Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (((Q1)))

Using the fact that we can write the vector cross-product in the form: (A× B)i =? ijk Aj Bk ,
    where ?ijk is the Levi-Civita tensor show that:

Del×( fA) = f Del × A - A × Del f ,

where A is a vector function and f a scalar function.

(((Q2)))

A static magnetic field in a homogeneous, linear, medium with permeability ?0 is given in Cartesian coordinates by:

B(x, y, z) = B0 tanh (x/L) z where L is a constant.

a) Sketch Bz as a function of x/L.
    b) What current density, j(x,y,z) produced this magnetic field?
    c) Sketch any non-zero components of j as a function of x/L.

Could you please provide as much details in every step as possible; this will help me learn.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For question 1, you simply need to apply the suffix notation (the ijk stuff) to the LHS of the equation and the RHS separately. As a hint, in suffix notation, (\nabla \times A)_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \dfrac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_k}, and (\nabla f)_i = \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial x_i}.

Also note that I've only considered the i component of curl A (which is del x A). You should do this for both sides of the equation.

For question 2:

Assuming you meant to write \vec{B} (x,y,z) = B_0 \tanh(x/L) \vec{z}, the B field only has a z-component so you simply have to sketch a tanh graph.

As for the current density, I'm not 100% sure on this but because there is no time varying electric field specified you can use the Maxwell equation:

\nabla \times \vec{B} = \mu_0 \vec{J}

so take the curl of B, divide it by mu0 and that'll give you your current density. The third part should be easy from there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answer, but as i wrote explicitly, i needed the actual steps shown, it would be great help in learning this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.