Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been looking in to Hull uni and found out that its a traditional red brick university and yet it isn't in the russell group or 1994 group and on the league table (independent) it ranks lower than the former polytechnics (Oxford Brooks, Hertfordshire, Trent University).

What went wrong?
    Is Hull considered good?

ReputationRep:
    Just like their football team they are inconsistent

I really like the campus in Hull. I think it was lovely. The environment and the facilities (e.g. the library) are brilliant IMO. But I agree with the inconsistency. I got my GCSE's in Hull and then moved to London. All people in my school who got C's and B's in GCSE and those with C's and D's in A-level went to Hull uni. The better ones left for Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield etc.
    I think not many people like to come to Hull because it is a rather deprived city and it can get quite boring. So students with better academic abilities would choose Leeds or York or Sheffield over Hull because those cities are much more interesting. :don'tknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ultimate mashup)
    I've recently been looking in to Hull uni and found out that its a traditional red brick university and yet it isn't in the russell group or 1994 group and on the league table (independent) it ranks lower than the former polytechnics (Oxford Brooks, Hertfordshire, Trent University).

What went wrong?
    Is Hull considered good?
    Shock horror.

Colour of bricks not a factor in quality of education.

ReputationRep:
    Word of advice, don't listen to the league tables outside the top 20 and bottom 30, or at all for that matter. Hull is a wonderful place, and as long as you like it, go there! The inconsistency can obviously act as a downside for you, but it's only inconsistent in league tables, not staff or grades.

If your like a few people on this site, you may not be able to ignore where the independant newspaper puts it on a list between 1 and 120, but once you get to uni, you shall realise that uni is much more than information on a list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James1977)
    Shock horror.

Erm, he means in this sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_brick_university

That aside, Hull isn't a 'traditional' red brick uni, OP.

ReputationRep:
    I think Hull is much underrated after reading TSR posts for quite a long while. I have heard a lot of good things about it but to be honest, I have never known this university before I came to UK and I believe only very few students in my country would choose to study in Hull.

ReputationRep:
    Because its Hull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)

:facepalm2:

Erm, I know that. The basis for my retort was the italicized words in this commentby the OP.

ie: The fact it is a red brick (though not 'traditional' red brick:rolleyes:) doesn't automatically confer greatness.

or,

.....perhaps the quality of the education within a university has more to do with the staff than masonry colouration......

or

Shock horror.

ReputationRep:
    Why does the fact that some former polytechnics outrank Hull make it "inconsistant"? Is there some rule that all former polytechnics need to rank below pre-1992 universities? Perhaps Nottingham Trent is a good university?

It's actually performed consistantly in league tables. You also realise that, talking league tables, its position is comparable to Russell Group and 1994 Group universities?

(Original post by James1977)
    [.....perhaps the quality of the education within a university has more to do with the staff than masonry colouration......
    Yes, though many expect a "redbrick"( using it very broadly as a pre-1992 or perhaps pre-1960s university rather than its original definition) to be automatically better than a former polytechnic tbut then Hull doesn't exactly provide a poor quality of education.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=River85;30782512]Why does the fact that some former polytechnics outrank Hull make it "inconsistant"? Is there some rule that all former polytechnics need to rank below pre-1992 universities? Perhaps Nottingham Trent is a good university?[QUOTE=River85;30782512]

I just thought that generally the red bricks out performed the former poly technics and i just wondered if there was any reason why this one didn't.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got in for drama with an E at A-level.

Anywhere you can get onto a course with an E deserves no respect IMO.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Have a look under 'other institutions' and hull is there.

Either way IMO it doesn't matter. The place doesn't have the best of reputations which is a shame because if it did the Uni would by default have a better rep and attract more people to it!

But the uni itself is lovely! Really beautiful campus, the nightlife is great, the people are friendly, and Hull is consistently in the Top 10 for student satisfaction, and you cant ignore that aspect.

Yes maybe i sound biased right now, but i never wanted to go to hull. I'd set my mind completely against it and decided i hated it (for no good reason other than 'its hull'), but now i'm here i'd never want to be anywhere else Dont worry about the inconsistencies, just decide based on if you like the place and the course
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ultimate mashup)
    I just thought that generally the red bricks out performed the former poly technics and i just wondered if there was any reason why this one didn't.
    Honestly, (and this is just my opinion so dont take my word for it) I really think it is a knock on effect from the stigma the city has attached to it. No one wants to come here (it is quite out of the way, somewhere you only go if you want to go, its never passed through) so the uni have to offer lower grades to attract more people to it. People automatically assume Hull is horrible, so the uni need to offer lower grades and therefore end up lower on the tables. In terms of teaching and standards, that really isn't reflected by our place in any of the tables so dont let that factor in if you're planning on coming here

ReputationRep:
    The league table thing is abit weird. Hull never scores highly because it's not very research focussed, hence why it's not in the Russell group. Tbh, I prefer this. My brother went to Lancaster and could never get hold of his tutors because they were researching, privately studying, on research leave etc. Whereas you walk down the law corridor at hull an all the tutors have office hours nearly every day and there's never signs outside saying not to disturb them. Much better experience
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    The league table thing is abit weird. Hull never scores highly because it's not very research focussed, hence why it's not in the Russell group. Tbh, I prefer this. My brother went to Lancaster and could never get hold of his tutors because they were researching, privately studying, on research leave etc. Whereas you walk down the law corridor at hull an all the tutors have office hours nearly every day and there's never signs outside saying not to disturb them. Much better experience
    Same down the Language corridor everyones really helpful and has a minute to spare if you need help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    Same down the Language corridor everyones really helpful and has a minute to spare if you need help!
    The whole uni has a really nice feel to it - most lecturers are called by there first names and its all friendly - teaching is still high standard though

ReputationRep:

It is not funny if you have to explain it.

IMO, lighten up.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Hull
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.