Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone here NOT planning on doing a typical 9-5 job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ten till three is my ideal working hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Hill)
    I'm planning on winning the lottery, so I won't need a 9-5 job
    Haha this is pretty much my plan too.. but I'm gonna have to think of a backup plan pretty sharpish; the lottery machines don't seem to like my numbers very much!

ReputationRep:
    My ideal career choice doesn't involve much 9 - 5 office work, it involves a lot of time being on a construction site and ordering the labourers around.

ReputationRep:
    I want to work 9-5 at a later point in my career. I want to spend time with my family, hobbies and so on.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    My future career plans are as such:

Blue Peter Presenter
    Script writer for film or tv (preferably Doctor Who, but I'm not too fussy)
    Author
    Lecturer
    Teacher
    Beautician/Make Up Artist
    Own a Boutique
    Interior Decorator
    Marketing Director
    Managing Director of some company or other
    Entrepreneur (IF I come up with some awesome invention)
    Charity worker
    Personal Assistant
    Headteacher

Some of these are 9-5, some aren't ah the joy of a degree which lets you do anything :woo:

ReputationRep:
    My name is Steve. I want to work a 9-5 and earn a decent salary with which I can buy a car and support a family, eventually. Frankly I think anyone who doesn't want to work a 9-5 is an idiot and is throwing away a comfortable life.
    How boring.

You could probably live that life while playing the Sims.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't a clue as to what I want to do, but I know I don't want to work 9-5 (from experience).

Though, if I loved what I was doing, I can't say 9-5 would be an issue. But since there's nothing out there I really want to do, it's not even really worth mentioning that.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't planned anything yet as such, but I would love a job that lets me travel round the world, and work when I need to. Personally, I'd hate to be an office drone, same thing, same office, same people, every day, 9 - 5. Go home, have dinner, go to sleep, do it again the next day. Of course, I'm being unrealistic because you can't get everything for nothing, but jobs like those in the oil industry often involve spending a few months in some part of the world, then a holiday for the rest of the year.

ReputationRep:
    If you were an air hostess or a pilot on a long flight what would your hours be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    My future career plans are as such:

Blue Peter Presenter
    Script writer for film or tv (preferably Doctor Who, but I'm not too fussy)
    Author
    Lecturer
    Teacher
    Beautician/Make Up Artist
    Own a Boutique
    Interior Decorator
    Marketing Director
    Managing Director of some company or other
    Entrepreneur (IF I come up with some awesome invention)
    Charity worker
    Personal Assistant
    Headteacher

Some of these are 9-5, some aren't ah the joy of a degree which lets you do anything :woo:
    And what is this magic degree?

ReputationRep:
    I currently have this weird scenario where when I'm back in <home country> I work in an office and when I'm in England, I work from my apartment. I'm mostly in England. I do technical translations and sometimes programming, so my tools of the trade are a laptop and an Internet connection... which are kind of readily available anywhere.

The job is nice since it pays for uni fees and stuff... but it sucks being asked to complete some "important" ten-page translation over the weekend and working until 3am to get it done. The place I work for feels this is justified since they do not control my working hours, which is fair enough IMHO.

Maybe a 9 to 5 job would be nicer since it'd be easier to separate work life and private life. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    The sooner you realise that you are an arm chair adventurer from a middle class family and need a slap, the better. The sooner you realise that will never sell more than 5000 albums, will never start a business making cakes or cute cushions or whatever you art students like doing, or that mammy and daddy will eventually stop funding you around Thailand and Africa, the better. Get a career, get a house, get a fit bird and use all your spare time you have worked hard for to do the things you enjoy paid for with money you have worked hard for. Work hard now, and play even harder later.

ReputationRep:
    Planning to study Medicine. Then become a Doctor!! :awesome:

Hardly the 9-5

ReputationRep:
    I've got plans on starting my own business or being a DJ/music producer (one day) and travelling round and performing. Totally against the notion of a 9-5 job.

ReputationRep:
    Im planning on being a nurse so no 9-5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceWater)
    Ditto. I love multitalented people like you though! What are your niches?
    I play acoustic guitar and sing badly (not going to pretend it's much of a strength) but I compose music and I've written lots of lyrics for some local bands! Poetically you can have a look at my signature, it's pretty old stuff at the moment but some of it I still like. Hoping to one day get published, I mean, there's no money in it but it's extremely enjoyable.

I've done average 9 to 5 jobs, but they are so uninspiring, soul destroying.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by History-Student)
    And what is this magic degree?
    English Language (okay it doesn't let me do sciencey stuff, but still gives me a pretty wide range!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)

There are 2 types of people in my opinion. Bosses and Employees. Winners and Losers.
    That's 4.

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    My name is Steve. I want to work a 9-5 and earn a decent salary with which I can buy a car and support a family, eventually. Frankly I think anyone who doesn't want to work a 9-5 is an idiot and is throwing away a comfortable life.
    My name is Ethan. I want to work 3 days a week as a pilot and have 4 days to do what ever the **** I feel like. I will have a decent salary of £70k+, weill be able to afford a lovely car, support the family and you never know, a Tuscan holiday. Really want that Tuscan holiday god damn it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Hill)
    I'm planning on winning the lottery, so I won't need a 9-5 job
    Funny! So am I.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.