The Student Room Group

Why are girls so shallow?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by History-Student
Why shouldn't they be? Apparently in your case they have a choice between good looking guys, popular guys & you; who by your own admission are below average and implied to be unpopular?

Why on Earth would they choose you?

Beat me to it.

Girls go for the best guy they can. They do not settle for losers.

Thats biology. Remember a females role in a sexual relationship. They have to carry the baby around for 9 months, they have to give birth, they (usually) look after it. They subconsciously want the best genes (in their eyes; looks, strength, intelligence...).

Why settle for second best?
Original post by Anonymous
Why are girls so shallow? I mean they all have their "type of guy". They all seem to dislike men who aren't good looking. Even if you are, you also have to be popular. If you aren't in a popular group, girls won't regard you at all. Most girls seem superficial and have nothing much underneath and loads of girls walk round thinking they are God's gift to men when they themselves have not much to offer.
Seriously what does a guy have to do to get a genuine girl? I'm 21 and haven't found one girl yet, not one. Also anon mods in case of haters etc.

Got to love stereotypes.

All women are NOT like this! I could say the same thing for guys! I know a group of boys who don't give you a second look unless you're blonde, teeny and petite, and thick. :| Women superficial? pfft! Blokes are just as (if not more) superficial!

There are genuine women out there. I myself am proud to say I am one of them. I could care less about what someone looks like, as I myself used to be an ugly duckling, and I hated how I was judged based on my looks. So I've learnt from that. We are out there! Just takes a bit of looking... I hide in sweet shops :biggrin:
Reply 22
Why are girls so shallow? I mean they all have their "type of guy". They all seem to dislike men who aren't good looking. Even if you are, you also have to be popular. If you aren't in a popular group, girls won't regard you at all. Most girls seem superficial and have nothing much underneath and loads of girls walk round thinking they are God's gift to men when they themselves have not much to offer.
Seriously what does a guy have to do to get a genuine girl? I'm 21 and haven't found one girl yet, not one. Also anon mods in case of haters etc.

I would have to agree with you that quite a majority of girls in general have this ethos, there are many out there, however not all girls are like this. There are some nice girls who look beyond the exterior and are more interested in what one's personality has to offer, i.e funny, friendly, nice, caring, respectful etc.
Reply 23
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Not all of us are shallow and superficial! :smile: We don't really have a particular "type", we just say we do :wink: Most girls wouldn't reject a really nice guy, who they really liked because he was blonde and their "type" was dark-haired guys :p:

Looks aren't everything...yes they are significant because physical attraction is obviously important in a relationship, but its true that an average looking guy can become a lot more attractive and appealing if they've got a good personality. I wouldn't go out with a really hot guy, who was extremely popular because a lot of the time they are vain, cocky and arrogant and can be a bit of a player!

This is everything I would have said!
Reply 24
How dare women choose their sexual partners

how very dare they

stuck up whores
Reply 25
I, like many girls, say I have a 'type', but I obviously would not reject a great guy who doesn't fit the type. People tell me I'm a lot more attractive than my boyfriend, but his confidence and they way he carries himself make him very attractive to me. We were friends for 6 months first though, so maybe stop judging girls and get to know them first?
Reply 26
Original post by Picnic1
There is a complicated equation involving age, looks, dress sense and grooming, physical shape, confidence with women and men as expressed through natural dominance coupled with an acceptable amount of 'ce sera sera' passivity, the levels of intellectual and emotional intelligence including 'common sense' and manual skills, attitude to situations, money and how you spend it, living arrangements.

By far the best post on TSR.
Reply 27
Why do boys generalise so much?

again, generalising... tut tut

ARE YOU SERIOUS? How can you think that when most teenage straight girls are insecure and practically subserviant to men while they arrogantly objectify women?
Reply 30
Because guys aren't like this at all. It's no crime to want to be attracted to someone in more ways than one, male or female.
Reply 31
Original post by Philbert
Why do boys generalise so much?

I was going to correct that to "why do idiots generalise so much?" but then I realised most girls would argue that it's exactly the same thing :ahee:

Everyone has their different preferences... this includes guys - have you seen the amount of threads created by guys complaining about girls that are fat/chavs/wear too much makeup etc. ? Men can be just as shallow and mean.

