Turn on thread page Beta

Do you "love" your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    Never really done the whole 'bonding' thing but I do love my parents. My mum is my best friend and my dad is my greatest advisor. Its wierd but I have a wierd way of defining love, basically if I would take a bullet for someone (something my nan said to me when I was like 7) then I love them and I would for both of my parents.

I talk to my mum about everything and the same with my dad. When I was growing up both were quite strict but when they got a divorce (when I was 15) our whole relationship changed. When I sell my company in a few years I intend to buy both of them a retirement home, in fact that is one of the main goals of my life, I guess that isnt really the norm but they are awesome.

Unlucky OP.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's not the clingy, emotional kind. We don't say, "I love you" to each other. Although my mom and I do call each other "babe" :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeeyMon)
    I found it quite hard and upsetting to read some of the posts on here. Seems weird to not love your parents, but it depends on the growing up stages and the relationship you had with them then. I love my parents, Im 18 and im very proud of it. 50 years from now I will still love them and they have made a major impact in how I live and developed as a person today.

I just find it a shame that others cannot.
    What does it mean to "love" your parents?

Like how would you describe it? Like do you think about your parents all the time thinking "god I love them!"

ReputationRep:
    I love my parents but I don't like them, if that makes any sense.

According to people I tell about what my parents did to me, I suffered "abuse". Funny, I never thought about it like that. I do know they ****ed me up. I wouldn't say I love them exactly. I fear my dad, I don't really feel anything positive towards him, sometimes it's nice to hang out with him but only in the way that hanging out with anyone would be nice (nice food, good tv). My mum it's weird, I keep trying to please her and everytime she knocks me down, tells me I'm never good enough, I always let her down, honestly I don't know why I still try. Probably desperation for someone to be proud of me. Pathetic I know.

I don't get the whole family love thing you see in movies. Parents telling their kid I love you, I'm proud of you, kid replying I love you too, you're the best mum/dad in the world. I don't think that's realistic. OP, you're not an American in a soppy movie where everyone is happy, don't feel bad about that, I think it's normal.

I send them mother's/father's day cards but more out of duty than anything else, it always makes me feel like a bad kid that I stand in the card shop reading every single one and thinking "well I don't think you're the best parent. I don't think I couldn't ask for better". Is it just me that thinks that?

(probably get loads of slack for this post. I know having parents is better than watching them killed in front of me in some horrible war zone but that doesn't mean they're faultless, I've tried my best to copy movies and feel like I'm "meant" to towards them but it just doesn't work)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    I love my parents but I don't like them, if that makes any sense.
    no it makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    What does it mean to "love" your parents?

Like how would you describe it? Like do you think about your parents all the time thinking "god I love them!"
    I would describe it as, If I did not have them around I would be really gutted and words can describe really. Yeah I do think that, and obviously it is a different kind of love. I do not go around constantly thinking I love them, but in the day If someone asked I would say well they have done this and that etc. for me - So I do love them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeeyMon)
    I would describe it as, If I did not have them around I would be really gutted and words can describe really. Yeah I do think that, and obviously it is a different kind of love. I do not go around constantly thinking I love them, but in the day If someone asked I would say well they have done this and that etc. for me - So I do love them!
    So you are saying that you love them because they have done stuff for you.

In a way that I love the shopkeeper if he gives me a free chocolate bar.

But what I'm getting at is whether there is an actual "feeling" of love that doesn't depend on them giving you stuff.

(Original post by wactm)
    ... if I would take a bullet for someone...
    Really? I would not take a bullet for my parents. I would say "You are old. You've had your life. You take the bullet for me!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Really? I would not take a bullet for my parents. I would say "You are old. You've had your life. You take the bullet for me!"
    Imagine this hypothetical situation - lets just say you and your parents were the same age. Or, more realistically, you had to choose for them to die now (lets say age 45) or when you reach age 45.

I wouldn't take the bullet for them. Definitely not my mum, she's still winning the battle inside me, she's already shot me multiple times (according to the metaphor). I would take pain from my Dad, he's earned that much. But not life..

ReputationRep:
    Generation A.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult question.. I'd quite happily never see them again, but I do love them. I'm sure that doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it does.

ReputationRep:
    My family's ****ing awesome.

But yes, I could live without them for a while. I love my family but am not a very emotional person so don't really show it.

Ironically, I get that from my dad :/

ReputationRep:
    My relationship with both of my parents has always been very tricky and borderline destructive. Even at 25 there's still A LOT of arguments which I'd always hoped would disappear as I got older. I never tell them I love them or anything like that, but I know that if anything happened to either of them I'd be distraught and with that thinking, I guess I do love them. Sometimes when they 'start up' though I am left wondering if I do only feel so attached to them because they are my parents and society demands that you love your parents.

ReputationRep:
    yes i love my parents and u should also try to be bond with them.dnt think what they havenot done for u but think what they have done for you

ReputationRep:
    I love my Mum although I can't remember either of us saying it to each other. I actually like spending time with her (in small doses), I just wish she was a stronger person, our lives could have turned out a lot different. My Dad, we have never got on, never really talked about anything, when we're on our own it's usually pretty awkward, I used to fantasise about killing him when I was a child. I often wonder how I turned out the way I did because I'm completely different to both of them.

As I've got older I now worry about how I would stop my own children from having such antipathy to me as I do to my father. I think everyone must set out with the best of intentions as parents, but some how it always seems to go wrong.

I think in parenting as in life, some of us give up, some of us flourish and some of us bump along. Who you end up with and how you turn out is due to the DNA they give you and the traits they pass on.

I'd like to think I could pass on my good traits while keeping my bad ones to myself, but I fear the truth is that I may not make the same mistakes as my parents, but will make mistakes none the less. The thought of the responsibility of parenting kind of terrifies me to be honest. Maybe that's the true legacy of a s***y upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    more thn anything in the world

ReputationRep:
    I love my parents...
    yeah sometimes I want to kill them, seriously, but at the end of the day they've done soo much for me just by being there. I'd hate for anything to happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Do you still feel worried about what your parents will think of you?

So... just wondering if it is normal to feel like this or if it is unusual? :confused: Are most people just embarrassed by their parents?

(Also, I read somewhere that autistic children don't bond with their parents. But I'm not autistic.)
    Not worried because I'm at a university making something of my life. Going through making good grades, making a positive impact on my environment, and enjoying my life and finding meaningful fulfillment in it.

I don't think... most people are, however there is no way for us to actually know... but I think most people appreciate their parents somewhat... it largely depends on their financial background, social upbringing, and the environment they live int.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I love my parents, they used to annoy me every so often when I was a teenager and my mum was strict when I was growing up I'm so glad of the way they brought me up and they've done so much for me since I was born.

I don't think I really appreciated them fully until I moved country and now I wish I was back near them, I also realised how much I need them!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.