Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have an exam in Java, which I think is really stupid because surely the key to programming really is to try things out, work through errors etc until you get to the answer... anyway.

I thought I'd ask here as you guys might understand the stuff you need to know for programming languages and can therefore see the issues I face when trying to revise for it. People suggest things like mindmaps and cue cards, but I have no idea how I can translate 'mindmapping' to programming, the subjects just don't seem to go together that way!

ReputationRep:
    Surely the most obvious way to revise is to read and write code, particularly that which includes concepts your course focuses on.
    The comsci/theory aspects (those which aren't obvious) could be revised like any other topic.
    It kind of depends on what areas you aren't sure about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    So I have an exam in Java, which I think is really stupid because surely the key to programming really is to try things out, work through errors etc until you get to the answer... anyway.

I thought I'd ask here as you guys might understand the stuff you need to know for programming languages and can therefore see the issues I face when trying to revise for it. People suggest things like mindmaps and cue cards, but I have no idea how I can translate 'mindmapping' to programming, the subjects just don't seem to go together that way!
    If it is specifically the programming aspect you need to revise, then I would recommend doing some coding, obviously

I suppose the best thing would be to code algorithms to get yourself thinking logically, whilst at the same time as practising the actual syntax of the language.
    I would recommend perhaps coding your own versions of popular sorting techniques. Just getting something like Quicksort to work is simple enough, but challenge yourself to get the code to be as efficient as possible. There are some obvious tricks, and some more obscure that you often don't even find them in common library versions of the algorithm.

Reading about algorithms on-line and then putting them into code yourself is a very good way of practising logical and ordered thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    If it is specifically the programming aspect you need to revise, then I would recommend doing some coding, obviously

I suppose the best thing would be to code algorithms to get yourself thinking logically, whilst at the same time as practising the actual syntax of the language.
    I would recommend perhaps coding your own versions of popular sorting techniques. Just getting something like Quicksort to work is simple enough, but challenge yourself to get the code to be as efficient as possible. There are some obvious tricks, and some more obscure that you often don't even find them in common library versions of the algorithm.

Reading about algorithms on-line and then putting them into code yourself is a very good way of practising logical and ordered thinking.
    Its the Java language and concepts, including writing code snippets.

Thing is I'm not brilliant at this subject (hence the heavy revision) so I'm not great at physically writing it, I'm probably better at the concepts. I guess I'll have to see if I can find a book that has exercises to work through because I'd have no idea where to start otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Its the Java language and concepts, including writing code snippets.

Thing is I'm not brilliant at this subject (hence the heavy revision) so I'm not great at physically writing it, I'm probably better at the concepts. I guess I'll have to see if I can find a book that has exercises to work through because I'd have no idea where to start otherwise.
    Whilst they have a slightly more mathematical bent, the exercises on Project Euler are first rate.

ReputationRep:
    Revise all the essential syntax, code structure, constructs etc. For examples, assignment of variables, basic loops (for, if, while etc), different types of data structures (integer, float etc) and when they are appropriate, self-created functions and existing library functions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoTree)
    Revise all the essential syntax, code structure, constructs etc. For examples, assignment of variables, basic loops (for, if, while etc), different types of data structures (integer, float etc) and when they are appropriate, self-created functions and existing library functions.

Do this but don't just read the book, that is no good. Write the code and play with it till you can see how it works.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    so long as you know the main syntax and key functions you should be ok, I could write a cheat sheet if you like?

ReputationRep:
    Practice coding, practice coding, practice coding. The best way to revise stuff.

ReputationRep:
    If I remembered correctly, some programmer guy, a really good programmer told me that it is sooo much more easier to create a program from scratch rather than revising a program that was created by other programmers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyla2011)
    If I remembered correctly, some programmer guy, a really good programmer told me that it is sooo much more easier to create a program from scratch rather than revising a program that was created by other programmers.
    I totally agree, shame my uni don't see it this way. First Java lecture they started showing us all sorts of massive programs that just boggled my mind from day 1. Whatever happened to 'hello world'?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any access to past papers? If you do they'll give you a general idea of what will be required from the exam.

If it's on Java, I would assume the exam would test object orientated design principles, UML diagrams, possibly JUnit testing. Obviously, I don't know the syllabus of your course so these are just guesses! As well as stuff as people have previously mentioned.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.