The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
a phobia doesn't have to mean afraid

Erm, yes it does. Let's check the wikipedia definition -

"A phobia (from the ?????, phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is an intense and persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, animals, or people."

YES it does mean fear, not repulsion or hate.
Reply 41
Original post by allura
Why is everyone attacking the OP? He simply said that eurotophobia could be the reason behind a smaller percentage of people being 'confused' about their sexuality, he even stated in his post that it's obviously not a reason behind homosexuality.

Well maybe he shouldn't have started with a title generalising all homosexuals to be sufferers of a vagina phobia.
Original post by Phobia27
Erm, yes it does. Let's check the wikipedia definition -

"A phobia (from the ?????, phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is an intense and persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, animals, or people."

YES it does mean fear, not repulsion or hate.

No it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

'Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, and in some cases transgender and intersex people and behaviour. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear'

So in your opinion homophobia isn't a phobia because no one is scared of homosexual men, they just find homosexuality repulsive and have a negative attitude to it.

Also, you may want to look at these paragraphs from your own source :facepalm:

Non-psychological conditions

The word "phobia" may also signify conditions other than fear. For example, although the term hydrophobia means a fear of water, it may also mean inability to drink water due to an illness, or may be used to describe a chemical compound which repels water. It was also once used as a synonym for rabies, as an aversion to water is one of its symptoms. Likewise, the term photophobia may be used to define a physical complaint (i.e. aversion to light due to inflamed eyes or excessively dilated pupils) and does not necessarily indicate a fear of light.

Terms for prejudice or discrimination

A number of terms with the suffix -phobia are used non-clinically but have gained public acceptance, though they are often considered buzzwords. Such terms are primarily understood as negative attitudes towards certain categories of people or other things, used in an analogy with the medical usage of the term. Usually these kinds of "phobias" are described as fear, dislike, disapproval, prejudice, hatred, discrimination, or hostility towards the object of the "phobia". Often this attitude is based on prejudices and is a particular case of most xenophobia. These non-clinical phobias are typically used as labels cast on someone by another person or some other group.

Below are some examples:

Chemophobia prejudice against artificial substances in favour of "natural" substances.

Ephebiphobia fear or dislike of youth or adolescents.

Homophobia fear or dislike of homosexuals or homosexuality.

Xenophobia fear or dislike of strangers or the unknown, sometimes used to describe nationalistic political beliefs and movements. It is also used in fictional work to describe the fear or dislike of space aliens.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
No it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

'Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, and in some cases transgender and intersex people and behaviour. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear'

So in your opinion homophobia isn't a phobia because no one is scared of homosexual men, they just find homosexuality repulsive and have a negative attitude to it.

The use of the word homophobia is used incorrectly, but since it is now so integrated into our society, people just use it for talking about hate towards homosexuals. If you actually read on in that same wikipedia article, it talks about the origin of the word and how it was initially used to describe people who might be afraid of being gay, and is now used as a word to discriminate against homosexuals.
The use of the word homophobia is used incorrectly, but since it is now so integrated into our society, people just use it for talking about hate towards homosexuals. If you actually read on in that same wikipedia article, it talks about the origin of the word and how it was initially used to describe people who might be afraid of being gay, and is now used as a word to discriminate against homosexuals.

Therefore if its accepted by our society that homophobia is an attitude of negativity towards homosexual people then its fair to say that Eurotophobia could be an attitude of negativity towards female genitalia is it not? Some homophobic people may be slightly afraid of homosexual men but I would say it mostly stems from a negative feeling towards homosexual men. Some eurotophobic sufferers may be afraid of vaginas, some may have a negative feeling towards vaginas. Its a very plausible viewpoint.
Reply 45
Therefore if its accepted by our society that homophobia is an attitude of negativity towards homosexual people then its fair to say that Eurotophobia could be an attitude of negativity towards female genitalia is it not? Some homophobic people may be slightly afraid of homosexual men but I would say it mostly stems from a negative feeling towards homosexual men. Some eurotophobic sufferers may be afraid of vaginas, some may have a negative feeling towards vaginas. Its a very plausible viewpoint.

No, because the definition of phobia is an irrational fear of something, and only in a few instances has a term initially describing a phobia has been turned into something else, like homophobia has been. No one has ever described eurotophobia as a negativity towards vaginas, it has always been described as a fear of vaginas, therefore if you are to describe someone who has a negativity towards vaginas, it will need a different term.
Reply 46
Original post by Selkarn
One thing I always thought is that homosexuality could never exist within genes, due to natural selection.

Well you have not thought about it well enough then! ^^

It took us several thousands years to come to the stage where we are now. Natural selection works beautifully but is a long and slow process. If we were to assume that there is definitely a gay gene, caused by a mutation some 3000 years ago then it could still take another 3000 years for that gene to dissapear. So in no way any of your relatives will experience the effects of natural selection.

Think about, even if homosexuality would have been around 3000 years ago, a lot of man still sticked to the 'standard' of being with a woman and have kids. Same for the greek - although man-man relationships were fairly normal most man did have a wife and kids (spreading the gay gene!). It's only really the last 100 years or so that gay people started to sort of be themselves and not date woman to have kids (as it is now fairly accepted in most countries). So actually, eventhough natural selection would normally just filter this mutation out.. it hasn't had the chance yet because men always had women as well. So only now it will be more and more common for gay people to pass away without leaving any kids, then eventually there would be no gay people left BUT as it is 2011 at the moment lol, a lot of gay people adopt kids nowadays and sometimes use there own little swimmers to vertalise an egg. So it's quite possible that 'human technology' won't allow natural selection to work in this way (at least not for gay people).
I don't think it's accurate to say homosexuals are "really just" suffering from eurotophobia, nor that that is the main reason for them being homosexual. That said, I think it might be a factor for a small handful, even if its only subconsciously. A very good friend of mine is gay and whilst I've no doubt that he is genuinely attracted both romantically and sexually to men, it's clear from stuff he says that he has eurotophobia and he's mentioned having psychosexual problems to do with his sexuality.

I'm not entirely sure where I am on the sexuality spectrum tbh but I think I probably have mild phallophobia :yes:
No, because the definition of phobia is an irrational fear of something, and only in a few instances has a term initially describing a phobia has been turned into something else, like homophobia has been. No one has ever described eurotophobia as a negativity towards vaginas, it has always been described as a fear of vaginas, therefore if you are to describe someone who has a negativity towards vaginas, it will need a different term.

Not at all because I've asked people on the straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual and asexual forum and a few asexual members have been diagnosed with Eurotophobia and Phallophobia.

The reasons they gave me stemmed from fear to complete dislike of them as well as getting anxiety attacks when engaging in sexual encounters. Therefore, its not only fear that both of these phobias stem from, its a more complex underlying psychological condition.
View it like this

A man who considers himself straight

Due to his genetic make up and other underlying factors his homosexual/heterosexual tendencies are

80% heterosexual
20% homosexual

Therefore, he is dominantly straight so therefore these urges act a lot stronger than his urges to explore his homosexual desires.

He then engages in a sexual encounter with a woman. He then feels sick repulsively due to Eurotophobia and therefore thinks he must be gay. This is where psychological confusion about his sexuality kicks in.

As he has 20% homosexual tendencies which were always underlying once the confusion has kicked in it leads to an emotional trigger that then leads him to think he must be gay.

Give that he is 20% this then leads him to engaging in a sexual experience with a man. This may then lead to him

1) engaging in a relationship with another man due to confusion
2) he finds penises repulsive too and therefore must be asexual

However, given that so many homosexual people have first considered themselves straight, then homosexual, then gone back to being straight again, it could mean that phobias are the reason for the homosexual stage in the middle due to psychological confusion.
This is a serious question and is no way an insult. I saw this on a health TV channel last night and was intrigued as I'd never heard of such a phobia before.

Basically, Its a phobia of vaginas. So I was wondering if homosexual men are really just suffering from this phobia. As they have this phobia they are then obviously repulsed by vaginas and therefore assume they are homosexuals.

Then, I wonder if homosexual women were sufferers of Phallophobia, a fear of penises.

Surely, this could be the case? Especially considering neither of these phobias are actually heard about in the media so a large proportion of the global population are likely to be unaware of such phobias.

I'm not homophobic in any way, Its a serious question and if it comes across as an insult then I do apologise in advance.

I'm sure that the majority of homosexuals are because they are attracted to the opposite sex but surely its also likely that there is a small percentage that are suffering from these phobias. For example; those that go through a phase or those that say they are confused about their sexuality. Maybe, these phobias are the reason for their underlying confusion.

Discuss Please!

Bisexuals say hi.

Also being afraid of one thing doesn't suddenly make you attracted to another. "Oh no, I'm afraid of teeth, I must be turned on by toothbrushes!!11"
Reply 51
Not at all because I've asked people on the straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual and asexual forum and a few asexual members have been diagnosed with Eurotophobia and Phallophobia.

