Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone else hate this watch

ReputationRep:
    Well Facebook is becoming more of a platform to prove to your 'friends' that you have a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    The majority are 16-24.
    I'm 20. You'd be surprised at the amount of students, adults who do this every time before they go out.

And in response to someone us, yes i mirin brah u jelly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafa)
    Well Facebook is becoming more of a platform to prove to your 'friends' that you have a life.
    I don't have Facebook. By your logic, I don't have a life

Or maybe it's because I don't feel the need to post thousands of pictures of what I get up to in my every day life to millions of people around the world that I don't have a life, who knows?

Myspace was where it's at, before it started updating like crazy and became a real **** to use. I only go on there to play Mobsters these days :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    No, I don't hate this. I don't hate anything, for that matter. And neither should you. The word 'hate' is probably the most overused one in the English language. People throw it around without knowing what it even means, particularly British and American people. You may hate someone who killed your father, or raped your mother. But that's about it. Hate is a horrible, extreme feeling and should be reserved for extreme cases. You may find these girls on facebook annoying, or irritating, or off-putting, but you definitely don't hate them.

I could write the same rant for that four letter word starting with 'L', by the way...
    It took me a whole minute to figure out which 4-letter word beginning with 'L' you were talking about I think revision's addled my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeschylus)
    On facebook. Girl (it's always girls) post up a picture of them that come on my news/stalker feed so I get to see them whether I want to or not

- doing duckface into a mirror
    -bending over to show her cleavage
    - wearing hot pants/bikini flaunting various part in the mirror (that more often than not are two sizes two small
    - all of the above
    - (if girl is in relationship) kissing her ex/ ex kissing her on cheek

posting an attention seeker picture to get attention (fair enough...)

BUT THEN

the responses make me sick on my mouth

"awww bbzzz you look so gorgeous lv you <3<3<3"
    "aww darling you look so lovely wish I had your [insert various bodily feature]
    [guy] "hey hottie you look sexy xxxx" (not if girl is in relationship obvs)

and the girl's totally lapping it going "aww thanks bbz xxxx"

Have we become so pathetic as a society that the only way to boost many people's self esteem is posting flirty pictures on facebook for people, many of whom they will barely know, to stare at?

What's worse are the obviously preprogrammed responses that the girl PRETENDS she doesn't expect but obviously is fishing for them

Yes it's 3am. I'm sorry I find this the most annoying thing on the planet, even more than standing barefoot on Lego in the middle of the night
    This is one of the reasons why I rarely use facebook nowdays.

ReputationRep:
    Many girls these days are demonstrating their affliction with histrionic personality disorder through facebook. If a female updates her status, photos too often etc or has more than a few hundred friends, she has confirmed she is unsuitable for a host of civilized activities including intelligent conversation, intimate relationships and child-rearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I don't have Facebook. By your logic, I don't have a life

Or maybe it's because I don't feel the need to post thousands of pictures of what I get up to in my every day life to millions of people around the world that I don't have a life, who knows?

Myspace was where it's at, before it started updating like crazy and became a real **** to use. I only go on there to play Mobsters these days :cool:
    This is what I exactly meant, maybe you misunderstood me. I've had Facebook deactivated for months now :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    Why don't you just delete them from your feed? Or block them if it matters that much. Of course it takes a third of a second to just scroll right through it, I don't see why it takes that much effort to ignore; granted if you saw this 15 times a day I would see where it might get a little aggravating for you.
    I agree this this :yy:.

Meh, I'm pretty indifferent to that stuff. And I don't understand what's to hate though, OP? They're just having fun, and if you dislike it that much, it is easy enough just to ignore/block/delete them or whatever.

What I do have a pet hate about though, is when people wryt in stupid txt msg spk lyk dis on da internet (haha, terrible example, but you get what I mean?). I have a couple of cousins who do this on Facebook, and it's quite annoying, especially when they're chatting to me. Really, I find there's no excuse for typing like that on a computer with a perfectly good QWERTY keyboard :facepalm2:. It just looks stupid and slightly irritating to read. In fact, thankfully I don't even need to text like that anymore since I got an LG Cookie (smartphones FTW! :smug: ).

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me more when people post photos like those you said with the caption "urghh HATE this one I look so fat!" it's just like.. why bother posting it then!?

I have to say, I went through a phase a couple of months ago where I'd comment on all pics that had captions like that with "yeah you do look fat, why not go for a jog?" because I'm sorry- as someone who is actually overweight, it really gets my goat to see young, pretty girls post things like that.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it too. I generally don't like them kind of lasses anyway (orange skin, straw like hair from dying it so much, too much make up, false everything stuck to them, super duper push up bras etc).

The thing about facebook that i hate is when someone dies and friends put R.I.P a certain person. like what if a family member doesnt know and clicks onto their facebook and finds that! Totally disrespectful like! I think its ok when the person is buried or cremated or whatever but i think its a bit much putting that up when a family member or close friend of the person may not know. Like for instance it is reported that the family member of Ronan Kerr a policeman in Northern Ireland was killed, his brother was travelling home to see his mum but found out of his brothers death via Facebook! What a horrible way to find out! RANT OVER!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    I'm doing this to the max: I deleted my account. One of the best decisions I have made
    I don't get people who delete their account. It makes you look strange to other people, plus Facebook can be useful for things and make your life easier than if you didn't have it.

ReputationRep:
    It is irritating, I completely agree with you OP. There's one girl I know who wears push up bras (two sizes too small) and tops that she spills out of and takes pictures of herself leaning forward, and obviously she gets leery comments and she responds by saying ''It's not my fault, my boobs are just on show because they're big'' Erm, no, it's because you're wearing bras and tops purposely that allow you to 'fall out' and then you take pictures of yourself bending over

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people say "no I'm not beautiful!" or "thanks, but I'm not really..."
    You know you look hot in that pic, or you wouldn't post it. You need so much reassurance it's embarrassing. Their parents mustn't have loved them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by csea)
    I hate it when people say &quot;no I'm not beautiful!&quot; or &quot;thanks, but I'm not really...&quot;
    You know you look hot in that pic, or you wouldn't post it. You need so much reassurance it's embarrassing. Their parents mustn't have loved them.
    That irritates me as well, it's like they actually think that when they say that, we don't think they're being arrogant/snobbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I don't get people who delete their account. It makes you look strange to other people, plus Facebook can be useful for things and make your life easier than if you didn't have it.
    Makes me look strange? I don't have to get on every bandwagon. I do my own thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this to the max: I deleted my account. One of the best decisions I have made
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    Makes me look strange? I don't have to get on every bandwagon. I do my own thing.
    you clearly did get on the bandwagon though, by creating a Facebook account in the first place.

there's actually no benefit at all in deleting your account.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.