Maybe you just need to change your approach to women, that isn't meant as an insult at all but perhaps the way you come across is a bit standoffish so it puts women off.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33

This is a point I find myself making surprisingly often to male friends of mine: They're not girls. They're people.

Girls aren't shallow. People are. There are some pretty good reasons for it, too. We're all biologically hardwired to seek healthy mates, and attractiveness generally equates to good physical health (symmetrical features, unblemished skin etc.). How many times have you found yourself lusting over a 19 stone hambeast who's making you feel genuine sympathy for the bench she's sat on? I'll answer it for you: Never.

But, girls tend to work out as being less shallow than guys. That biological hardwiring works very differently across the sexes. While different women have different ideal "types" of guy, men typically (before I get the inevitable outraged rebukes, I'd like to point out that "typically" means "most of the time") have a single ideal type of woman, shared across their culture, which makes it much harder for girls, and forces them all to pursue the same ridiculous ideal.

As for the stuff about popularity, I find myself imagining that you live in a very small town, because that only seems to matter to people with a small town mentality (or school children, but you say you're 21). But even then, I grew up in a small town full of ignorant people, and I was hardly in the popular group, but the unpopular group so vastly outnumbered the popular that I spent my teen years surrounded by wonderful friends, a good deal of whom were girls, and having several wonderful girlfriends. I'm not saying they were all nice, but most were.

To be blunt, if you want to meet a nice, genuine girl, then I suggest the following:

Stop hanging out in the places you usually do. It sounds like they're full of cretins.
Stop hanging around with the people you usually do. It sounds like they're cretins.
Stop hating women. It makes you sound like a cretin.

Hope that helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Misread the Last word of the Title, Thought it said SWALLOW.
Reply 35
EVERYONE is shallow to some extent.
Original post by Watcher7
This is a point I find myself making surprisingly often to male friends of mine: They're not girls. They're people.

Girls aren't shallow. People are. There are some pretty good reasons for it, too. We're all biologically hardwired to seek healthy mates, and attractiveness generally equates to good physical health (symmetrical features, unblemished skin etc.). How many times have you found yourself lusting over a 19 stone hambeast who's making you feel genuine sympathy for the bench she's sat on? I'll answer it for you: Never.

But, girls tend to work out as being less shallow than guys. That biological hardwiring works very differently across the sexes. While different women have different ideal "types" of guy, men typically (before I get the inevitable outraged rebukes, I'd like to point out that "typically" means "most of the time") have a single ideal type of woman, shared across their culture, which makes it much harder for girls, and forces them all to pursue the same ridiculous ideal.

As for the stuff about popularity, I find myself imagining that you live in a very small town, because that only seems to matter to people with a small town mentality (or school children, but you say you're 21). But even then, I grew up in a small town full of ignorant people, and I was hardly in the popular group, but the unpopular group so vastly outnumbered the popular that I spent my teen years surrounded by wonderful friends, a good deal of whom were girls, and having several wonderful girlfriends. I'm not saying they were all nice, but most were.

To be blunt, if you want to meet a nice, genuine girl, then I suggest the following:

Stop hanging out in the places you usually do. It sounds like they're full of cretins.
Stop hanging around with the people you usually do. It sounds like they're cretins.
Stop hating women. It makes you sound like a cretin.

Hope that helps.

+Rep

I think you just nicely summarised the general feelings on this thread quite nicely there!
Reply 37
Tbh I know where he is coming from, and although yeah, not all girls are shallow, but i understand that a lot of girls are obsessed with this perfect celeb culture. where as guys tend to be more obsessed with reality culture. Sure there are shallow guys and gals, but it isn't fair for either sex to be shallow, attraction is important but there's a differences between finding someone good looking and beign attracted to them. Often, a person's personality can make them attractive.

I have had an experience in the past where the shallowness and the celeb obsession of some of my exs were annoying and tbh, hurt me. But now I have a girlfriend who just isn't like that at all. There are really unique girls out there man, just hang in there.
Reply 38
LOL because no guys act like this at all :rofl:
I just tried to rep the OP and it told me I couldn't as I'd repped them recently....oooh the intrigue about who this could be :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending