Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Child Maintenance - father as a student watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi All,

    I am father to a 3 year old and have been paying maintenance without fail since his birth. This September, I will be starting university for a 3 year undergrad course and am a bit confused as to how my maintenance requirement will be calculated.
    I will need to reduce the amount that I am paying in order to survive financially but would like to have some information before I bring it up with my ex.
    Do I have a responsibility (legal not moral) to pay maintenance at all whilst I am in full time education? If so, will it be calculated by actual earnings/ predicted earings or previous years earning? As my course involves a failry substantial amount of practice learning, there will be times where I will be unable to work at all for months at a time.

    Please note, I am not trying to avoid my moral obligation to pay. I have been paying almost double the amount set by the CSA in order to help out my ex and ensure my Son has a good upbringing, and if it is the case that I have no responsibility to pay, I would still make a financial commitment to my ex to ensure my Son is looked after.

    Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated!

    Hi there,

    you don't have to pay child maintencance as per the ground set up for these situations from the CSA. I am a single mum and my kids' dad has registered himself as a full time student and I don't get anything. Only recently has he started paying me a few pounds per week after getting himself a new car and living in a very spacious flat while i am on the edge financially. I appreciate that you are concerned about your child. I wished more men were like you. Ring the CSA up and they will send you all the info but please do make sure that you do contribute as much as you can and put your child first.

    Best of luck
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.