The Student Room Group

Man arrested for burning the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by dan9
look, i dont think you will find anyone on here who thinks burning a quran or bible or whatever it may be is acceptable.

I think it is 'acceptable'. I certainly should be legal.

If it is 'wrong' to burn the Quran it's, in my opinion, only wrong in so far as it's a book. So, burning the Quran is no more wrong than burning Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Out of respect for the sanctity of books, I think book burning should be met with disapproval, but this should be the case for all books.
Reply 101
Original post by dan9
British soldiers burn in hell, sounds racial to me mate

Well it's not.
Original post by Selkarn
This is incorrect. Anyone who simply disagrees with you is obviously exercising their right to freedom of speech, whilst you still retain yours. However, physically arresting you because of your view is infringing upon your right to free speech.

Hence why I wrote "of course not". I see what you mean about the second bit, but he wasn't arrested for an opinion, he was arrested for an action - does that really come under "free speech"? I guess depending on it's definition it does, but then if you are using a wider definition you must agree on some kind of restriction. I.e. psychological bullying wouldn't be defended as free speech.
Reply 103
Original post by callum9999
If you have to ask why, you have serious issues

Why not answer the bloody question instead of launching a personal insult, FFS!

callum9999
My issue is that his actions were designed to provoke people and cause emotional distress.

Well, the stuff in the Quran itself is provocative and emotionally distressing to a lot of people.

callum9999
especially the last major time a Quran was publicly burnt it resulted in several deaths of innocent people.

You can't hold people who burnt copies of the Quran for that, anymore than you can blame women for getting raped.
Original post by B-Man.
And the police made arrests following this

The police carried out an investigation because it is their job to investigate any possible crimes before acting on it. I saw the programme when it aired and there was an arrest which ensued so you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

no-one was arrested for a hate crime, ie, the words used against homosexuals/women- which are quite clear, that was down to the W/M police-force trying to please their poltical masters of the Labour party.

wait- in fact, the arrest was entirely unrelated, the two programmes were completely different, and years apart- no action was taken against the muslims in the Green Lane Mosque programme- where in my eyes, the acts were of a consierable degree worse.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 105
This matter could not be any any less important.
Just so you all know, I read it as 'the Queen' and wondered why it hadn't been in the "Top 10 Most Read on the beeb".
x
Reply 107
Original post by B-Man.
Well it's not.

well in my opinion i think it is, considering anything can be taken as racial nowadays. Besides, why were they not arrested for breaching the peace at least?
Reply 108
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
I don't really understand why you would want to burn one :\

anyway, in my view, freedom of speech doesn't include the freedom to deliberately offend other people's culture, religion or traditions

Yes it does.. It all comes down to freedom of speech. Based on what you are saying people had the right to jail Galileo for saying that the Earth is not flat.. Surely I can always argue that Galileo was offending the religious and cultural beliefs of the people from that particular era. To them it was just like burning the Quran. Now why is the act of punishing Galileo any more ignorant than punishing someone for burning the Quran?
Burning the Quran is stupid. Causing hatred amongst people is an effective approach to humiliate an ethnic or religious minority. But in order to avoid incidents like these from happening you certainly shouldn't take their right to freely express their beliefs. You can educate people instead so that there would be fewer ignorant Quran burning idiots and also fewer reactive defensive victims.
Reply 109
Original post by humanrights
watch how the medieval muslims now go on a rampage murdering dozens of people -- then watch how the politicians condemn the book burner for causing the trouble.

funny, when those pitch fork waving muslims went on a rampage the other week, they burnt bibles. so, why no outrage in the christian world??

I do not remember the ones with pitch forks. They sound brilliant. Pictures?
Reply 110
Original post by marshymarsh
Just so you all know, I read it as 'the Queen' and wondered why it hadn't been in the "Top 10 Most Read on the beeb".
x

Thanks for the warning in your sig :top:

Original post by dan9
well in my opinion i think it is, considering anything can be taken as racial nowadays. Besides, why were they not arrested for breaching the peace at least?

Because it was a part of a demonstration which had been organised with the local authorities i.e the police.
Original post by barzy_j
Not so much anymore valid than anyone else's but put it this way, my belief is stronger to me than what another thinks of it.

