Turn on thread page Beta

Man arrested for burning the Quran watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    We should burn the rest of them to as well as all the bibles and everything else to do with religion. At least he's got the ball rolling.

All religion does is cause violence. Every single forum I go on has a religion section where people argue about books and how some bloke up above the clouds magically impregnated a woman who decided to give her son a Spanish name even though both her and Joseph were from Israel. Then you have the Muslims. Allah teaches us peace yet I stick the tv on a few weeks back and there are Muslims chanting about the war dead. Peace my ass!

Religion is responsible for so much conflict! religion causes racial tension and social divide. Its beyond pathetic!!

bol!ocks to religion, let's have some real talk!!
    You have no religion, yet your post is filled with hateful intolerance. I hope you see the irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    Islam teaches me to exercise peace.
    Interesting... because suicide bombers seem to have been taught something entirely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    You have no religion, yet your post is filled with hateful intolerance. I hope you see the irony.
    1. That's not irony.

2. Big difference between a "hateful" post on a student forum, and holy wars/terrorist attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    1. That's not irony.

2. Big difference between a "hateful" post on a student forum, and holy wars/terrorist attacks.
    1. Someone complaining of the hate being spewed from another group whilst also being hateful is ironic.

2. I didn't claim those 2 events were synonymous.

ReputationRep:
    good
    mustve been a fool
    but good

ReputationRep:
    1. Someone complaining of the hate being spewed from another group whilst also being hateful is ironic.

2. I didn't claim those 2 events were synonymous.
    1. No, it's hypocritical, it's not ironic.

2. I know, I'm showing you the massive difference between what you're fictitiously comparing.

Edit: Haha, typical TSRian - loses the argument, so neg reps and runs away.

ReputationRep:
    Its not hate. I just think that religions lead to more violence and conflict in the world even though they all profess to be peaceful.

ReputationRep:
    Every single forum I go on has a religion section where people argue about books and how some bloke up above the clouds magically impregnated a woman who decided to give her son a Spanish name even though both her and Joseph were from Israel.
    Thats like saying Mohammed was given an English name because Muslims all call their boys Mohammed here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Thats like saying Mohammed was given an English name because Muslims all call their boys Mohammed here.
    My point was that its about as far-fetched as Hollyoaks. If people want to believe it then thats up to them but there is no need for all the conflict and violence and dictatorship that comes with it. The amount of people in today's world that try and force their religion on you is disgusting.

I've been walking through the city centre and have people come up to you in your face, Jesus loves you, sign up to our subscription service and such.

If there was no religions and people started believing in scientific factual evidence then we'd all be on an equal footing.

The Bible and The Koran are about as feasible as the Harry Potter series.

ReputationRep:
    My point was that its about as far-fetched as Hollyoaks. If people want to believe it then thats up to them but there is no need for all the conflict and violence and dictatorship that comes with it. The amount of people in today's world that try and force their religion on you is disgusting.

I've been walking through the city centre and have people come up to you in your face, Jesus loves you, sign up to our subscription service and such.

If there was no religions and people started believing in scientific factual evidence then we'd all be on an equal footing.

The Bible and The Koran are about as feasible as the Harry Potter series.
    I don't agree. If this was true then for example, how would it be said in the Qur'an that the Earth was round, the sun produces it's own light and the planets reflect light before telescopes were invented, and so on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    I don't agree. If this was true then for example, how would it be said in the Qur'an that the Earth was round, the sun produces it's own light and the planets reflect light before telescopes were invented, and so on?
    The Koran is not fact, neither is The Bible. Anyone who thinks it is really needs to wake up.

The best thing to do is get rid of religion.

Religion is the cause of social divide. Many white people assume all Muslims are of Asian decent and are therefore hostile towards them. This leads to reverse hostility and hatred towards white people because they're all assumed to hate Islam. This leads to stupid groups like the English Dickhe*d League being formed and then Muslim groups reacting in violence by burning poppies.

When are people going to grow up and learn to get on with each other in life?

ReputationRep:
    The Koran is not fact, neither is The Bible. Anyone who thinks it is really needs to wake up.

The best thing to do is get rid of religion.

Religion is the cause of social divide. Many white people assume all Muslims are of Asian decent and are therefore hostile towards them. This leads to reverse hostility and hatred towards white people because they're all assumed to hate Islam. This leads to stupid groups like the English Dickhe*d League being formed and then Muslim groups reacting in violence by burning poppies.

When are people going to grow up and learn to get on with each other in life?
    Good question at the end there. The problem is greatly in the media's presentation of 'events'. Where these Muslims are concerned, they should not hate any people because of there ethnicity or race, etc. - it's judging a book by it's cover. However in the matter of these white people ,hating Muslims or asians...well..they should just get on with life and accept that it's a multicultural, multiethnic world and that nobody is better than anyone else. SIMPLES!

btw, I disagree with your first statement of the post I quoted above. Just saying

ReputationRep:
    wow.people need to start leaving all religions alone.i know it's hilarious when some people are devout,have no life because they're so devout and crazy,they come from all religions,but....

i do not tolerate the burning of ANY book because:

ReputationRep:
    This notion that the Koran is above being burned is absolutely ridiculous. This is Britain, for crying out loud, not some uneducated Islamic country. We're aware that the Koran is not the word of God, so why give it even an ounce of respect?

Let's face it. It's a homophobic, sexist, fascist and anti-Semitic text.

ReputationRep:
    This sort of reaction from the Government is only going to stir up more tension. I know it's a lose-lose situation really, because if they did let it pass then they'd have to face repercussions there too. As I say, all in all, lose-lose.

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't taken to court. What are you talking about? Did you even read the story?
    Yes I read the story. But the thing is he could have been taken to court, the fact they had not enough evidence was the most disturbing bit. - Yet he was still arrested.

Not really the type of society I want to live in to be honest.

:facepalm: That is a crime.
    Oh really?

If you read my previous posts before that, I stated that that should be the only crime. Not what one does to incite it, as he isn't physically harming anyone.

ReputationRep:
    people should have respect for what others believe in be it the bible, Quran, Torah...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    This thread isnt going to end well :sad:

But im going to sit back and enjoy
    Im also sitting back with a coffee in my hands getting ready for this.

ill just say this though, Tolerance usually means to sit back keep your mouth shut and well, as the penguins say, "Smile and wave"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanNorth)
    Yes I read the story. But the thing is he could have been taken to court, the fact they had not enough evidence was the most disturbing bit. - Yet he was still arrested.

Not really the type of society I want to live in to be honest.
    One where the police investigate crimes

(Original post by JonathanNorth)
    Oh really?
    If you read my previous posts before that, I stated that that should be the only crime. Not what one does to incite it, as he isn't physically harming anyone.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    One where the police investigate crimes
    Investigate first. If he has committed a crime, then arrest. What it looks like here is that they arrested him, then released him due to lack of evidence. But what other evidence would they got by arresting him? Nil.

Owens was arrested within hours of police receiving the video. A second person, believed to have filmed the Qur'an burning, is also in police custody.
    Oh mean come on wtf?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.