Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just doing some complex number work and I was thinking if you could get complex areas.

For example, y = \sqrt{x}. If you integrated "y" between -10 and 0 you could get a numerical answer in terms of "i". And then this value changes, if you change the function so if you had 3\sqrt{x} or \sqrt{10x}.

Do these imaginary values for the area have any meaning? Or is it just a mistake from not defining the function properly or something? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested to know the answer to this too :holmes: I can't think of any obvious reason why you shouldn't be able to do calculus with imaginary numbers. But I know absolutely nothing about this so I'm looking forwards to the good people of TSR enlightening me :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    This area of maths is to do with complex analysis. I haven't done any really so I don't want to answer your specific question, but yeah you can integrate imaginary numbers and stuff. Here's a good intro:

http://people.math.gatech.edu/~cain/winter99/ch4.pdf

The Riemann integral stuff they're going on about is just the normal integral you're used to - the idea behind that integral is you can say that value of the integral can be overestimated using rectangles and it can also be underestimated using rectangles too. So that L <= I <= U where L is the lower estimate, I is the integral and U is the upper estimate. If you use more and more rectangles to approximate the integral, then you should usually find that L and U become closer and closer. In the limit as you get an infinite number of rectangles, you should have L = U, so that L <= I <= U becomes L = I = U. That's the idea behind an integral and the article appears to be talking about extending it with complex numbers.

You need to take care about what y = \sqrt{x} actually means for x between -10 and 0. Does (-1)^(1/2) = i or i? Of course this issue arises when we look at the square root of positive values, i.e. 3 and -3 are both viable candidates for the square root of 9. But by convention, to ensure that f(x) = x^(1/2) defines a function on 0 <= x < infinity, we choose the positive value - the value > 0. But there is no such useful* ordering system for complex numbers. So we say x^(1/2) = exp(log(x^(1/2)) = exp(1/2*log(x)), and then do what is choosing a branch¬ of the complex logarithm.^ Now x^(1/2) (which cosmetically should be z^(1/2) since we're venturing in the realm of complex values) makes sense, and we may proceed. As z^(1/2) has an anti-derivative, explicitly 2/3*z^(3/2) where z^(3/2) is similarly defined as exp(3/2*log(z)) with a branch of the logarithm chosen, finding the value of the integral is quite simple and no more difficult than a real value case.

*there is lexicographic order, but it's not useful in complex analysis.

^ this problem arises since the function exp(z) is infinitely-many-to-one. Take 1 for example, exp(0) = 1, but exp(2pi*i) = exp(4pi*i) = exp(2k*pi*i) = 1 for any integer k. So we need to 'cut' our preimage to define an inverse function.

¬ the commonest choice of branch is the principal branch, given by log(z) = log(|z|) + i*arg z where arg z lives in (-pi, pi]. It's chosen because it agrees with the standard real value of log for the positive numbers.

This is a lot of rambling about being careful with complex values and logarithms and suchlike, and I've not really answered your question. But I hope it's useful nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to recall something to do with phasors (something to do with expressing sine waves in terms of complex numbers by considering oscillations, IIRC) where integrating a phasor (which is a complex number) gives another phasor. Haven't really studied phasors at all so I'll go no further but I suppose that sounds like an application.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, very interesting

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you can - not on a normal graph though, because if you think about it, the normal 2-d x,y graphs are where x and y are both real, so the imaginary space is somewhere else not on the graph, which I think means its more complicated than just integrating.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.