Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone here NOT planning on doing a typical 9-5 job? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gravityisamyth)
    Have you started writing already? Just curious.
    Got an intro done, but I might scrap that and start something different, head back to the drawing board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I'm leaning towards starting my own business :yep: The thought of sitting in an office from 9-5, earning other people money doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. My ultimate, wildest-of-all-dreams, goal is to found a successful transport company.
    Nice! What sort of transport are you look at?

Are you willing to take the risk of it failing etc., do you have any back up plans? Also do you reckon you're clued up about how to start a business, its risks etc.

But good aspiration! I always get happy when people have ambitions of starting their own business, not really sure why. Maybe it's because it seems too difficult to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    I worked in the recording industry for the pat 5 years or so. And ran my own events company.

When I was working in studios I did 15 hour days. My longest 1 day session was 26 hours at Abby Road. If you work in live sound/events you'll do more than that. By the by there's **** all money in recording anymore.

I've now sold out and applying for a graduate entry medicine degree.

So whilst I won't be working in the creative industry, I doubt I'll ever have a 9-5 job!
    Studio Engineer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayonaraSamm)
    Got an intro done, but I might scrap that and start something different, head back to the drawing board.
    That's cool. I wrote an opening paragraph once when I had a moment of inspiration and that's as far as I got...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnVogue)
    I'm looking to continue my current business ventures when I go to uni, and then after that, start a few more and retire by 30 and start a social enterprise helping new entrepreneurs.
    What are your "current business ventures"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    My future career plans are as such:

Blue Peter Presenter
    Script writer for film or tv (preferably Doctor Who, but I'm not too fussy)
    Author
    Lecturer
    Teacher
    Beautician/Make Up Artist
    Own a Boutique
    Interior Decorator
    Marketing Director
    Managing Director of some company or other
    Entrepreneur (IF I come up with some awesome invention)
    Charity worker
    Personal Assistant
    Headteacher

Some of these are 9-5, some aren't ah the joy of a degree which lets you do anything :woo:
    What degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opinionscount66)
    Exactly what I do now....but I am also a student on top of that.
    Web Designer?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    What degree?
    English Language pretty flexible as degrees go!

ReputationRep:
    when i get my degree, i'm gonna do a personal training course(i love to workout) and i'll persure personal training career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francistheswole)
    when i get my degree, i'm gonna do a personal training course(i love to workout) and i'll persure personal training career
    I actually think that's a great idea. I love working out as well... would be great to work in an environment where fitness is treated as the sole aim. Would force you to be healthy anyway. Better than the fatty bankers who care so much about their bonuses that they forget about health while using seamlessweb to order their Chinese takeout

What's the pay like? If it's more than 20k that'd be a good job imo.

ReputationRep:
    Become an International Singing Sensation

ReputationRep:
    Well, hopefully working as some sort of character/2D artist in a games company n__n

Which means the hours are more like 8am - 4am but still, not very typical

Actually, on my work experience I was the most formally-dressed one there... Including the CEO.

ReputationRep:
    What are your "current business ventures"?

I run a web design business that helps local companies get online, and also a web content agency that helps businesses and websites with their newsletters.

Nothing major, but it brings in a nice couple of hundred a month.

ReputationRep:
    Web Designer?
    Nah- It doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Me! I plan to go into either clinical microbiology/virology or clinical haematology.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you working with him and why is he a billionaire?
    I showed my presentation and communication skills at an event + I'm at what is widely known as the top business school in the world. It has produced many billionaires. That doesn't exactly mean that the billionaire I'll be working with is an alumni. I can't describe the billionaire, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    People pay for my company sometimes...

...and no I don't mean what that sounds like. I mean I work as a Carer and some of my jobs don't involve care at all, just companionship. Not 9-5 shifts either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agolati)
    I showed my presentation and communication skills at an event + I'm at what is widely known as the top business school in the world. It has produced many billionaires. That doesn't exactly mean that the billionaire I'll be working with is an alumni. I can't describe the billionaire, sorry.
    how did you get into a US school out of curiosity. Did you just apply there?

How much are the fees, must cost a bomb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceWater)
    I actually think that's a great idea. I love working out as well... would be great to work in an environment where fitness is treated as the sole aim. Would force you to be healthy anyway. Better than the fatty bankers who care so much about their bonuses that they forget about health while using seamlessweb to order their Chinese takeout

What's the pay like? If it's more than 20k that'd be a good job imo.
    i'm not sure, some personal trainers can earn 100k a year if they are known.

personal can charge 30quid+ a session and a session is one hour, if you have loads of clients you can get good money. but if you are doing sessions in a gym you have to pay to rent out the gym etc.

at least i can enjoy waking up to a career like that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceWater)
    Nice! What sort of transport are you look at?

Are you willing to take the risk of it failing etc., do you have any back up plans? Also do you reckon you're clued up about how to start a business, its risks etc.

But good aspiration! I always get happy when people have ambitions of starting their own business, not really sure why. Maybe it's because it seems too difficult to me.
    Dream of all dreams would be airline and ferries - I have an unhealthy obsession with those industries and what goes on in them. I couldn't just set up either of them just like that, so I'd start in something smaller like buses and work my way up.
    I'm pretty well informed on the risks to new businesses - my dad is a Business Manager at Lloyds TSB with 30 years experience :tongue:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.