Turn on thread page Beta

Finding other classical music fans watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you often feel as a classical music fan a bit of an outsider? I tend to find a lot of people are totally disinterested or bewildered by it. If you go to concerts you'll see that most of the audience is 50+. Are all young classical fans hiding away like myself?

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy it from time to time (listening to Night on a bald mountain atm, hence while in this subforum) but I am not interested enough to go to concerts. I am always on the lookout for new stuff if I hear anything I like, I only ever really knew Beethoven and Vivaldi, but I found Mussorgsky and I am quite a fan, it is just magical. I prefer stuff without operatic vocals though, which rules out a fair amount of the most famous artists, like Mozart and Wagner.

But yes, although I have an interest, I am massively bewildered as I know nothing about it so I have no idea where to look for stuff that has a similar sound to what I want. Whereas with rock or metal I know subgenres, if I want some new black metal it is easy to find.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16, it's the only genre (it's really too broad to be a genre itself, but whatever) I listen to from choice. I find it so much more intellectually appealing than other forms of music, possibly excepting jazz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Do you often feel as a classical music fan a bit of an outsider? I tend to find a lot of people are totally disinterested or bewildered by it. If you go to concerts you'll see that most of the audience is 50+. Are all young classical fans hiding away like myself?
    Yeah I think so too, there are only a select few that I know that are interested in classical music. Most of them are only interested in mainstream music

ReputationRep:
    Classical music was the first kind of music I listened to, and I've enjoyed it ever since, though I also like other genres. I probably like it even more because I play the piano and the organ.

Oh, and I'm yet to find someone who appreciates Baroque music.

ReputationRep:
    I used to enjoy classical music, until they start playing it at the dentist and in-school suspensions / detention rooms.

ReputationRep:
    I adore classical music. I know absolutely nothing about it, but the few times I've seen a performance I am absolutely captivated by the fact that there is just so much going on. Those composers seriously were geniuses. I'll often have some sort of Classic FM compilation CD on in my car whilst I'm driving and my friends don't understand this at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempiternitas)
    Really? Who doesn't like a bit of Bach or Vivaldi now and then?

ReputationRep:
    classical music was my first type of music.....and its still one of my favourite.....

*I'm a glutton for strings/piano/woodwind music*

ReputationRep:
    I like it, but my appreciation is limited to my love of the cello.

The problem I find with classical music is that it always seems elitist to me. It never strikes me as a genre open to people who just like music, though perhaps don't have the techincal knowledge. And of course this isn't necessary

BTW, if anyone goes on imdb, there is a classic music section that has a lot of regular people with a lot of knowledge. They're mostly snobs, however you will probably find a lot of music on there that you would otherwise not know about.

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000143/threads/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    I'm 16, it's the only genre (it's really too broad to be a genre itself, but whatever) I listen to from choice. I find it so much more intellectually appealing than other forms of music, possibly excepting jazz.
    Must music always be 'intellectually appealing'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    Must music always be 'intellectually appealing'?
    Not at all. I just prefer it.

ReputationRep:
    I love it! my dad loves it and that's what I listened to when I was small. Nowadays, even though i prefer blues and jazz more, some of those classical tunes can still make me cry :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    The problem with classical music is it's not 'cool'. It doesn't speak to young people, there are no young band members with interesting personalities, no lyrics about being angry, or being in love, or anything relevant to young people, you can't dance to it, you can't sing along to it with your friends, or attend concerts and go wild and have fun. To me, it seems like a very elitist genre, classical music fans tend to seem very stuck up, as if the fact they have an aprecciation for more technical, traditional music, inspired by 18th century musicians, it somehow makes them more intelligent and cultured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempiternitas)
    Classical music was the first kind of music I listened to, and I've enjoyed it ever since, though I also like other genres. I probably like it even more because I play the piano and the organ.

<3 Baroque! But I think it's mostly because I love playing it!! But I still enjoy listening to it...and thinking.. hmmm maybe I could give that a go... haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    The problem with classical music is it's not 'cool'. It doesn't speak to young people, there are no young band members with interesting personalities, no lyrics about being angry, or being in love, or anything relevant to young people, you can't dance to it, you can't sing along to it with your friends, or attend concerts and go wild and have fun. To me, it seems like a very elitist genre, classical music fans tend to seem very stuck up, as if the fact they have an aprecciation for more technical, traditional music, inspired by 18th century musicians, it somehow makes them more intelligent and cultured.
    Don't you think a lot of classical music fans are annoyed by the general populace's (usually ignorant) dismissal of classical music as boring and elitist? It works both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    Not at all. I just prefer it.
    Maybe a more pertinent question would be- what would you classify as being 'more intellectual'?

I agree with your further point in another point that sometimes the view of classical music as boring, and its fans as elitist is not true; but a lot of fans are, quite.

Whatever it means to be 'intellectually appealing' is surely not found only in the realms of classical music (or indeed jazz, as you say), and music by its very nature should be about how you feel, not just how you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    I'm 14 and I love classical music. I also love some rock. And I also love opera. And I also love jazz. I also love pop. In fact, I love all types of music, most songs are crap, but many are not.

ReputationRep:
    I really like some classical music, particularly stuff by Bach. That said sometimes when I'm at a particular train station's waiting room they play the most amazing sounding classical/orchestral music and I have absolutely no idea what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    Maybe a more pertinent question would be- what would you classify as being 'more intellectual'?
    I meant that classical music appeals to my intellect more. I'm not going to slur popular music for its lack of complexity or whatever; that would be unfair since popular music doesn't aim to do that. It just aims for instant appeal to a general audience, which is fine.

I agree with your further point in another point that sometimes the view of classical music as boring, and its fans as elitist is not true; but a lot of fans are, quite.
    Entirely true. My point was actually that the elitism of many classical music fans is often offset by the ignorance of people who say that they don't like it or that it is boring without really listening to it. This doesn't make it OK, but it's not a one way problem.

Whatever it means to be 'intellectually appealing' is surely not found only in the realms of classical music (or indeed jazz, as you say), and music by its very nature should be about how you feel, not just how you think.
    See top. Also, I believe that classical music is capable of producing a much greater strength and depth of feelings than any other music by its very nature: writers of classical music have so many instruments, styles, textures etc to work with, and usually a more informed musical background, in comparison to writers of popular music. Again, I am aware that popular music and other genres are capable of elucidating emotion in other people, and appeal to a wider range of people than classical music, and this is also perfectly fine. I am only irritated when people dismiss classical music out of ignorance.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.