Turn on thread page Beta

I have a question about linear transformations... watch

ReputationRep:
    Define T: P_2 --> R^2 by T(p) = \begin{bmatrix} p(0) \\p(1) \end{bmatrix}. For instance, if p(t)=3+5t+7t^2, then T(p) = \begin{bmatrix} 3 \\15 \end{bmatrix}

Find a polynomial p in P_2 that spans the kernel of T, and describe the range of T.

The answer is:

Any quadratic polynomial that vanishes at 0 and 1 must be a multiple of p(t) = t(t-1). The range of T is R^2...I know how to find a polynomial that spans the kernel, but I don't know how to find the range...I don't know why its R^2

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    take any element, (x,y) in R^2, then (x,y) is in the range of T if we can find p s.t. p(0) = x, p(1) = y. Note that P(t) = yt + x(1-t) is such a polynomial for any (x,y) (assuming that P_2 is any polynomial with degree 2 or less, if it's degree of exactly 2, add an t^2 term and then fiddle the other terms to make it work)

Hence, every (x,y) is in the range, so R^2 is a subset of the range. Its also obvious that the range is a subset of R^2 and hence they are equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    take any element, (x,y) in R^2, then (x,y) is in the range of T if we can find p s.t. p(0) = x, p(1) = y. Note that P(t) = yt + x(1-t) is such a polynomial for any (x,y) (assuming that P_2 is any polynomial with degree 2 or less, if it's degree of exactly 2, add an t^2 term and then fiddle the other terms to make it work)

Hence, every (x,y) is in the range, so R^2 is a subset of the range. Its also obvious that the range is a subset of R^2 and hence they are equal.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if I understood this...I asked my professor a similar question:

Define a linear transformation T: P_2 --> R^2 by
    T(p) = \begin{bmatrix} p(0) \\p(0) \end{bmatrix}. Find polynomials p_1 and p_2 in P_2 that span the kernel of T, and describe the range of T.

We can say p_1 = x and p_2 = x^2 ...my professor said...if we look at the polynomial ax^2 + bx + c, then at t=0, we will have
    T(p) = \begin{bmatrix} c \\c \end{bmatrix}. So the span is \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\1 \end{bmatrix}. Is it ok if you try to explain it in a similar way so that it is easier for me? (if possible) By the way, I did not understand the professor's explanation very well (I thought I did, but I got confused when I looked at the question again)...

ReputationRep:
    Well generally explaining it to you in a way you've already not understood makes very little sense, so instead here's a more general explanation:

The range of a function is all the values it can generate. In the example your professor used, it can generate points in R^2 of the form (c,c), which are spanned (if looked at as a vector space) by (1,1). This means that anything in the range of T can be created by a linear combination of (1,1)s, i.e. c*(1,1).

In the other example you've figured out or been told that the range is R^2. The sensible way to prove that is to show that the range is a subset of R^2 and vice versa. So, first we take anything in R^2 and prove it's in the range of T. To do this we need to show there's a p s.t. T(p) generates each point in R^2(which is what I showed in my first post). The range also has to be a subset of R^2 as T maps into R^2 by definition. Hence we have equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMo1)
    Well generally explaining it to you in a way you've already not understood makes very little sense, so instead here's a more general explanation:

The range of a function is all the values it can generate. In the example your professor used, it can generate points in R^2 of the form (c,c), which are spanned (if looked at as a vector space) by (1,1). This means that anything in the range of T can be created by a linear combination of (1,1)s, i.e. c*(1,1).

In the other example you've figured out or been told that the range is R^2. The sensible way to prove that is to show that the range is a subset of R^2 and vice versa. So, first we take anything in R^2 and prove it's in the range of T. To do this we need to show there's a p s.t. T(p) generates each point in R^2(which is what I showed in my first post). The range also has to be a subset of R^2 as T maps into R^2 by definition. Hence we have equality.
    Thank you for clarifying. Actually, I didn't mean that I had to prove that the range was R^2...I know the answer, because its the answer of an odd question in our textbook...so what if you didn't know that the range was R^2...how would you find out then? In other words, I'm not being asked to prove that the range is R^2; I'm being asked to find the range.

ReputationRep:
    It completely depends on the question. In the problem you asked it was rather obvious: for a quadratic ax^2 + bx + x, p(0) = c, p(1) = a+b+c. It's pretty easy to see from this that we can get any values for p(0) and p(1) so it spans the whole of R^2.

There is no set formula for doing this, you just have to look at it and see what's going on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.