Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello future Reading freshers!

Basically I'm a first year studying animal science at Reading and I'm living in Mackinder hall this year. We have just had our JCR (junior common room, the second/third year guys that look after you in the year) elections. I am your Male Welfare Rep.

Just thought I'd start this thread so those of you that want to live in Mackinder next year can ask all the questions you want and get them answered by someone who lives there!

Also we will be creating a facebook group for you Mackinder freshers in the coming weeks, so that when you get your results, and then your accomodation details, you can all post on the group and find out who you might be living with.
    Some people may not want to know, but i couldnt help myself and actually found 6/8 of my flatmates before hand and it made moving in so much easier since we talked before!

Anyways I'll try and make sure you get any information you want, answer any questions and yeah!

PS. Mackinder is by far the nicest halls! Everyone says its like a hotel, plus you get a double bed, shower and can sleep safely knowing only 1 other person will have used that room before you

ReputationRep:
    Oh and for those of you that are not sure, Dunsden Cresent comes under Mackinder Hall, its just called a different name because its slightly older than Mackinder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradleyAfrikaa)
    ahhh how exciting
    tell us when you do the group please, there is a lot of reading students on a facebook site if you're interested http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?...624728514&ap=1

Really really hope i get in.
    Also what is a welfare rep exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for that Ill join the group and let them know about this!
    What halls have you applied for? Reading is a wicked choice!
    Basically most of/ if not all the halls have a JCR and its a commitee that look after you, organise events and stuff throughout your 1st year
    Theres a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Social Secretaries (mainly the event organisers 1 boy 1 girl), Sports Secretaries ( for sports obviously haha again a boy and a girl) Welfare ( responsible for anything you have problems with, such as bullying, drugs, sex stuff, first aid on nights out, 1 boy...me and a girl) and then RAG (raising and giving for charity) and International Rep(for the international Students)

This year so far We had the most epic freshers week ever, the actual best week of my life. Christmas ball, Hall Socials, Spring Ball, More socials, went to see fireworks for 5th Nov, Paintballing, loads of sports activities.
    But for your year we will also be looking for Fresher Angels, basically you kind of become part of the JCR in helping to promote events in your block, sell tickets and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Ah good
    I haven't applied for halls yet because im not an unconditional but im applying for mackinder, stenton, sherfield, wessex. In that order
    Freshers looks pretty good, actually well excited . Members on that facebook group even talked about doing a paintballing thing!
    Im chantelle on there btw, you'll probs see me

ReputationRep:
    Hello future Reading freshers!

Basically I'm a first year studying animal science at Reading and I'm living in Mackinder hall this year. We have just had our JCR (junior common room, the second/third year guys that look after you in the year) elections. I am your Male Welfare Rep.

Just thought I'd start this thread so those of you that want to live in Mackinder next year can ask all the questions you want and get them answered by someone who lives there!

Also we will be creating a facebook group for you Mackinder freshers in the coming weeks, so that when you get your results, and then your accomodation details, you can all post on the group and find out who you might be living with.
    Some people may not want to know, but i couldnt help myself and actually found 6/8 of my flatmates before hand and it made moving in so much easier since we talked before!

Anyways I'll try and make sure you get any information you want, answer any questions and yeah!

PS. Mackinder is by far the nicest halls! Everyone says its like a hotel, plus you get a double bed, shower and can sleep safely knowing only 1 other person will have used that room before you

I've applied for Mackinder
    Just wondering how you found your flatmates before you went?
    And is it a pretty friendly halls?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Mackinder is really friendly because its a very social layout, and your very close to other halls to meet other people!
    Basically my JCR this year made a facebook group for us and when we found out our flats and rooms we posted on the group and thats how i found them, so we had like a month of people able to talk to each other
    Dont worry though we will be doing the same this year

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Mackinder is really friendly because its a very social layout, and your very close to other halls to meet other people!
    Basically my JCR this year made a facebook group for us and when we found out our flats and rooms we posted on the group and thats how i found them, so we had like a month of people able to talk to each other
    Dont worry though we will be doing the same this year
    Awesome
    Yeah will make it easier if we can have some idea of who we're gonna live with before we get there
    Just gonna wait for them to accept me now :P

ReputationRep:
    haha :P you will literally find out within the week after u get your results if i remember

ReputationRep:
    already got mine i'm unconditional! but yeah that'll give like 2 months which is good!

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering doing the 31 week residency period because its not as expensive. Do you know anyone else who stayed there for 31 weeks and how they found it because obviously at christmas, easter and summer you have to move all your stuff out.
    let me know

ReputationRep:
    Yeahhh thats what im doing at the moment and most of my friends, and flatmates are too.
    Its alright, i mean you stay for 10 weeks at a time so like its no hassle, and say you finish on the friday, they let u stay till saturday morning, which gives you time to pack and stuff.

Its not all that bad, its just a bit annoying, but you only really have to do it twice, coz like now im finishing first year we have a house and so the summer break we will just move all our stuff from our rooms, down the road into the house and not have to take it home

ReputationRep:
    ok cheers for that I think i'll either go Mackinder or Wessex

ReputationRep:
    how long does it usually take to get a response?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I'm an unconditional and sent my app off First week of may (bit late) but still managed to get Mac Accepted! Just waiting on the official offer now i guess? STOKED!

ReputationRep:
    hi guys I'm in Mackinder from October too! I'm a second year microbiologist (lived in Stenton last year) they are both such lovely halls! Feel free to ask questions , lauren x

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone! i'll be in mackinder this october. i just paid for the deposit but am unsure of which floor i will be in. how do i get that information? do i have to wait for the allocation?

ReputationRep:
    hey!.. yeah i'll be staying in mackinder hall..but how do i find the group on fb?

ReputationRep:
    you will get allocated your rooms in September, last year I had an email around 14th Sept which told me the floor and room number

Pav - the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/OfficialMackinder2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch027411)
    hi guys I'm in Mackinder from October too! I'm a second year microbiologist (lived in Stenton last year) they are both such lovely halls! Feel free to ask questions , lauren x

Hi I'll be staying in Stenton in this coming term. I heard that Stenton hall is much affected by the noise disturbance and dust from the nearby construction site. Is the noise level severe there? Is there any reason u move to Mackinder?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.