Turn on thread page Beta

Do you "love" your parents? watch

Just wondered whether normal people (for example over 20) feel a kind of "bond" to your parents.

I wouldn't say I love my parents. I don't even really like them very much. I could be away from them for years and not miss them a bit. I find them annoying. I don't look up to them. And am quite frankly ashamed to be related to them. I don't know what use they are to me apart from financial. That's why I never send mothers day or fathers day cards because it would be insincere.

Like at school when people used to say "which of your parents do you love the most?" I thought well neither of them really.

And on tv when people are at "bootcamp" or whatever and away from their parents for ages and they cry all the time and when they all come home and cry and hug and such like and I just think that's weird and over the top.

Is your mum supposed to hug you and say she loves you when you're little or is that just in films???

Are you supposed to bond with your dad over football or fishing or something?? Is he supposed to tell everyone about what he did at work?

Do you think that not forming a bond with your parents makes it harder to have relationships?

Do you still feel worried about what your parents will think of you?

So... just wondering if it is normal to feel like this or if it is unusual? :confused: Are most people just embarrassed by their parents?

(Also, I read somewhere that autistic children don't bond with their parents. But I'm not autistic.)

ReputationRep:
    I share a lot of your feelings but I do love them I guess though we have no bond.

ReputationRep:
    why are you ashamed to be related to them??

ReputationRep:
    I don't care for em

ReputationRep:
    How strange :s

I've not had the easiest life when it comes to friendships and so family have been the only continuous relationship in my life; I don't see how I could ever NOT love them.

ReputationRep:
    my family are epic
    soz bro looks like you lost the family lottery

(Original post by scotttb)
    my family are epic
    soz bro looks like you lost the family lottery
    What's so epic about your family?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I despise my dad, feel sorry for my mum. But can't say they bring me happiness or that I look up to them. Always dreamed of a better family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    I don't care for em
    lol. Why?

ReputationRep:
    Oh here we go..

We're all going to do the whole "I'm so cool because I'm all cold and detached from my parents" thing :yawn:

Bored now :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Oh here we go..

We're all going to do the whole "I'm so cool because I'm all cold and detached from my parents" thing :yawn:

Bored now :nothing:
    Lol, I'd feel cool if I actually had a bond with my parents. I get jealous of people who have that bond, I don't feel cool being detached at all. Just lonely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Is your mum supposed to hug you and say she loves you when you're little or is that just in films???

Are you supposed to bond with your dad over football or fishing or something?? Is he supposed to tell everyone about what he did at work?

Do you think that not forming a bond with your parents makes it harder to have relationships?

So... just wondering if it is normal to feel like this or if it is unusual? :confused: Are most people just embarrassed by their parents?

(Also, I read somewhere that autistic children don't bond with their parents. But I'm not autistic.)
    Dammmmm OP. I couldn't live without my parents. And yeah my mum did used to cuddle me and tell me she loves me! She still does in all honesty and I love knowing that I have someone who I can always depend on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    I get jealous of people who have that bond, I don't feel cool being detached at all. Just lonely!
    Awh okay, well if you fancy a chat, feel free to add me on msn, just PM me

ReputationRep:
    i love my family

i dont however love most of my relatives my parents included it makes me physically repulsed to know that i breath the same air as them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniversityLAD)
    Dammmmm OP. I couldn't live without my parents. And yeah my mum did used to cuddle me and tell me she loves me! She still does in all honesty and I love knowing that I have someone who I can always depend on.
    thinly veiled 'me and my mum have an incest thing going on' post in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Awh okay, well if you fancy a chat, feel free to add me on msn, just PM me
    Aww thank you That'd be lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    thinly veiled 'me and my mum have an incest thing going on' post in my opinion.
    Or not?

I can't stand my parents they always put me down and couldn't care less about things that are very important to me like being a doctor or constantly criticize my hobbies like cooking and **** off my girlfriends. I wish I had a close relationship with them and I think they think I would be eternally grateful to them but I can't wait to leave home. The only reason I have any relationship with them is financial and I relationships should be based on more than just them putting a roof over your head etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just wondered whether normal people (for example over 20) feel a kind of "bond" to your parents.

I wouldn't say I love my parents. I don't even really like them very much. I could be away from them for years and not miss them a bit. I find them annoying. I don't look up to them. And am quite frankly ashamed to be related to them. I don't know what use they are to me apart from financial. That's why I never send mothers day or fathers day cards because it would be insincere.

Like at school when people used to say "which of your parents do you love the most?" I thought well neither of them really.

And on tv when people are at "bootcamp" or whatever and away from their parents for ages and they cry all the time and when they all come home and cry and hug and such like and I just think that's weird and over the top.

I was having a train of thought earlier which I'd be interested to hear what you'd say to it..
    If you had a choice between torturing X or Y, who would you have tortured? Nobody would know that you were responsible, but you MUST choose one. Just compare members of your family with each other, pets, friends, hypothetical strangers.

So I realised that I am out of touch with humanity.. I got a pet snake last Christmas. My Dad and a single one of my friends (who I haven't talked to much for the last year, she's been away), and maaaaybe my Aunt are the only people who I would not torture. I care for my snake far more than I care for almost anybody.
    No, I'm not autistic either.

As to what you say about bonds.. I don't think that it necessarily a killer for relationships. I had bonded with both parents. Bond severed with my Mum now, due to her open rejection of me. And now I understand the emotional abuse I've had over the years, she's terribly narcisstic.
    I haven't had bonds due to fishing etc. - bonds were just due mutual respect. Hence the lack of bond now with my mother.

And yes, the hugging and crying is over the top. But I have divorced parents, so I'm used to being away from them for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    I found it quite hard and upsetting to read some of the posts on here. Seems weird to not love your parents, but it depends on the growing up stages and the relationship you had with them then. I love my parents, Im 18 and im very proud of it. 50 years from now I will still love them and they have made a major impact in how I live and developed as a person today.

I just find it a shame that others cannot.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.