This discussion is closed.
Pollo Loco
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hiya everybody,
Anybody doing/done the A2 biology coursework on distance perception? You have to design and carry out an experiment to show the difference in the accuracy of distance judgement when using 1 eye as opposed to 2 eyes. I have a method which i think will work and i plan to build a model this weekend but i'd like to hear any ideas you clever people out there have had. Plus if anyone has a clue on what theory to include in the discussion/planning part i'd be most grateful if you could give me a hint. The rest of the class is having problems too so at least i ain't alone there. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
PL
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh wow, I want to do your coursework! We're doing stupid enzymes - just 'cause they're essential for life on Earth doesn't mean I have to *like* the damn things :mad: What board are you with? AQA have practically ZILCH on the eye, no more than we learnt at GCSE-level.

In terms of theory, I don't know what syllabus you're doing so I dunno how much they expect you to include. Anyway, distance perception requires binocular vision in the areas of:

Convergence - decrease/increase in distance between you and an object causes accomodation.

Disparity - used when looking at multiple objects - one object being fixated on is imaged on the fovea in each retina, while the other objects are not. Due to convergence the fovea is the one symmetrical place where focusing can occur, so non-fixated objects are disparately projected onto the retina in each eye and help in perceiving distance, as if those disparate images are projected on the retinal tissue surrounding the fovea, fusion occurs and you get one binocular image. I think that's called stereopsis or summat.

Those are the two things that need both eyes and they're kind of the most important. If you only use one eye you only have a relative estimate of the distance based on things like past experience and whether things are overlapping or not.

Try this for more info too - http://webvision.med.utah.edu/KallDepth.html

Probably the main control variables you'd need to look at would be controlling the variables depended upon by the eye for monocular vision e.g. object overlap, object height, lighting conditions and movement... I think. You'd just be wanting the presence/absence of convergence and disparity to be the variables you're changing? As they're the main difference between depth perception in binocular and monocular vision.

Gah, I know waaaaaaay too much about this stuff - 'cause I had my Orthoptics interview yesterday. I was freaking out and reading my 50p-at-the-carboot-sale Opthalmology book into the small hours in case the person interviewing me asked me anything about accomodation and stuff. All for nothing, of course! Hope that's of use - I'm totally rubbish at designing and carrying out experiments and they always let me down in my final mark, so I wish you all the best!

{Edit: Yes, I did in fact write dinocular vision. Would that be what dinosaurs use to see with? }
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Cheers some good ideas there. Am buried in books already with this coursework. We're on AQA too but ours is Specification B.
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
(Original post by oanjum)
i'm doing the same as you.
Really, excellent! Our teachers were positive we wouldn't be able to find any body else doin it. I have a few ideas too if you wanna hear.
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Gah, I envy you! The one sort of coursework I'd actually be any good at and I'm doing the wrong sodding specification. Bah! :mad: Glad the info was of use!
FranksandBeans
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Yeah I'm doing that coursework to. I dnt know why though. Its so blimmin' hard and I cant find info on the net anywhere. My first draught's supposed to be in on Monday and I havent even started yet
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads