends upon where you lived in Lambeth.

If you take King's College Hospital as your reference point your closest football team at birth would have been Millwall FC, by 2.1 miles, though if you were born when they were still playing at The Den they'd have been even closer than Stamford Bridge.

Of course Millwall FC aren't a fashionable team to support and are less sucesssful, though I'm sure this had no bearing at all.....

This. Millwall are perfect for you (they're my local team too). They're small fish in a big pond wanting more for themselves (a bit like you with your football team aspirations). But everyone still knows who they are even though they're a small team.

Millwall! No-one likes you but you don't care!
Original post by texico11
Okay, here's my situation. I've been a Man United fan most of my life. I was born in London and lived in Biggin Hill when I was a kid, and have always loved central London, but most of my friends in BH supported Man United, and as they were the ones who originally got me into football when I was 4ish, I started supporting them. I was a big fan of Beckham and Giggs in particular, and I used to watch Man United mainly for this reason. Then Beckham was sold and I kind of lost interested, and between 2003 and 2009 I didn't really pay attention to it any more, particularly as Ronaldo really irritated me. However, I started getting back into it in the 09-10 season and I've really turned into a proper Football bloke now. I always played Football Manager though even though I never watched the real stuff, and since I came back I got interesting in tactic philosophy and learning how the game works these days. I've been watching Man United since I got back mainly because that's who I'm supported.

But the truth is, I'm a London person and that's where I'm probably gonna be going and living when I go to University next year (aiming for UCL, Imperial, Kings or Queen Mary and atm I'm living in East Sussex where I moved in 2001), and that's where I want to live and be involved in when I leave because I've always loved the city and that's where most of my family live. Thinking things through, it really makes no sense I'm a Man United fan. I only supported them because I liked Beckham and Giggs and Scholes in the beginning and kind of stuck with them for a few years as a kid and now these last two seasons. But I've never had anything to do with Manchester or Man United, I've never been to see them, I've never owned a kit or anything, although I do watch almost all their games to be fair, I've never been to that city either. So for all these reason I want to switch to a London Club who I can actually support, go see matches if I can, go to pubs with mates to see games when I'm in London, travel to away matches if I get the chance etc, and be a proper football fan now that I'm so into the game.

So yeah, I'm trying to decide what London club I'll switch to when I go to Uni, as Giggs and Scholes will probably retire by then and it seems most fitting. As a person I've always had to live in small towns and villages which I hated, and I've always been attracted to big and busy things; that's why I want to go to a city (if not London I'll go to Edinburgh, Manchester or Liverpool), that's why I want to go to big big uni, etc. So I want to support premier league club too, and not be one of these people who supports a div2 club or something like that (my dad and my brother support Crystal Palace, but like I said, I'm not attracted to that kind of thing, although I respect big time people who choose to do that.)

How do you think I should go about choosing? What did you look for when you decided to start supporting your club, or have you just always supported them as a kid via your parents?

TL;DR - Man United semi-supporter moving to London (which I've always loved) and has no real reason to support Man United any more so it going to switch to a London club when I move there and Scholes/Giggs have retired. Try to decide who to support in London, wondering how you started supporting your club.

It'd be between Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham and West Ham. Thoughts?

If you're willing to switch that quick then you're not a real fan, just like the "fans" that only supported us when we were in the premier league (Hull City fan btw). If you support Man UTD, you'll stick with 'em, if you're not a real supporter, there's no real point in you claiming to support anyone...
Original post by Sarky
This. Millwall are perfect for you (they're my local team too). They're small fish in a big pond wanting more for themselves (a bit like you with your football team aspirations). But everyone still knows who they are even though they're a small team.

Millwall! No-one likes you but you don't care!

every one knows who they are because they have a horrible tendency to wreck stadiums! Its not a good thing!
Arsenal :smile:
Reply 69
be aware that supporting Arsenal can be very stressful and frustrating (if you do it properly and actually keep up with what's going on, unlike a lot of 'supporters') but i'd say it's worth it.. but i'm kinda used to it haha :smile:
Reply 70
Why that obsession with locality?
I mean, as a Spaniard, I'm really shocked with this. I was born in Barcelona, been living in Barcelona all my life, yet since I was a baby I've been a Real Madrid supporter. Of course, there is a majority of Barça supporters, but also lots of Espanyol and Madrid supporters, in Barcelona (and Valencia, Mallorca, etc. supporters as well).
You can have someone in Les Corts (neighbourhood near to Camp Nou) being an Espanyol supporter and someone in Cornellà (where Espanyol stadium is) supporting Barça. What's that crap of locality?
I just can't get it. Football is football, you support the team you feel or like, even if it means supporting a rival team to your local one.
Reply 71
QPR.
On behalf of all Manchester United fans from Manchester I would just like to say good riddance.
Reply 73
Barnet:smug:
Reply 74
West Ham! Its easy to get home and away tickets for mosst games but the Boleyn is still always rocking on matchday. Ive got a season ticket and havent sat down once this season and walk away from every game without my voice
Only downside is that Home and Away teams think they can take the piss with West Ham so they can run home and tell their mates that they "did West Ham" so you always have to have your wits about you even if you dont want trouble

COYI
Reply 75
Original post by SergioMZ
Why that obsession with locality?
I mean, as a Spaniard, I'm really shocked with this. I was born in Barcelona, been living in Barcelona all my life, yet since I was a baby I've been a Real Madrid supporter. Of course, there is a majority of Barça supporters, but also lots of Espanyol and Madrid supporters, in Barcelona (and Valencia, Mallorca, etc. supporters as well).
You can have someone in Les Corts (neighbourhood near to Camp Nou) being an Espanyol supporter and someone in Cornellà (where Espanyol stadium is) supporting Barça. What's that crap of locality?
I just can't get it. Football is football, you support the team you feel or like, even if it means supporting a rival team to your local one.

Because football clubs represent the community they serve. They used to be a source of pride to the local community.

Lets be honest, now unless you have family ties or moved from the area most people in the UK who support clubs from a big distance (mainly Liverpool, United and Arsenal) are glory hunters/fair weather fans
Original post by texico11
^^ There aren't any Man United fans from Manchester :ciao:

My cousin's husband was born in Manchester, they live in Manchester and he is a Man Utd fan.

Funnily enough they were the closest football league team to the hospital he was born in, like Millwall was to you.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest