Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My dad very much so, my mum not at all.

ReputationRep:
    Love my parents very much, I have a great relationship with them. I can't imagine for one second actually feeling "detached" from them, or resenting them, because they're absolutely brilliant people and always have been.

ReputationRep:
    I think the easiest way to work out if you love someone is to imagine them not here any more. Personally it makes me a tad upset thinking about it. So do I love my parents? Yes.

Things haven't always been easy between me and my parents, but when I look how far I've gone in life, I have them to thank for that.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the responses on this thread are quite upsetting to read. I love my parents, I can't imagine not loving them!

I was fine in my first year at uni, never felt that homesick, but in my second year when I've moved into a 5-bed house with other students, I've come to really realise how much I miss them.

Just the littlest things like being able to have a proper conversation, being able to rant about the news or politics, or having someone to stay up late with, having people who appreciate retro-gaming, having someone who gets the sudden craving to go to the seaside or bake at 2am, someone who knows what your limits are so they can give you confidence and encourage you without pushing you too far, someone who will appreciate good music and goes to gigs. I'm used to the directness of my family, we have proper banter and humour from spending the last 21 years together, trying to build up that kind of rapport again from nothing with strangers is bloody impossible. I suppose related to that I have a big connection with my hometown as well.

(I don't know if this is a Norfolk thing, but I've only just had a hearing impairment diagnosed at the age of 21 because my family and 'home' friends (and people from my hometown) talk so much more animatedly and with humour and passion and are so personable, and when I got to uni half of the people mumble or talk so quietly they're unintelligible, I suddenly found myself unable to comprehend half of what anyone was saying. I went to the doctors and they did some tests and went "Yeah you're a bit deaf!" and I hadn't even noticed, everyone in my hometown is so loud!)

I feel like all the passion has been sucked out of the world when I'm not in my home-town. So feel properly strongly attached to my roots Obviously I'm just looking at it through rose-tinted glasses and over sentimentalising it!

I love my mum but I don't talk to my dad. He's made my life very difficult when I was younger. I chose a university which is far away from home and I only go there for like a week over Christmas. I do miss my mum and my siblings but I don't go home if I don't have to because I would have to see my dad. I hate going home for Christmas and I get really nervous weeks before I'm actually leaving.

ReputationRep:
    I have a pretty s*** life, and I'm generally very unlucky and things never go my way.

However, I've been immensely lucky by having the best parents I could possibly ask for.

ReputationRep:
    no. they are crap

I really do love my Mum and wouldn't know what I'd do without her. I had a really close relationship with her when I was little - apparently when she'd get up to leave for work I would block the door and cry because I didn't want her to go :p: So I was a very clingy and emotionally attached child. When I was a teenager things did get worse. She got a boyfriend who I didn't like straight away and I knew he was a bad person. Turned out I was right. For a few years he lived with us and I couldn't stand it - he would cheat on her, abuse her and then manipulate her into thinking it was her fault. I remember writing him a letter telling him how much I hated him when I was younger, and I got punished for it quite badly.

Now though, we're really close again. He's not in our life now and we talk to each other about pretty much anything. She can get really annoying but I know I will miss her loads when I go to university, and she was the only one there for me when I got bullied at school and had a generally rubbish time. I don't always tell her I love her because I'm now quite 'emotionally detached' as some have phrased it, but I always make sure she knows.

As for my Dad - he died when I was 10. From what I remember we weren't close, but I did love him a lot. Sometimes I wonder what our relationship would be like now as I've changed so much and developed as a person over the years. He was so private though; I hardly know about him because we didn't speak in depth (well, I was only a child!) but it feels like he's vanishing from my memory and I hate that. Overall though, yes, I do (well did now) love him.

ReputationRep:
    nooooope i feel nothing for them!

ReputationRep:
    My parents are awesome and incredibly supportive.
    I still feel a strong bond to both my parents and I'm turning 22.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had trouble with my parents, and although we're not the sort of family who shows affection explicitly (hugs, i love you's, pecks) we just know that we all like each other's company and appreciate each other.

As some people, I don't have a bunch of friends so my family, including parents are some of the closest people in my life. So yeah, I'll say I love my parents. However embarrassing they can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenhornedbeast)
    No, I don't. Parents are overrated anyway.
    They really aren't

They are massively underrated.

I also believe that growing up with bad parents affects people in a big way. Society never seems to acknowledge it but many of the *******s around these days could of done with better parents.

ReputationRep:
    Parents are the only ones who will be there for me forever as long as they are alive. They made me, looked after me, made sure I never hurt myself when I was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, fed me, bought me everything I wanted before I started earning, and told me what is right and wrong and are still doing so, help me out if I have problems. They would do anything for me to be happy. I can't see a single reason for not loving my parents.

I can't even imagine not caring for my parents after all they've done for me.

ReputationRep:
    I love my parents. They gave birth to me afterall. Even if they hurt me in a bad way, I would still love and forgive them. I cannot live without them and would forever be close to them.

ReputationRep:
    Autism is a spectrum, it is on a scale, everyone is somewhere along the scale, you are considered 'autistic' if you achieve a score of 32 or more, i myself have one of 11. It may be you are further along the autistic spectrum without actually being considered autistic. I love my parents, i would say i get on better with my mum than my dad though

(Original post by _brody_)
    no. they are crap

(Original post by bananalala)
    nooooope i feel nothing for them!
    Same here.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to bond with my parents but they don't. My dad treats me like i'm something picked off the floor and my mother well she's not really with it so doesn't know about feeling etc...

It's got to the point where i do actually hate my home life and the one person that makes me smile is over 60 miles away so not enjoying life at the moment.

(Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    I also believe that growing up with bad parents affects people in a big way. Society never seems to acknowledge it but many of the *******s around these days could of done with better parents.
    Definately, I agree. I could have done with better parents.

ReputationRep:
    parents are just human and human vary in personalities..
    and so families are different..

personally i love my parents
    i didn't get much of that hugging and stuff like that and i think it's mostly in films
    i can't remember any occasion where i was hugged by father though ^^

but i know that they love me too and care about me
    from what they do for me and how they helped me through out my life

and yeah there is sometimes when i think "god i wish i was born in different family ><"
    but then i thank god I'm not
    and i believe that's normal
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Its kind of upsetting how so many people don't love their parents. I thought if there was one universal trait it would be to love your parents. I'm 17 and personally I love my parents so much - I can't imagine life without them.

Having said that, everyone has different families so I appreciate why this is the case.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.