Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Wookie42)
    "The transmission of HIV from mother to child is a widespread problem throughout the world, as 25 to 35% of all babies whose mothers possess an untreated strain of the virus become infected"

http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/a...?articleid=433
    That's not hereditary...it's through fluids during birth that it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M&Ms)
    me neither but he isnt very confident and stuff and he is like 17 and he hadnt kissed a girl before me and things. Surely from my other posts you could tell i am not exactly quiet. just dont want to hurt him i am pretty much in love with him
    I haven’t read your other posts but if you love him then your wont hurt him… I mean not many relationships that started as teenagers last years so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    lol funny how people think HIV is hereditary.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of question is 'What do I do'. Should he be the one asking that????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refrigerator)
    Doesn't the baby receive bodily fluids through the fallopian tube from the parent in order to get nutrients etc. in the womb?
    Yes. It doesn't always infect the child. It is quite likely though, especially if (as has been said above) the mother is not being treated.

It's vastly more likely if HIV has developed into AIDS in the mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    That's not hereditary...it's through fluids during birth that it's possible.
    Didn't say it was hereditary, just that it is my no means impossible that HIV is passed onto a child from the mother.

Didn't say it was hereditary, just that it is my no means impossible that HIV is passed onto a child from the mother.
    I never argued against that fact...I merely pointed it out it wasn't hereditary :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I meant when I said hereditary, sorry for the confusion :P

ReputationRep:
    I never argued against that fact...I merely pointed it out it wasn't hereditary :rolleyes:
    This could go on for a while

This could go on for a while
    Not really. I don't understand why you quoted me all that jargon when you were never intending to contradict what I said..?

ReputationRep:
    He could be nervous that he'll be bad. Take control or lie through your teeth if he is.

ReputationRep:
    What's the big deal?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the baby receive bodily fluids through the fallopian tube from the parent in order to get nutrients etc. in the womb?
    I think you mean placenta, and that's congenital transmission, not hereditary. The virus may also be passed in breast milk.

Thanks to whoever negged me, I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Guys i'm not usually "this guy" but WAAAAYYY off topic, the problem she stated isn't whether HIV is gonna be a problem... anyway not from experience but make sure he's comfortable and let him know you're not expecting him to be a *freak in the bed* he'll get better with time

ReputationRep:
    And the first thing you do is post on tsr?
    Would you have preferred he lied until later on?

Get in there! And whatever you do; don't patronise him. Just be mature about it and show him the ropes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    I think you mean placenta, and that's congenital transmission, not hereditary. The virus may also be passed in breast milk.
    oh yeah, not fallopian tube, I meant umbilical cord :P

Thanks to whoever negged me, I appreciate it
    I just got 2 negs too which hit me like a truck

oh yeah, not fallopian tube, I meant umbilical cord :P

I just got 2 negs too which hit me like a truck
    Someone needs to go brush up on their biology
    And haterz gonna hate. Fact of life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    ...and he doesn't mind that he told you this five minutes ago, and the first thing you do is go on an internet forum to ask for help? Is he still in the room?
    was a text

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Take it slowly with him and make sure he's comfortable. It's hardly a big deal, now, is it?
    What are you on about.

You need to be voracious with the noobs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.