Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Taking a break from gym - How do I hold on to the muscle I've put on? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify, I'm an 18 y/o male, and I really enjoy working out at the gym, following a good diet and being in good shape

I used to be in fairly bad shape a few years ago. I've lowered my bodyfat a lot since then and gained a lot of muscle.

It's coming up to exam season now anyway. My exams start in two months. I'm bright, and I'm aiming high this year to get into my uni choice, and since I'm aware I didn't too as well as I could last year due to a complete lack of revision/work, I want to make sure I get as much preparation in as possible.

I'm moving house in a few days and I won't have access to a gym for a while, maybe three weeks, due to packing/unpacking etc. and of course revision.

Assuming I didn't work out for three weeks at all, but kept following my good diet with lots of protein, would I lose much muscle or not?

(Bear in mind I won't be able to go to the gym due to being in a new area/new house, not because I'm abstaining from it or anything)

ReputationRep:
    If your doing less exercise you need to make sure you eat a little less id say. Do your BMR and stick with your diet and make sure you get the right amount of protein to help maintain what youve got. Pretty much what you said really. Maybe drop the weights slightly when you start up again.

ReputationRep:
    Your gonna lose a little muscle mass and strength but it should be easy to put back on again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmericanPsycho)
    Just to clarify, I'm an 18 y/o male, and I really enjoy working out at the gym, following a good diet and being in good shape

I used to be in fairly bad shape a few years ago. I've lowered my bodyfat a lot since then and gained a lot of muscle.

It's coming up to exam season now anyway. My exams start in two months. I'm bright, and I'm aiming high this year to get into my uni choice, and since I'm aware I didn't too as well as I could last year due to a complete lack of revision/work, I want to make sure I get as much preparation in as possible.

I'm moving house in a few days and I won't have access to a gym for a while, maybe three weeks, due to packing/unpacking etc. and of course revision.

Assuming I didn't work out for three weeks at all, but kept following my good diet with lots of protein, would I lose much muscle or not?

(Bear in mind I won't be able to go to the gym due to being in a new area/new house, not because I'm abstaining from it or anything)
    I'd say try and get to a few workouts over the few weeks if possible but if not it shouldn't make THAT much difference...

I just had 3 weeks "off" with just a few dumbells to lift instead of a proper gym... And my lifts are down slightly but within a week or so i should be back to the same level... I used it as a mini cut as well to lose a bit of fat...

If you wanna check out my exact figures you can go check my fitness blog for lifts before/afterwards...

ReputationRep:
    Crank out some pushups, pullups, lunges and the like. Then start your weights a bit lower than they were before when you go back to the gym. It's fine. You won't lose much muscle if any. You'll lose strength but that's for other reasons.

ReputationRep:
    lol, three weeks? It will be good for you, **** all will happen. I've taken MONTHS off before, almost a year sometimes with no workouts. I'm back in peak form within about three workouts. Once you've made gains they're really very easy to retain (at least for several weeks if you keep eating enough) and will come back quickly if you ever do wither away a bit.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.