Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is sexism against men overlooked? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    I was being sarcastic. The former part of that comment anyway.
    Apologies. I should get some sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fumblenuts91)
    Apologies. I should get some sleep.
    No worries I was going to state the sarcasm with the edit but I put a smiley face there instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCaledonian)
    Victoria Coren was on Frank Skinner's opinionated and this subject was broached, she believes that as women have been under the oppression of sexism for so long they deserve lee-way on this matter and it is a sort of way to get revenge on all the years that they have suffered for it. It is a mini act of rebellion
    And a bloody stupid one at that. Why take your revenge on generations who had no hand in establishing a patriarchal society of the past? It's pathetic mud-slinging on the feminists' behalf. I don't want to be screwed out of a job by feminists when I have nothing to do with sexist values of the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    because on the whole men just let it be and don't make a fuss out of it and stick up for themselves.
    you really should
    That's a pretty stupid answer really. If I applied this to women, meaning they shouldn't really 'fuss about' sexism, because it's somehow 'not a big deal,' there would be an uproar. What about if you applied this to racism, or any sort of discrimination? Obviously, if you posted this about racism instead, you'd get a massive neg rep bar in under a minute. I'll humour you though. Women should really stop (and you should too, if you are) fussing about sexism, because it isn't a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Amusingly, the European Court decided that the current rules on car insurance and gender (i.e. women pay lower premiums as they are statistically less likely to make big insurance claims) was sexist, and as a reult women now have to pay higher insurance premiums.

So, looks like my car insurance renewal will be falling a fair bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hadouken)
    You know what pisses me off the most from this whole womans right movement thing..

Loose Women.
    First thing I thought of when I saw this thread and in equal measure.

The only thing that irritates me are things like the all females taxi driver firm. It's playing on the stereo type that 'men are bad'. Taxi drivers are licensed and called in herego they are as safe as possible. If people are getting in unlicensed cabs or picked up off the roadside what is the likelihood it will end well? Not to mention there are plenty of female taxi drivers working for the big operators anyway.

Also the portion of women spouting off about job equality need to seriously understand what they are talking about. There's a massive discrepancy that won't be addressed in a few years. Women who wanted to work came into a market saturated with working men who were already in trades and thus naturally will have advantages until the gender loop balances out over time.

What is not needed is leg up programmes for people because they are not right for the job. The fact they belong to a group that was discriminated against in the past does not mean they should get a sympathy bonus in a job interview.

There are some jobs that large contingents of women have a negative impact on. Policing being one of them. No matter how much training they get, they will always be physically inferior to their male counterparts. Now the fur will fly when you suggest this, but the big picture is that if more men dominate this area it frees up more jobs that are then available in different areas.

The women who campaigned for equality are being poorly represented by those who demand superiority. It is undermining everything the suffragists wanted. Right now every woman is causing the same debate that Emily Davison did. If this negative sexist dogma is prevalent through what we consider highly educated, strong, professional women then the natural conclusion would have to be one of a raised quizzical eyebrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    That's a pretty stupid answer really. If I applied this to women, meaning they shouldn't really 'fuss about' sexism, because it's somehow 'not a big deal,' there would be an uproar. What about if you applied this to racism, or any sort of discrimination? Obviously, if you posted this about racism instead, you'd get a massive neg rep bar in under a minute. I'll humour you though. Women should really stop (and you should too, if you are) fussing about sexism, because it isn't a big deal.
    i didn't say it wasn't a big deal and that no one should make a fuss.. I said people don't seem to care as much about sexism against males because you don't make a fuss about it and don't draw peoples attention to it so it gets over looked. and that you SHOULD be more vocal about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    i didn't say it wasn't a big deal and that no one should make a fuss.. I said people don't seem to care as much about sexism against males because you don't make a fuss about it and don't draw peoples attention to it so it gets over looked. and that you SHOULD be more vocal about it...
    :facepalm: sorry, I guess when you said, 'you really should' I interpreted that as I, in particular, should follow everyone and just not care. It's good that you think we should be more vocal though, and I agree. Quite a lot of guys (and people in general) are pretty apathetic towards it.

ReputationRep:
    This was an interesting question came across on another forum, and I thought I'd pose the question on this forum. Personally, I think it is overlooked quite a bit in society. In comparison to sexism against women, people just don't seem to care when it comes to sexism against men. It's come to a point where we're now having something called 'positive discrimination' in order to get more female MP's. I never thought the words 'positive' and 'discrimination' would be used in the same phrase, but there you go. There are obivously alot more examples to illustrate the apathy towards sexism against men.

