Turn on thread page Beta

i know this is ridiculous, but please bear with me. i also know this is a strange use of the anonymous function, but i'm actually embarrassed that i'm embarrassed. and now im not even making sense. keep anon or delete please?

I really want to have more hobbies and interests, but I'm scared people will judge me for it. And I don't know why this is.

It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking about extracurriculars and hobbies to write about on my PS and it made me realise that I do nothing with my life!

I spend my days studying or watching TV or reading or on the computer. I play piano though, which I love and don't feel silly doing. But that's hardly enough.

People here just don't do clubs. DoE is fine because I do know a few other people that go and enjoy it, but outside of school I find it really difficult to get over my crippling fear of what other people think.

For instance, I want to start doing badminton or rock climbing or abseiling or swimming or something. I think these things look really fun. More so than yoga or going to the gym or dancing, which is really the only things people i know do.

I feel like if I have a meaningful hobby or do something with my free time out of the ordinary for someone my age (ie. something that isn't getting mwi or watching tv) then i'll be seen as some sort of weirdo. i don't have a lot of friends and i'm quite bookish and shy, so ill be seen as a sort of eccentric. Also, I'd be scared that if I went to a club that I wouldn't get to know anyone.

How can I just get over this and join a club without worrying? I really want to, and I know I'll be applying to uni for an oversubscribed course against other people who are national judo champions and chess grandmasters and the like. I need an edge, I need to meet new people and I need to get fit. Can someone help me with this?

tl;dr
    I'm too embarrassed to admit I want to play badminton and go swimming. How can I stop being such a freak?

ReputationRep:
    How can you stop? By simply not caring, what else can you do?

ReputationRep:
    another thread about some stupid gay sheet

ReputationRep:
    you're worried people will think you're weird for joining a sports club... how on earth is that weird

You don't need to join a club to go swimming... or play badminton if you have a friend that wants to play too...

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with that lol? As opposed to sitting around on your arse making silly TSR threads o.o?

ReputationRep:
    Badminton is fun, it's hardly something to be embarrassed about, as is swimming. They'll make you healthier too!

I don't really see sport as being hobbies though. When I think of hobbies, I think of photography and stamp collecting. Not sure why.

ReputationRep:
    Go the full way and take up Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and become a cage-fighter, that will show the admissions teacher that you not only have a hobby but that you're a hard-ass mother****er, oh and no-one will think you're a freak or dare to say it to you as you'll have the potential to tear their limbs off.

Too far? If not just go to the gym and go swimming there's nothing wrong with it and it will probably make you feel and look better. Or just tag-along with your friends one time and go dancing or yoga with them? The world is your oyster!

ReputationRep:
    Choose something, sign up and go. The first (and maybe second) will probably be very embarrassing and then you'll find that other people don't care and you enjoy it.

I'd just go for it. If you don't like it you can always stop.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the embarrassing hobby was going to be being a furry or a Twilight appreciation club or something.

Badminton? Do me a favour.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.jeremyhall.co.uk/wp-conte...10/10/Nike.jpg

Also, you got me thinking about hobbies and I have a few that I would never talk about to anyone I know. For example, growing cannabis. I love messing around with hydroponics and I've got 3 different strains going in my wardrobe at the moment. Another is building websites, I never tell any of my friends about that. I also go for really long walks into the middle of nowhere every sunday, its a private thing, I bring a camera/sketchbook/watercolours/pencil and have like 20+ full sketchbooks of my roaming, its no ones business.

People dont need to know you do these things so you dont need to be embarrassed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i know this is ridiculous, but please bear with me. i also know this is a strange use of the anonymous function, but i'm actually embarrassed that i'm embarrassed. and now im not even making sense. keep anon or delete please?

I really want to have more hobbies and interests, but I'm scared people will judge me for it. And I don't know why this is.

It's getting to the stage where I'm thinking about extracurriculars and hobbies to write about on my PS and it made me realise that I do nothing with my life!

I spend my days studying or watching TV or reading or on the computer. I play piano though, which I love and don't feel silly doing. But that's hardly enough.

People here just don't do clubs. DoE is fine because I do know a few other people that go and enjoy it, but outside of school I find it really difficult to get over my crippling fear of what other people think.

For instance, I want to start doing badminton or rock climbing or abseiling or swimming or something. I think these things look really fun. More so than yoga or going to the gym or dancing, which is really the only things people i know do.

I feel like if I have a meaningful hobby or do something with my free time out of the ordinary for someone my age (ie. something that isn't getting mwi or watching tv) then i'll be seen as some sort of weirdo. i don't have a lot of friends and i'm quite bookish and shy, so ill be seen as a sort of eccentric. Also, I'd be scared that if I went to a club that I wouldn't get to know anyone.

How can I just get over this and join a club without worrying? I really want to, and I know I'll be applying to uni for an oversubscribed course against other people who are national judo champions and chess grandmasters and the like. I need an edge, I need to meet new people and I need to get fit. Can someone help me with this?

tl;dr
    I'm too embarrassed to admit I want to play badminton and go swimming. How can I stop being such a freak?
    I'm sure the vast majority of people I know will soon realise that they don't do anything in their lives either

I actually asked a few people at school what their hobbies are because I was actually thinking of what I would be able to put down on my PS, and most people can't come up with anything meaningful

Funnily enough, I play badminton and am thinking of starting to do tournaments or play competitively so that it's good enough to say on a PS, and I'm actually looking to get back into fishkeeping, which I used to be passionate about but recently started to lose interest in.

If you're worried about people thinking you're weird because of your hobbies, it's not as bad as you think. people don't judge you that much at all, and even if at first you come across as kinda weird because of your hobbies, they'll quickly forget it if they talk to you and you become friends

the easy answer is to stop caring about what the masses think of you and just to hang out with friends who like you regardless

easier said than done, though

also, I'm no personal statement master, but extra curriculars related to your subject will be much more helpful than sports and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KNOB-head)
    another thread about some stupid gay sheet

Hahaha knob head

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.