The Student Room Group

The importance of Russell Group Univeristies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by River85
What does she think of the "top ten" 1994 Group universities, Durham or St Andrews for example? Does she know what the RG is (and that SOAS is in the 1994 Group)? I'll give her a lecture if you want? :p:

Thankfully I already lectured couple months ago :P I told her about the top '94 group unis, but she still seems to prefer me to go to a redbrick, to look 'classy' :rolleyes:
Original post by ussumane
Thankfully I already lectured couple months ago :P I told her about the top '94 group unis, but she still seems to prefer me to go to a redbrick, to look 'classy' :rolleyes:

Mums these days eh? :P
I don't give two hoots about Russell Group Universities to be honest!

Aberystwyth's computing department is voted 1st in Wales, whereas Cardiffs computing department is voted 2nd, even though Cardiff is in the Russell Group and Aberystwyth isn't.

I was clever enough to get in to Cardiff but I'm going to Aberystwyth simply because a university being tagged with 'Russell Group - LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME' doesn't matter to me!

I'd rather go to the university with a better ranked department, a better research department in that area and the department that has the best links to companies in that sector as well as a higher rate of employability upon graduation.
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
I don't give two hoots about Russell Group Universities to be honest!

Aberystwyth's computing department is voted 1st in Wales, whereas Cardiffs computing department is voted 2nd, even though Cardiff is in the Russell Group and Aberystwyth isn't.

I was clever enough to get in to Cardiff but I'm going to Aberystwyth simply because a university being tagged with 'Russell Group - LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME' doesn't matter to me!

I'd rather go to the university with a better ranked department, a better research department in that area and the department that has the best links to companies in that sector as well as a higher rate of employability upon graduation.

Agree. :smile:
Original post by street.lovin'
Yeah. That's a good idea. It is quite annoying when people keep asking the same question everyday. Recently there are so many thread about Russell Group. It will also save your time because you type a lot. You might as well spend your time helping someone else instead of typing the same thing again and again because people don't knwo how to use Search. =.=

do you love the streets?
Original post by bestofyou
do you love the streets?

No, I don't. :smile:
Reply 26
Mums these days eh? :P

:sadnod:

Did something similar happened to you?
Reply 27
Original post by CameraGirl
They also used to be a russell group university. not sure why they're not any more

I don't think they were. They are in the 1994 Group though.
Reply 28
First of all, I insured Reading and Essex is my firm. If I didnt get into Essex, I will probably be at the same uni with you. :smile:

Secondly, I am no expert in Medicine but seeing as you have no response yet, i am going to just give you general advice. :smile:

1) Apparently, for Medicine you have to complete your A-levels in two years, only. So taking a year out to retake your AS exams to boost your grades up might not even help you. Some places are allowed you to do it 3 years but you have to have at least ABB after two year/before retaking anything already. Medicine is so competitive. You can find more information about entry requirement for Medicine here > http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine

Also, I do not think it matters where you go to do Medicine. All medical schools are qualified and up to standard for the course. So whether it's Russell Group or not, it doesn't really matter really. As long as it's a medical school and it's where you want to go.

2) Russell Group is just a name. They recieve higher research funding that's all. Many RG unis are great but some are just as good as 1994 unis such as Reading, if not worst. I have always thought Reading is a good uni, it's top 30 out of 113. So it should be quite reputable. :smile: (I personally dont really like using evidence such as league tables or uni groups but they seem to support what I am saying)

I have not visitted Reading, was it goood? The town is nice? I just want to make sure I won't hate it if I dont get into my firm. lol For student opinion of Reading I think you will find that people who are qualified to answer this question will be in Reading uni sub forum. :smile:

Yh great campus, lots of facilities. Its near loads of cities and a big train station to get in or our of Reading to anywhere :smile: i would recommend going to see it your self to get a feel for it. What course have you applied to do? And any particular reason Essex over Reading?
Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Petronella
All opinions welcome!

Bad move. I can hear imsoacademic typing frantically as we speak.
Reply 30
Original post by River85
Before I continue, I'll start with this, don't mean for it to come off as a lecture.

The Russell Group, despite what the media claim, is not a collection of the "best" universities. It is group of large, research intensive universities (with largely a lobbying purposes).

There is also the 1994 Group. A similar group, but of smaller research intensive universities. Reading is in this group. The 1994 Group is not strictly inferior to the Russell Group. Many on here will perceive a number of 1994 Group universities (Durham, York, Exeter, St Andrews, Lancaster, Loughborough, Queen Mary) as being better than most RG universities (although, despite their often supeior league table positions and popularity with applicants, they aren't, but that doesn't mean they're worse either).

If you start university in 2012 you will need to pay the new tuition fees of up to 9k a year. This is unless you attend a Scottish university (Edinburgh and Glasgow being the only two Scottish RG universities) where fees will possibly be lower.

If you start university in 2011 you won't pay these higher fees.

Depends on whay you class as "good enough" but it is a thoroughly decent university (I have particular respect for its philosophy, Real Estate and business programmes in particular - though this isn't to say these are Reading's only strengths).

As mentioned, it is a member of the 1994 Group, and there's no reason why it cannot deliver a comparable standard of education as a Russell Group university. There is certainly no reason why attending Reading should disadvantage you in future plans.

If you want opinions from Reading students then feel free to create a thread in the Reading subforum.

The university you achieve your undergrad degree from will have little to no relevance. What's more, look at the universities with medical schools (or shared medical schools). Off the top of my head I can think of a few medical schools not in a Russell Group university. These are Durham, York, Hull, Exeter, East Anglia, Sussex, St Andrews and Aberdeen. All of those, with the exception of Aberdeen and Hull are in the 1994 Group. Aberdeen is a Scottish Ancient and has been teaching medicine for a number of centuries.

