Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice on changing car. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm going to get a BMW before the end of this month but I just wanted some advice. I have a choice of getting a 3 series convertible(e46) with around 120k on the clock and a 3 series coupe(e46) with around 80k on the clock. The prices will be around the same and both will have full service history.

My question is that would the convertible still be as reliable considering it has a higher mileage? Other factors to take into consideration are that the convertible will be the 318ci whereas the coupe would be the 323ci.

Any input would help a bunch but I would definitely love to get a convertible considering the sun's going mental atm. Thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If they both have full service history and similar prices id say go for the one with less miles. 120k is a lot of miles.

ReputationRep:
    what model year are they? id go for the one with less mileage like emma said!

ReputationRep:
    Buy on condition, not mileage, if its been well looked after you'll have no problems with high mile BMWs.
    Check it's been regularly serviced and any recalls have been done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    If they both have full service history and similar prices id say go for the one with less miles. 120k is a lot of miles.
    No it isn't.
    I had a jag with over 300k on the clock and it was fine.

(Original post by JC.)
    No it isn't.
    I had a jag with over 300k on the clock and it was fine.
    120,000 miles of abuse is quite a lot. 120k miles of good driving is fine. You can't assume one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    120,000 miles of abuse is quite a lot. 120k miles of good driving is fine. You can't assume one or the other.
    Yes exactly. To me, a full dealer service history (or near enough) is priceless. I would also avoid any ones that have any hint of modifications, sometimes signal abuse. I would buy a nice clean one and take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    I would save up and get one with more power. 2ltr in a 3 series is slooooooooow!

Also, don't rely on mileage, go and see both cars and check out the overall condition of both. Mileage can be easily faked and you will be able to tell more from sitting in the car, talking to the owner and doing engine checks the age and abuse of the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggillystyle)
    what model year are they? id go for the one with less mileage like emma said!
    The 323ci is 2000 reg whereas the convertible is a 52 plate.

Thanks for the advice guys.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't worry too much about the miles buddy, as long as its been serviced regularly and looked after it will keep going fine. Beemers have a solid engine generally anyway.

A convertible would be sickk but tbh how much sun do we get in this country lool. I'd go for the coupe myself but if u choose the convertible deffo invest in a hard top. this mite be £500+ tho

Get some pics up!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.