Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it correct that one is ineligible for a tuition fee loan if they have lived self sufficiently for over three years?

I am transferring from one university to another (on the same course), but I am repeating the second year. For some reason student finance only offers me a tuition fee loan if I say that I am studying in the third year of my course, if I select the second year it gives the tuition fee loan as zero. Any idea what's going on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liiffy)
    Is it correct that one is ineligible for a tuition fee loan if they have lived self sufficiently for over three years?
    No, but

I am transferring from one university to another (on the same course), but I am repeating the second year. For some reason student finance only offers me a tuition fee loan if I say that I am studying in the third year of my course, if I select the second year it gives the tuition fee loan as zero. Any idea what's going on here?
    This is about the limited number of years Student Finance will fund you for - other posters who know better about this side of thing will respond on that side (or I will if no-one turns up!)

ReputationRep:
    I was told that student finance allow for the years in your course, plus one more for failures/transfers/etc....

ReputationRep:
    yeah they should give your length of course + one year, i repeated first year maths so still was able to get funding for the rest of my course if i had carried on..but i dont know why you wont get loan for your repeated 2nd year :confused: ring them up

ReputationRep:
    Have you repeated before, or done a year of another course before this one?

ReputationRep:
    I have done an open university course, but that was only a couple of months long. I was living at home at the time and received a grant of under £200. Would they seriously count that as 'A Year of Study'?

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't effect you at all. The calculator is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it. I'll be phoning them tomorrow to set this straight. Thanks for the help, guys.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.