The reasons they gave me stemmed from fear to complete dislike of them as well as getting anxiety attacks when engaging in sexual encounters. Therefore, its not only fear that both of these phobias stem from, its a more complex underlying psychological condition.

Well the people who said that had a fear of them or were getting anxiety attacks from them clearly have the phobia, because you wouldn't be getting those attacks without some underlying fear or nervousness when around them.

As for the people who said they disliked vaginas, have they actually gone to a doctor, said they disliked vaginas, and was diagnosed with that phobia? Because I seriously doubt that. The more likely scenario is that they saw the word on the internet and felt they mildly related to it so they self-diagnosed themselves, even though they said they disliked them, not feared them. It's like me saying I dislike cats, and then saying I have ailurophobia.
What about bisexuals? Your theory kind of falls apart there doesn't it?!

When I'm attracted to someone I can safely say it doesn't depend on their reproductive organs.
Reply 53
This is a serious question and is no way an insult. I saw this on a health TV channel last night and was intrigued as I'd never heard of such a phobia before.

Basically, Its a phobia of vaginas. So I was wondering if homosexual men are really just suffering from this phobia. As they have this phobia they are then obviously repulsed by vaginas and therefore assume they are homosexuals.

Then, I wonder if homosexual women were sufferers of Phallophobia, a fear of penises.

Surely, this could be the case? Especially considering neither of these phobias are actually heard about in the media so a large proportion of the global population are likely to be unaware of such phobias.

I'm not homophobic in any way, Its a serious question and if it comes across as an insult then I do apologise in advance.

I'm sure that the majority of homosexuals are because they are attracted to the opposite sex but surely its also likely that there is a small percentage that are suffering from these phobias. For example; those that go through a phase or those that say they are confused about their sexuality. Maybe, these phobias are the reason for their underlying confusion.

Discuss Please!

The reason that your idea is wrong is that homosexuality in a man is not a negative thing defined by repuslion from vaginas, but involves a positive attraction to men and an interest in their sexual organs. If someone is repusled from vaginas but not interested in dicks either, they're probably to some extent asexual. This is a different thing altogether.

Also, gay men are not necessarily afraid of or disgusted by vaginas. They are just not interested in sexual contact with them. And what about bisexuals? They're not afraid of vaginas and enjoy having sex with women, but they're also interested in male sexual organs too.

Your theory also fails to explain lesbianism.
Reply 54
I'm not physically repulsed by penises. It's rather that I fall in love with women. I don't understand this preoccupation with genitalia. It's not that gay women are sexually attracted to vaginas and that this attraction is the sole difference between a straight woman and a gay woman, rather that a gay woman forms meaningful emotional and physical connections with other women, rather than with men.

Likewise, asexual people aren't repulsed by genitalia in the majority of cases. It's just that they're not aroused by them either and don't really see the point or what's so enjoyable about it.
Original post by Roloqueen
The reason that your idea is wrong is that homosexuality in a man is not a negative thing defined by repuslion from vaginas, but involves a positive attraction to men and an interest in their sexual organs. If someone is repusled from vaginas but not interested in dicks either, they're probably to some extent asexual. This is a different thing altogether.

Also, gay men are not necessarily afraid of or disgusted by vaginas. They are just not interested in sexual contact with them. And what about bisexuals? They're not afraid of vaginas and enjoy having sex with women, but they're also interested in male sexual organs too.

Your theory also fails to explain lesbianism.

How does my theory fail to explain lesbianism? you clearly never read it properly as had you read it properly you would have noticed phallophobia, a fear of penises.

So therefore if a woman has a fear/dislike of penises she may explore other options, i.e. lesbian sexual encounters.

Bisexuals wouldn't have a phobia of either vaginas or penises and would obviously feel comfortable about both.

Asexuals may have a phobia of one of the other and then not be sexually inclined to the other or may have a phobia of both.
I've heard quite a few gay men talk about how nasty vagina's are (which is offensive), so the OP might have a point. People aren't necessarily born gay. How many lesbians do you know who are from broken homes? There's a link.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kopite493

it could always be a mutation of the genes

I don't think homosexuality is genetic at all, it's all a social influence. That doesn't make it any more of a choice to be homosexual but in all these wishy-washy neural pathways, same sex attraction just happens to develop in those bi-curious years.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Fear of vaginas :hmmm:??
So homosexuals are
(A) not afraid of any thing about the oppisite sex
(B) are not homosexual b ecause of a phobia.
(C) you think just because you here it some place it could be true.

Homosexuals have emotions and sexual attraction towards the same genger.

Just keep trooling along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending