Turn on thread page Beta

Self Harmers' tendency to beat up their loved ones? watch

I am a self harmer, I hit myself really hard, plus I am real strong.

I, in a fit of rage hit myself on my skull with my fists, in front of my girlfriend, she knows I am a self harmer, but wasn't aware that it actually is recognized as a problem.

She is concerned for me as well as her. I don't think I'd ever hurt her. But, she on the other hand fears that in future if I am really angry, I might raise my hand on her.

Is there a study to prove her wrong? Or Is there a study to prove her right?

Plus, what is your take on it, would a self harmer really raise a hand on their loved ones? I wouldn't because I just do it to relieve the stress.

Awaiting replies...

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you be trying to get rid of this self-harming practise rather than finding a study about it?

ReputationRep:
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ckandwhite.jpg

I know of no studies on this. Have you seen a shrink about your self harming tendancies?

(Original post by vpsycho)
    Shouldn't you be trying to get rid of this self-harming practise rather than finding a study about it?
    I want to leave it, but its not as simple as it sounds... Just leave it, won't help... I am working on it...

(Original post by Alpharius)
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ckandwhite.jpg

I know of no studies on this. Have you seen a shrink about your self harming tendancies?
    I haven't seen a shrink, I don't think I would... it would kind of be a stigma (I am not from the developed world) I have talked about it to some people I trust and it has helped me... But, sometimes I just can't control it.

ReputationRep:
    Resulting to the violence because of an angry impulse is idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person probably. I mean, I self harm, but wouldn't hurt anyone else- it's not the same at all, at least for me. But I can't speak for anyone else, if you're worried you'll hurt her, you could try some sort of anger management.

ReputationRep:
    I think that would depend on why you're self harming. I think if you hit yourself "in a fit of rage" then you're more likely to accidentally lash out than people who do it for other reasons - to "feel something" as an example. I wouldn't say it's the self harm that makes you more likely to hit her but the uncontrollable rage. I have problems dealing with anger and I know I will hit people if I'm not careful but it's totally unrelated to the self harm for me.

Perhaps you should consider some kind of anger management?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unlikely - obviously everyone is different, but part of the whole thing with self-harm is that people direct strong feelings like rage inwards instead of lashing out. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Just checked my university's psychology resources, and the only link I could find is that women who self-harm are more likely to be domestically abused by their male partner, which just speaks volumes about how wonderful we are as a species.

She's right to be scared for you, by the way. Go see a bloody counsellor, for her sake.

(Original post by ZZ9)
    Depends on the person probably. I mean, I self harm, but wouldn't hurt anyone else- it's not the same at all, at least for me. But I can't speak for anyone else, if you're worried you'll hurt her, you could try some sort of anger management.
    I would never hit a woman, I have been brought up in an environment of domestic violence and I hated it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.