Opinions?
    Women are for sex and men are the boners.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: sorry, I guess when you said, 'you really should' I interpreted that as I, in particular, should follow everyone and just not care. It's good that you think we should be more vocal though, and I agree. Quite a lot of guys (and people in general) are pretty apathetic towards it.
    noo I meant you really should make a bigger deal out of it when it happens

ReputationRep:
    If you feel discriminated against in some fashion, why don't you stand up and say something about it rather than complain about feminism?

ReputationRep:
    Because men have literally dominated history, so perhaps it is time for women to take prominence.

ReputationRep:
    Historically women were like second class citizens, hence their sexism would be taken more seriously... a progressing society does not want to revert to its former self.

Though you're right sexism against us lads is usually overlooked, which is why I agree with the poster who said that contemporary feminism is now largely a joke.
    Though give it a few dozen years and this may be addressed... society is weird that way.

ReputationRep:
    I think as well as men being considered stronger, more able to take banter and also more likely to give banter back, there's also the fact that for a long time, women were, for want of a better word, opressed by men, both at home and in general. At home, they couldn't go out to work or do what they wanted to, they were expected to clean, cook and raise children. In general, there was a long time when women couldn't vote, and even then there were much stronger regulations on how old they had to be to vote - these rules were imposed by men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    omdz!! Ur usrnme iz sooo rasist!!!
    hahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
    As has been stated, females have really only recently gained 'equal rights' and in a heck of a lot of high profile careers in particular they still face discrimination.

And I don't understand why people think feminism is a joke? Do people even know what it actually is? I think when the word 'feminism' comes into people's heads they automatically associate it with 'radical'.

Personally, I don't think that sex like race etc should be an issue but hey, that's life, there are always going to be those narrow-minded few who have a problem with certain people.
    Personally I'm ok with feminism as long as they take the good with the bad, but it seems at the moment they only support equal rights when it suits them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Seems like anti discrimination laws always end up coming full circle and simply preaching discrimination against the "enemy/espouser of discrimination". It's all rather Orwellian.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its overlooked necessarily. Society has continually and systematically discriminated against women on a wide scale, and the historical context means sexism against women which is more widespread was under the spotlight. Sexist remarks are still acceptable in society against men and women by a lot of people but not feminists, who understand that these remarks perpetuate gender stereotypes, so I find it strange how people attack feminist for this point when they are completely against sexism regardless of gender.

ReputationRep:
    1) Lack of male movements highlighting the problem that the average man has supported as well.

2) A lot of guys I know who do complain about gender inequalities towards men often insult females at the same time, thus isolating women from agreeing with them.

3) Grey areas on what is actually sexist towards men.

4) Men (and some women) being too concerned over masculinity thus creating sexism against men who don't fit into the gender stereotype and also makes people perceive the negatives of the stereotypes as more common. It also stops men from reporting rape and domestic violence, which again keeps problems men face hidden.

5) In relation to above, parents teaching their children to be sexist towards men. Children are told to stay away from strange men and daughters often told by both parents that all men want from them is sex and they need to be careful towards them.

6) On a whole and on a global scale, women still face more discrimination than men, thus drawing attention away from male discrimination.

7) Not even feminism is taken that seriously, it is always taken the mick out of and stereotypes against feminists such as they are all men hating dykes also devalues it. In return, movements against male discrimination is also devalued by people stating men are over reacting, only having a dig at women and all the men that support it are women haters.

8) Some individuals that have called for the end of male discrimination have been too extreme, making it out that men should control women completely and call for a system where women are basically less than housewives. This turns people against anything that might highlight and protest against male discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Feminist = advocate of equal rights for men and women.

Anyone who calls themselves a feminist and neglects the rights of men in pursuit of the rights of women is a sexist, not a feminist. Can we stop using feminist as a dirty word?

So:

1) Let's not tar all feminists with the same brush, many of you here are feminists, though, like me, you may not chose to identify as such deliberately.
    2) The double standard is a dangerous thing for both men and women.

This whole tit-for-tat mentality is only contributing to the division between the sexes and reinforcing the gender binary and associated stereotypes, it's all a bit silly really. There's a real issue at hand here, and it's the fight between the sexes itself that is the problem rather than individual symptoms.

And it will probably never go away. People will fight and blame and generalise, what better than a fundamental facet of humanity (and other primates) - sex?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.