Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You should be glad to do medicine anywhere; even if it's not at a Russel Group uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    You should be glad to do medicine anywhere; even if it's not at a Russel Group uni.
    The OP hasn't applied for medicine at Reading (it doesn't have a medical school). The OP hopes to do grad entry medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    I know. If I got to do grad medicine I would he happy anywhere but obviously the extensive research by RG universities and their reputation it would be great to do go to one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petronella)
    I know. If I got to do grad medicine I would he happy anywhere but obviously the extensive research by RG universities and their reputation it would be great to do go to one
    But the point is it is not only Russell Groups who do produce extensive research and other universities, particularly 1994 Group universities (who also have research strength across the field) have departments to rival or better departments at many RG universities. Research won't necessarily have a great influence on your undergraduate education anyway. You say grad medicine. But it's still an undergraduate degree only shortened. It's only graduate entry.

Also, the education provided at medical schools (all but a handful being Russell or 1994 Group unviersities anyway) is comparable. They are all externally monitored.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bloody sick and tired of people on TSR who are so obsessive and thinks that going to a 'russell group' university is the be all and end all.

To be honest, If I had the choice to go to Oxbridge, I would not take that chance. Now lets see why?

1) I don't think the environment is for me
    2) I think I will be slightly discriminated seeing as mostly grammar and private school students gain admission. I'm from a working class family.
    3) I don't think the social life will be up to standard (pretty subjective though)
    4) I personally don't think I will be able to keep up with the work expected to complete.
    5) The location is one of the most important reason.
    Pretty much expecting negs from Oxbridge prospective students.

I honestly don't believe that those attending russell group universities are smarter or better in any way than those attending other unis. By attending a Russell group university does not necessarily mean you will be well off compared to those who didn't.

Like River85 has been trying to imply, the russell group simply refers to universities producing broad research assessments. They can be easily compared to the 1994 group which also contains some excellent universities also. If the russell group universities are supposedly the best and most reputable universities delivering excellent teaching quality and future prospects, then its debateable that some universities in that group do not deserve to even be there.

So OP, I'll advice you to go to either Reading or Essex If you have visited both. You could take into consideration some factors such as location, entry requirement, course content/modules, social life e.t.c. But if you are willing to spend £9000/year for 3 or more years then it is completely up to you. At the end of the day, you don't want to end up somewhere that the environment do not suit you. That could demotivate you and could have a negative impact on your studies.

Just don't let some so called 'academics' convince or manipulate or even brainwash you into going to a russell group uni. Listen to River85, he seems intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I'm bloody sick and tired of people on TSR who are so obsessive and thinks that going to a 'russell group' university is the be all and end all.

To be honest, If I had the choice to go to Oxbridge, I would not take that chance. Now lets see why?

1) I don't think the environment is for me
    2) I think I will be slightly discriminated seeing as mostly grammar and private school students gain admission. I'm from a working class family.
    3) I don't think the social life will be up to standard (pretty subjective though)
    4) I personally don't think I will be able to keep up with the work expected to complete.
    5) The location is one of the most important reason.
    Pretty much expecting negs from Oxbridge prospective students.

I honestly don't believe that those attending russell group universities are smarter or better in any way than those attending other unis. By attending a Russell group university does not necessarily mean you will be well off compared to those who didn't.

Like River85 has been trying to imply, the russell group simply refers to universities producing broad research assessments. They can be easily compared to the 1994 group which also contains some excellent universities also. If the russell group universities are supposedly the best and most reputable universities delivering excellent teaching quality and future prospects, then its debateable that some universities in that group do not deserve to even be there.

So OP, I'll advice you to go to either Reading or Essex If you have visited both. You could take into consideration some factors such as location, entry requirement, course content/modules, social life e.t.c. But if you are willing to spend £9000/year for 3 or more years then it is completely up to you. At the end of the day, you don't want to end up somewhere that the environment do not suit you. That could demotivate you and could have a negative impact on your studies.

Just don't let some so called 'academics' convince or manipulate or even brainwash you into going to a russell group uni. Listen to River85, he seems intelligent.
    Thanks for the advice and info. With university choices its only natural to want to go to.one that is hrs for you, your course and great for careers after degree. Thank you for putting my mind at ease about the whole R G thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petronella)
    Thanks for the advice and info. With university choices its only natural to want to go to.one that is hrs for you, your course and great for careers after degree. Thank you for putting my mind at ease about the whole R G thing.
    My pleasure, Anytime my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neiljeff123)
    I wouldnt be seen dead with anyone who hasn't been or isn't studying at a Russell Group university...
    Yes those non-russell group uni's.... what ghastly creature would go to one and what even more ghastly creature would put one as their firm and a russell group uni as their insurance....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Yes those non-russell group uni's.... what ghastly creature would go to one and what even more ghastly creature would put one as their firm and a russell group uni as their insurance....
    Someone who got rejected from Durham? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neiljeff123)
    Someone who got rejected from Durham? Lol
    Quite possibly. I do hope I never have the misfortune of coming across a person like that.

ReputationRep:
    To try and help answer your questions..

1- I dont think that re-sitting a year will help you atall in applying for medicine or russle group universities. For biomedical science this year the likes of Newcastle don't accept students who've been doing A-Levels for three years and as I understand this is only gonig to get stricter next year.

2-Im not sure as reading university but, the main thing you need to look at is graduate employment (it's the reason you're there at the end of the day) you need to make sure it's the right uni for you, everyone's different

3-From what I gather form biomedical open days you only really have the oppertunity to apply for graduate medicine at the same university you are already studying at (..well it's the only way people realyl have a chance of getting in) at Newcastle around 4 of 300 students have the chance of graduate medicine, after achieving 90% on every module.. it's seriously competetive and universities are more than likely going to favour students that they already teach.

And finally, if you're not sure what you want to do at the end of your course then biomedical science is a good option, there are loads of career oppertunities - it's not all about medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Although I may be bias as I go there myself, Reading has a decent reputation, has been around for years (often considered a Red brick Uni), and is of course in the 1994 group, which I consider on par with the Russell. Although I myself don't particularly care about rankings, Reading is a good Uni, you won't regret it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enoch.)
    My mum almost decapitated me for knowing someone going University of East London
    Whats with all this snobbery from your mom! Damn your going to uni for YOURSELF and noone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amybeth11)
    And finally, if you're not sure what you want to do at the end of your course then biomedical science is a good option, there are loads of career oppertunities - it's not all about medicine!
    That's very true. It's important to remember when you go to the Doctor, if they send you or samples away for a test, they will mostly just be just relying on the results to decide on the treatment. Those results will have come from a Biomedical Scientist. Most GPs would struggle to analyse the raw results from many tests.
    To be honest, I blame Hollywood for bigging up medicine. It's "I'm a Doctor so I can run lots of tests, diagnose conditions, perform complex heart and brain surgery and make up any drug required. Oh and I can do this for any species, or alien. I'm so brilliant!"

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me is the London Academy of Diplomacy at the University of East Anglia good? There MA in International Business and Diplomacy is of particular interest to me? Any help would be lovely.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me is the London Academy of Diplomacy at the University of East Anglia good? There MA in International Business and Diplomacy is of particular interest to me? Any help would be lovely.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.