Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is most likely to happen in this situation? Watch

• View Poll Results: How likely am I to be able to reapeat
    Tough luck, most likely they'll drop you out.
    20.00%
    maybe
    80.00%
    Most likely.
    0%

ReputationRep:
    So my situation is such:

I'm in first year Computer Science, (in this uni all first year courses of IT are same and no problem swapping them), I passed 2 modules that I needed in first half with minimum + results. Now in second part I passed 1 double module also with minimal results +.

Problems begin:

there's 3 more modules, 2 of them I need least half from exams and I feel like I won't get enough, cos I missed lots of lectures and classes, even got letter from programme office asking me to explain absence, which I did, but didn't hear anything from them after my reply (I assume they accepted that) AND I have week till one's and two till other's exams.

Main problem:

that 3rd module, which is also double module spanning in two parts of year, there was a coursework project with 3 deliverables, I needed 30% from it to pass to next year course that I want to study, I got only 20%. Means I shouldn't be able to go to next year now, unless I change course to one that I find boring or other that I don't like.

So I still need to pass all these 3 modules with half from exams, to get satisfactory 40% of each module, but it will still mean I don't have enough from that pesky coursework to advance to second year of course I want.

I'm really feeling down about it and not sure what to do, I will talk to tutor and programs office of course. But I just want to know maybe someone has similar experience and can answer to these questions:

How is it with repeating university course (my situation 1st year, failed coursework if I pass exams) ?

Is it worth changing for jobs sake the course if I can? (the way I feel, better normal job than no job for years and quitting uni)

and what possibly would change if I fail exams, in case of asking to repeat year?

and how likely am I to repeat year?

also how uni looks at such students..

million thanks.

I don't need morals, about that I shouldn't have missed lectures, it's too late for that and apart just the obvious it won't make anyone feel better anyway. so please don't post such answers, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Summary? My eyes hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Tl; dr please

ReputationRep:
    failed coursework that is needed to go to next year of what I want.
    minimum requirements is how my grades look like.
    missed lectures

how likely am I to repeat 1st year.

short summary.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martynas_UK)
    failed coursework that is needed to go to next year of what I want.
    minimum requirements is how my grades look like.
    missed lectures

how likely am I to repeat 1st year.

short summary.
    Contact your department about it. I'd expect they'd only allow you to resit the year if you had a v. good reason why you weren't able to perform.

ReputationRep:
    bump, more opinions please. is there really no one who had something similar? asking to repeat course or it's just me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    Summary? My eyes hurt.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Contact your department about it. I'd expect they'd only allow you to resit the year if you had a v. good reason why you weren't able to perform.
    this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.