I could say the exact same thing about my beliefs. Does that mean the government should be arresting people for expressing any opposing beliefs? No.
Original post by Ramel
Why not answer the bloody question instead of launching a personal insult, FFS!

Well, the stuff in the Quran itself is provocative and emotionally distressing to a lot of people.

You can't hold people who burnt copies of the Quran for that, anymore than you can blame women for getting raped.

Why not stop selectively chopping my answers out of your quotes, FFS! The sentence literally straight after that quote answered it. I was just bemused at how you couldn't figure out why someone could think a BNP candidate who burnt a copy of the Quran is scum.

I wouldn't really call something you have to actively look for "provocative" but I see your point (vaguely anyway, I've never met anyone who has been emotionally distressed by the Quran or the various other religious books) . However, it's pretty different as that is supposedly just a list of things god wants whereas this is a case of someone deliberately being abusive for no particular reason.

Well, I wouldn't say they caused the deaths, but I can certainly blame them. The aim of the book burning was to spread hatred - violence is the logical conclusion from that as religion makes people crazy. The aim of a woman dressing provocatively (or even just being a woman) isn't to be raped or encourage rape.
...What law is he even breaking?
F**king disgraceful.

Britain is supposedly a liberal democracy: In a real democracy, there is freedom of expression, you don't have to "respect" a silly, ignorant holy book.

How the f**k can so many people on here not see that, just because you find some words or some action to be disrespectful, does not mean it should be illegal to say or do.

Holy s**t.
Voters aint gonna like that...
Reply 116
Original post by callum9999
Why not stop selectively chopping my answers out of your quotes, FFS! The sentence literally straight after that quote answered it. I was just bemused at how you couldn't figure out why someone could think a BNP candidate who burnt a copy of the Quran is scum.

Is he scum because he is a BNP member or because he burnt a copy of the Quran?

callum9999
I wouldn't really call something you have to actively look for "provocative" but I see your point (vaguely anyway, I've never met anyone who has been emotionally distressed by the Quran or the various other religious books) . However, it's pretty different as that is supposedly just a list of things god wants whereas this is a case of someone deliberately being abusive for no particular reason.

A list of things god wants that Muslims implement on earth, and the reason why there is little if any, tolerance for gays, free thinkers, many religious minorities and et cetera in Muslim-majority countries.

callum9999
Well, I wouldn't say they caused the deaths, but I can certainly blame them. The aim of the book burning was to spread hatred - violence is the logical conclusion from that as religion makes people crazy. The aim of a woman dressing provocatively (or even just being a woman) isn't to be raped or encourage rape.

Well, that's your opinion. A lot of people would say women dressing in a certain way are 'asking for it' if they are raped.
Reply 117
Original post by meowmeowmutiny
...What law is he even breaking?

Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006: Section 29B: (1) A person who uses threatening words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, is guilty of an offence if he intends thereby to stir up religious hatred.

I think its that one anyway, the police haven't released information on what he has been charged with yet.
Reply 118
Eugh. And yet we do nothing when groups of radical Muslims burn Poppies, or Uk and US flags?

Alright, there were a few small fines for the Poppy Burners, but nothing like what there should have been.

I think it's utterly disgusting that he may face criminal charges for this. Our judicial system is so duplicite it's a wonder it functions sometimes.
Original post by Ramel
Is he scum because he is a BNP member or because he burnt a copy of the Quran?

A list of things god wants that Muslims implement on earth, and the reason why there is little if any, tolerance for gays, free thinkers, many religious minorities and et cetera in Muslim-majority countries.

Well, that's your opinion. A lot of people would say women dressing in a certain way are 'asking for it' if they are raped.

Well, being a BNP member is generally enough for me to come to that conclusion (people can say they aren't racist or intolerant all they want but at the end of the day they are supporting others who are) but in this case it was the Quran burning that triggered the thought.

Except for in the hard line countries, tolerance for those groups is far higher than people imagine they are. I do agree it isn't remotely high enough though - and it's similar in many christian countries. Thankfully a lot of them have been (too slowly) working on reforms for a while now.

Well, yes and no. They are certainly increasing their chances of being raped but I certainly would never blame any rape victim of it being their fault.

Quick Reply