Durham's medical education is in partnership with a RG university (Newcastle). Exeter's with a former polytechnic (Plymouth) and Hull and York share theirs.

These are unlikely to be bothered whether your degree is from a RG university or not, are they? :p:

Don't get so obsessed with the Russell Group. Yes, they are all universities of international standing and amongst our leading universities. But the key word there is amongst. It is not a complete collection of our leading universities.

I guess I just concerned about achieving a good degree from internationally recognised university to maximise my future prospects. Thank you so much for the advice and info! Going to university is such a huge step i want to make sure i know all i can before i go.
I don't know why undergrads give so much weight to universities in the Russell Group given that its purpose is to lobby for research funding. It has nothing to do with undergrad funding, teaching quality or available undergrad resources.
Reply 32
Original post by angelmxxx
So you wouldn't want to meet Prince William then? :P

OP: there are 2 top 10 (Times guide) unis who aren't in the RG, and many more mixed in the rankings with RG unis. The RG is just a group of unis who lobby for more research funding. LSE only joined a few years ago, the original criteria was that each uni had to have a medical school (hence no St Andrew's, Durham, Bath, Exeter, etc.) Although St Andrew's and Durham do half medicine courses now (2 or 3 years at that uni then you go to another one for your clinical years but it's all one course technically. Exeter has a medical school with Plymouth.)

The RG is far, far from being the be all and end all! Although I do understand where you're coming from in that all your choices are ranked below most RG unis.

I guess I meant ones that weren't so recognised in the UK and internationally.
Reply 33
I guess I just concerned about achieving a good degree from internationally recognised university to maximise my future prospects. Thank you so much for the advice and info! Going to university is such a huge step i want to make sure i know all i can before i go.

Understandable but don't worry about it. Yes, the universities in the Russell Group do have an international standing (many considerable) unsurpising as they are large and also in large cities.

But there are universities outside the Russell Group who are recognised internationall and highly targeted by employers. These include the 1994 Group and a number outside both groups.

Reading has an excellent Land Management programme with its graduates very highly targeted by national and international surveying and real estate firms. Many consider its programmes superior to Cambridge's Land Economy programme.

It has a very reasonable philosophy department with considerable strength in moral philosophy and early modern philosophy (it has international recognised academics such as John Cottingham and Brad Hooker)

It does have other strengths. Henley business school is internationaly known, research strengths in the environment and sciences.

I can't speak for the department you have applied for, as mentioned you can get feedback in the Reading forum, but I wouldn't worry about being disadvantaged compared to RG graduates in terms of teaching quality or employment prospects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by River85
I don't think they were. They are in the 1994 Group though.

that's what i meant :P
Original post by River85

It does have other strengths.

best meteorology course in the world :wink:

yeah i'm slightly biased, but if you go to Reading, you genuinely will not be disappointed, they've had loads of new buildings and facilities the last couple of years and the campus is absolutely amazing. i've not met one person who doesn't love it, and the course they're on :smile:
Original post by ussumane
:sadnod:

Did something similar happened to you?

No. But it happens to a lot of my Asian friends. :P
Yh great campus, lots of facilities. Its near loads of cities and a big train station to get in or our of Reading to anywhere :smile: i would recommend going to see it your self to get a feel for it. What course have you applied to do? And any particular reason Essex over Reading?
Thanks for the advice!

That souds good.. One thing that Reading let me down is that the accommodation is so expensive. I can get a nicest ensuit room in Essex but could only get a standard room in Reading with the same amount of money. :P

I will visit it, thanks. :smile:

I ahve applied for Politics at Essex and Politics and IR at Reading. The reason why I chose Essex over Reading is because Essex is regarded as very very reputable for my course. The course at Essex is also more flexible and the modules offerred are more attractive, IMO. Many peopel ask me this question as All my other choices have better general reputation than Essex, to me subject reptuation is more important. :smile:

Also, Essex's offer is ABB and Reading is BBB. Reading is the lowest offer I got so makes it reasonable to be my insurance plus it is a decent uni which I wouldn't mind going at all. (Otherwise I wouldn't have applied!)

:smile:
Reply 38
That souds good.. One thing that Reading let me down is that the accommodation is so expensive. I can get a nicest ensuit room in Essex but could only get a standard room in Reading with the same amount of money. :P

I will visit it, thanks. :smile:

I ahve applied for Politics at Essex and Politics and IR at Reading. The reason why I chose Essex over Reading is because Essex is regarded as very very reputable for my course. The course at Essex is also more flexible and the modules offerred are more attractive, IMO. Many peopel ask me this question as All my other choices have better general reputation than Essex, to me subject reptuation is more important. :smile:

Also, Essex's offer is ABB and Reading is BBB. Reading is the lowest offer I got so makes it reasonable to be my insurance plus it is a decent uni which I wouldn't mind going at all. (Otherwise I wouldn't have applied!)

:smile:

Yh the accommodation is much more expensive. With Essex there is an option for a year in Industry with pay which Reading doesn't offer. However they do say there is placement available during holidays or sometime. Essex want BBC and both B's from Biology and Chemistry. Reading want the same but one B from Biology and doesn't matter where the rest comes from. Readings location and campus is very attractive to me. Not really sure which one to put as firm and for what reasons. :/
Reply 39
No. But it happens to a lot of my Asian friends. :P

Peak times :nopity:

Quick Reply

Latest