Turn on thread page Beta

Why is sexism against men overlooked? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This was an interesting question came across on another forum, and I thought I'd pose the question on this forum. Personally, I think it is overlooked quite a bit in society. In comparison to sexism against women, people just don't seem to care when it comes to sexism against men. It's come to a point where we're now having something called 'positive discrimination' in order to get more female MP's. I never thought the words 'positive' and 'discrimination' would be used in the same phrase, but there you go. There are obivously alot more examples to illustrate the apathy towards sexism against men.

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    This is why Feminism is a modern day joke.

They fight for equal rights only when it suits them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    This is why Feminism is a modern day joke.

They fight for equal rights only when it suits them.
    I am a female and I agree. I am against sexism, and that means both women and men have equal rights.

Neither females nor males should get treated better than another. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It isn't.

Every. Single. Man. I know complains about it, even women have got on the act.

And positive discrimination is our version of affirmative action. Women do still experience certain inequalities, although they are mostly equal before law, I am currently on the fence about whether or not affirmative action is desirable or justifiable in order to bring greater social and economic parity. I have heard convincing arguments from both sides and I am ill educated on this issue so I prefer not to pass judgement. I'll happily pass a preliminary judgement on individual pieces of affirmative action given it's context and implications in a fashion I understand but on the entire idea of gender based affirmative action I'm uncertain.

ReputationRep:
    Feminists say no to sexism as a whole, but when it happens to a male on TV or in the media, they dont go balling and shouting about it then do they? but when one comment is said about a woman oh its world war 3 then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    What do you call a woman who knows where her husband is every night?
    A widow.
    What do you call a man who knows where his wife is every night?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because men aren't and have never been discriminated against as a gender as a whole. Ever heard of straight white male privilege?

ReputationRep:
    i suppose the same way racism against white people is overlooked!

ReputationRep:
    Victoria Coren was on Frank Skinner's opinionated and this subject was broached, she believes that as women have been under the oppression of sexism for so long they deserve lee-way on this matter and it is a sort of way to get revenge on all the years that they have suffered for it. It is a mini act of rebellion

ReputationRep:
    You know what pisses me off the most from this whole womans right movement thing..

Loose Women.

ReputationRep:
    Collective guilt over past conditions is a major factor.
    Also the unspoken social presumptions that, broadly speaking, women are victims, and men are perpetrators.
    Then there is biology and differing attitudes/behavioural traits between genders.

I find it quite interesting that the OP has found that every man he knows complains about it.
    I've pretty much never heard of it being brought up at all, outside the internet.
    I suppose the males I know were too busy ogling them to worry about them being unduly favoured :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatebrownbread)
    i suppose the same way racism against white people is overlooked!
    OMDZ!! Ur usrnme iz sooo rasist!!!

ReputationRep:
    The same reason we have the phrase "Man up".

ReputationRep:
    "What's the easiest way to a man's heart?"

"Simple. With a knife; straight through the chest"

Statements like this from female entertainers gather laughter on both sides and are regarded as just banter. But if it came from a man; he'd be sacked from whatever post he had and subjected to public disgrace.

Tis why egalitarian (regarding to gender) societies are quite the myth

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe it is because men tend to care less or try not to show that they care. Maybe they do it to keep up their macho appearance or they really couldn't care less. But in my opinion, I do agree with the whole feminism being pretty silly in modern times. Equality is a better term by far that can apply to everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCaledonian)
    Victoria Coren was on Frank Skinner's opinionated and this subject was broached, she believes that as women have been under the oppression of sexism for so long they deserve lee-way on this matter and it is a sort of way to get revenge on all the years that they have suffered for it. It is a mini act of rebellion
    what suffering haha its not like they were oppressed

ReputationRep:
    Same reason racism against black people is considered worse. Women and blacks were treated badly in the past, and now that there's equality society has become ridiculously hypersensitive against any sort of discrimination against those groups of people.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because male sexism is not really something that affects men a great deal. They may get pissed off at some sexist things women say, but that is as far as it will go.

On the other hand, sexism towards females has long been an issue in the past. Women were not considered equals to men until recently in society, and even still the elite of society (MPs, CEOs, etc) tend to be male. This is despite the fact that for these jobs to be representative of the population, there would actually have to be more females occupying them because the general population contains more females than males. Women are still treated appallingly in Third World and Arab countries.

Basically in general, women have long been oppressed and denied equal opportunities because of sexism and to some extent still are. On the other hand, men have never been hindered by sexism and so it is not really a major issue for their gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil2008)
    Same reason racism against black people is considered worse. Women and blacks were treated badly in the past, and now that there's equality society has become ridiculously hypersensitive against any sort of discrimination against those groups of people.

ReputationRep:
    racism towards white people is also overlooked. Maybe in society it is seen that women are more prone to sexism and black people are more prone to racism so the other half are overlooked?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.