Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,

Got the A level AQA chem 5 exam coming up soon, i really need to do good in this so i can get a B, just wondering if anyone has any good ways of remembering the transition metal colours, i can just about remember the colours of the aqueous ions but i get stuck when it comes to complexes.

Any help would be muchly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Technique to be used at vital situations with only hours remaining for exam and nothing of syllabus covered. SHORT TERM MEMORY!!!
    vi(BGYO)r, the color change occuring in Cr (or is it Vanadium?) Note that an intermediate yellow is formed between blue and green due to mixing of colours (blue + green to form yellow).
    Learn only the colors in the order of increasing groups as a list of colors only, then you can use the periodic table to determine ion present. (but learn Va and Cr separately)

Worked for me in covering syllabus within a couple of hours.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i remember vanadium as VGBY, +2 is violet, +3 is green, +4 is blue and +5 is yellow.
    vanadium is the only one that doesnt really follow much of a pattern, Fe is much easier to remember because its only usually green or orangey/brown. but its when it comes to adding all the ligands in, confusion sets in :L

Fe2+ is always green or a green precipitate. Fe3+ is always yellow or brown. Cu is usually blue/deep blue or blue-green. If you look at one of the tables that you will easily find then the colour changes with the complexes are really not that many.

ReputationRep:
    the only major problem is vanadium, the rest sort of follow a pattern, although there is that Chromium one i i think that is green or violet, depending on whether its surrounded by water ligands.
    its just there is a lot to learn but there isnt really much pattern to it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.